Auto pilot ?

highhopes

Looking for a auto pilot system for my 18ft centre counsel any recommendations on which one and there price thanks

Looking for a auto pilot system for my 18ft centre counsel any recommendations on which one and there price thanks
@highhopes I use the Lowrance Auto-Pilot and Lowrance HDS 12 system. It’s set up for my 250 hp Etec engine. It performs awesome whether I’m trolling or even cruising across the water. It’s set up on my Wellcraft 230 Fisherman center console. Forgot to mention my system listed over $7,000

I have had a Raymarine smartPilot on two boats, a 17ft center console with 90HP Johnson and cable steering and a 23ft walkaround with a 225 etec and hydraulic steering. I installed it on the 17ft and it came with the 23ft. The drive unit mounts under the steering wheel and basically just turns the wheel. There is also a fluxgate compass that mounts somewhere low in the boat, I put it in the console, and a computer that also went in the console.

It could be used with a GPS unit but all I wanted it to do is hold the boat straight while setting lines and fighting a fish because I fish alone a lot. I use it when I have people on the boat as well because most people can only do figure eights and tangle lines. I don't need it to follow a preset track, but it will. I just use it to hold a course and can adjust with the turn of a knob or push of a button. The system cost me about $2200 but that was a few years ago.

I use a Simrad that's also wired into my Lowrance HDS. It will work on its own though and that was important to me. I can replace or change my sonar if I chose. Does all kinds of wonderful things program wise but other then a long controlled turn I use it to go straight. 1 friend uses a Raymarine and 3 others Go touch simrad units and to me all the same. Mine cost $3500 plus install from Anglers Outfit. Stress free fishing even with a newbie ..................you will catch more fish. Not like you need to in the past 3-4 years but you will.

I have had a Raymarine smartPilot on two boats, a 17ft center console with 90HP Johnson and cable steering and a 23ft walkaround with a 225 etec and hydraulic steering. I installed it on the 17ft and it came with the 23ft. The drive unit mounts under the steering wheel and basically just turns the wheel. There is also a fluxgate compass that mounts somewhere low in the boat, I put it in the console, and a computer that also went in the console.

It could be used with a GPS unit but all I wanted it to do is hold the boat straight while setting lines and fighting a fish because I fish alone a lot. I use it when I have people on the boat as well because most people can only do figure eights and tangle lines. I don't need it to follow a preset track, but it will. I just use it to hold a course and can adjust with the turn of a knob or push of a button. The system cost me about $2200 but that was a few years ago.
Thats what im looking for i fish alone alot and when i take someone with me there driving is a little wild lol

After reading these replies it’s starting to seem that hummingbird is missing out on the auto pilot market that lowrance, Ray marine etc are selling to.

After reading these replies it’s starting to seem that hummingbird is missing out on the auto pilot market that lowrance, Ray marine etc are selling to.
Been a hummingbird man all my life never owned anything else but your right they should wake up and start might change up soon and go some other way thanks guys for all the info

Ever consider a bow mount electric? I have helix 10 linked to my Minn Kota terrova. I push the boat with the kicker and set bow mount to steer. I most often fish alone and have zero issues. Plus bow mount works great for river fishing etc.

I would absolutely consider a bow mount if there is any way you can install one on your boat. I use mine for auto pilot and speed control all the time. I have a fairly high bow for a tin boat, and the 60 inch shaft works for me. They can be ordered with 72 inch shafts now as well if you have a very high bow. Very versatile and also has the spot lock feature for perch fishing as mentioned.

Highhopes, you use your big motor or a kicker for trolling and the bow mount would act as your autopilot. I like this option as well as if you like to say fish the Detroit or St. Clair River for eyes you can use the anchor mode to stay vertical and even do the same for perch on Erie.

I was looking into getting I pilot for my v2 minnkota. $600. Or I was going to sell mine and buy a xi3 $1500 and use it plus my kicker. Then I found this today!! So I'll be picking this up on Monday. Anyone have review on using one of these with a Consol steer?Screenshot_20190213-184858_Kijiji.jpg

Recommend you go with the Motorguide Xi5 , 24 volt with number 31 series batterys for bow mont electric , comes with hand control autopilot and cordless foot control 60 in shaft or 72 in. Lighter than competion , faster and takes less energy, recommend you get a two or three bank charger. See joslyn at Angling Outfitters. 519-539-5494. Trust this helps you Monty

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks