Off Topic Auto pilot question

Minnownite

My brother in law bought two boats last summer. Took goodies off and made one good boat. One of which was an auto pilot. But it's not a normal one and can't find much info on it. Turn it on and just goes straight. Mounts to your steer box under the Consol. Where could I find one? Or what do I search?

Turn it on and just goes straight... isn't that what an autopilot is supposed to do? :confused:

I thought auto pilot was supposed to follow a course or something fancier lol. It just bolted straight to his cable steer box. Maybe it is just a good ol' autopilot

The new models do lots of fancy stuff for a big price but I would be happy with just keeping a straight course while attending the rods, netting fish etc. ?

The new models do lots of fancy stuff for a big price but I would be happy with just keeping a straight course while attending the rods, netting fish etc. ?
That's exactly my plan. Any idea what such a unit cost or place I could find a used one?

You will need to speak with a dealer regarding prices as it will depend on what unit will fit your needs for your particular boat. As to where you can get a used autopilot I can't help you there but maybe somebody on here can.

FYI, the unit I would need to retire my auto pilot brother in law is about $2100.00 taxes in. That's for an 18.5 ft Lund with mechanical steering.

It's supposed to be able to do everything an auto pilot for hydraulic steering can do.

This stuff ain't cheap. :oops::(

hvyhaul… Your not kidding Autopilots are not cheap and probably the reason I don't have one, LOL! I can put up with a few course correction errors and it only costs my co-pilot a cuff on the ear once in awhile. :whistle: :D

Expensive yes.............worth it? Priceless! I manned the helm for decades buuuut once you use one it is worth every penny of the 3k plus I paid. Go straight( Really straight ) s,s, mile long circles, and so on. I had a few teething issues getting mine dialed in. Make sure you are fluent with setting it up or have good support from your installer....I did. Calvin is the best.

What about using a bow mount for this purpose?
That was my next idea. And then you could use it for anchor as well and I would think about the same price. $2-3000 and for me that would be a better way to go since my boat is only worth 5 g. I could take it off if I sell and put on new boat. We'll see what the new year brings

See Josh as he has some MG XI5’s coming in
If I can afford it in the spring I will be adding a bow mount for my auto pilot on Lake O and Erie but then I can also us it on St Clair River or the D to get verticle

@Waldo peters.... a good bow mount will definitely serve the same purpose in all but extreme conditions and who wants to be out there in those type of conditions anyway. Then you will have all the other benefits a bow mount provides such as anchoring, silent trolling in shallow water etc. Your main motor or kicker will supply the thrust needed for trolling so all the bow mount needs to do is keep the boat straight using it's built-in GPS pin point technology. Lots of anglers use their bow mount electric motors for this purpose.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks