Another excellent year.... almost ?

Old Cut LongPointer

We did good . Filled 4 out of 5 tags. A button buck on Day 1, a good size Doe on Day 2 and a 5 and 6 pointer on Day 3. I figure anything more then a 50 percent rate is a good hunt and we have been spoiled by filling our tags way too often. Unfortunately my best shooter hit his trigger finger with a knife while skinning a deer and my brother who is allergic to yellow jackets was stung but both are okay and will be back next year. All in all we got 200 pounds of meat which equates to 90 pounds of Roasts, 60 pounds of Grind and 50 pounds of Sausage. Took about 13 hours times 3 guys over 3 days to process but with excellent results ! We vacuum pack everything and everyone who hunted receives an equal share even those guys that couldn't hunt all day every day . As Captain of the Hunt I tell my guys every year that the purpose of the hunt is to have fun and not get hurt and if we are blessed with meat ... we are truely lucky !

I hope everyone's hunt went as well ?

We had 4 guys this year. I was able to take my son along for the first 2 days, and we managed to get a deer for each of the evening sits. A 1.5yr and 2.5yr buck. I ran him home Tuesday night and Wednesday morning I set up on a field edge and waited until sun-up for a stalk. I didn't get very far. I might have been 10 yards into the bush when a 1.5yr doe approached. I watched her for a good bit and decided to take her at 18 yds. She bolted and died 50yds away with a hole in the top of her heart. We usually try to save the tags of bowhunters for last, so my dad and a friend had tagged the first 2 deer. I tagged this one and continued my stalk after letting the guys know we are down to one tag. I stalked for the next hour and a half, and I probably only covered 250 or 300 yards at the pace I move. I saw several does and had some good shot opportunities but I let them go knowing we are down to the last tag.

At that point I could hear the blue jays kicking up a fuss back where I had dropped the doe. I was worried it was coyotes at the carcass, so I made my way back fairly quickly. I slowed down when I got close, back into my normal stalking mode. There weren't any coyotes to be found. As I get closer to the field edge, I see this nicer buck coming in on the trail that I had entered the bush on. He looks like a decent 8 so I decided why not. I let him get broadside, stopped him, and the muzzleloader barked again. Another heart shot. He ran 50 yards, and almost dropped on top of the doe. Less than 5 yards apart. Turned out he was wonky on one side and just had a fork making him a 6 pointer but a nice big bodied deer.

We don't normally tag out that early, but the guys didn't seem to mind. The last tag holder had a date with the combine later in the week so we were going to be done early regardless. One guy hadn't even seen a deer yet so he was ready to be done! The boys dubbed me "tag whore" years ago but this is the first time that I mopped up every tag!

Thankful for additional tags in 92 - I'm still at it with the bow.

LMAO ! Tag whore ! I have a guy in my gang that deserves that handle. We just post a picture of our "Top Gun" on the beer fridge every year. This year we only filled 4 out of 5 so we try to shoot his tag last as he lives in Burks Falls and can use it for the second week rifle up there. I've told him he may just get a sharp stick to use for the first couple of days so as to let the other guys have a chance.

@Old Cut LongPointer can you get the guys to start calling me "top gun" instead??

Any Trailer Park Boys fans out there? Ricky has a saying "Boys. Smokes. Let's go." to get cigarettes from Corey and Trevor. My catch phrase around camp is "Boys. Tags. Let's go."

55470252.jpg

Top Gun Fitz you, about as tall as Tom Cruise but no where near as handsome.
I still like Tag Whore.
So, if you're not busy I've a couple you can fill too....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks