are your 12ga shotguns prohib now too???

Outdoors905

sounds like they very well may be

csaaa just released (can't link it for some reason..) that says there's a very good chance that even hunters just got the proverbial shaft

let say this actually works and happens (praying it doesnt) but how does the government plan on paying for all of these buy backs? cant see it happening. Especially with this $xxxxxx they're spending on this covid19

Just spoke with a friend of mine in the firearm industry. He says "Do not go turkey hunting with a 12g shotgun as you now run the risk of using a prohibited firearm"
This is total madness and a government that not only did this without consultation but lied to every hunter in Canada when he and Blair said we are not going after law abiding hunters and their firearms. Next thing on the list is any gun with a scope on it.... get ready!!!

So the interpretation is that the threaded section of a 10 or 12ga shotgun is greater than 20mm with the choke tube out, therefore it is prohibited.

Seems like a lot of drama... The firearm isn't meant to be used without the choke tube in. The section of SOR/2020-96 that states the 20mm rule goes on to list a bunch of rocket launchers and mortar cannons as examples of items prohibited under the section.

If you think that this provision makes your shotgun prohibited, you could braze in your choke tube, cut off that section of the barrel, or sell it to me for $20!

I don't agree with the banning of the groups of firearms the government announced. However, the CSAAA is interpreting the wording of the announcement to get the firearms and hunting community all fire up about it. I don't believe there is any intention to prohibit the 10 or 12 gauge hunting style shotgun.

What my question is what do we do now during turkey season? are we in the wrong if we go out hunting with our shotgun?

Leave the choke tube in if your gun has screw ins; problem solved at least til they sort the mess out. It sounds like they're back pedalling already.

Last edited:
I read the gazette pronouncement in full. I got my calipers out and checked my shotguns. They way I read it, 12 gauge and bigger is now illegal. A choke tube is an accessory. Yes, I saw what Blair said. Ok. Then either change the order immediately or we are all felons. I turkey hunt with a 20 gauge so that’s still legal up there I guess. Good luck come deer season. We reap what we sow at the ballot box.

I don't agree with the banning of the groups of firearms the government announced. However, the CSAAA is interpreting the wording of the announcement to get the firearms and hunting community all fire up about it. I don't believe there is any intention to prohibit the 10 or 12 gauge hunting style shotgun.
I agree that likely wasn’t their INTENT. But read the law. They DID ban them by definition. I’m not interested in my odds debating the semantics of screw in chokes with a court room full of Toronto liberal arts academic vegans sitting on the jury. Unless of course you may choose to trust Blair’s twitter acct over an enacted order now in effect. Define hunting style shotgun? Anyone with a Beretta A350 or 391, etc can hold more shells than is allowed in a semi currently. Only the removable mag plug makes it legal. Personally I think you all BETTER GET FIRED UP OVER IT, or go like sheep and pack it in for the greater good of society right?

are you saying you trust these assholes?

are you saying you trust these assholes?
God I sure as shit dont trust ANY politician. So you publish an order BANNING my guns then on Fkn TWITTER say thats not what we meant. Oh well FK me Martha. Were all good here. Get the jug of screech out fer the luvageesus.

Check this out from CSSA:

This morning, the RCMP confirmed the first 12-gauge shotgun prohibited under the new Order-in-Council.

The deadly evil weapon? An old Iver Johnson single-shot, fixed choke 12-gauge shotgun with a 2 3/4" chamber. That's right, a standard old farm gun.

RCMP Technical Unit Supervisor, Tim Hobbs, confirmed this firearm would be classified as prohibited in a phone call with a prominent firearms dealer.

See this firearm being measured - see for yourself:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks