An Open Letter to OFAH Members

Tundra Swan

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 30, 2020

Re: Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans

Dear OFAH Members:

I wrote to Mr. Tony Jackson (Nomination Committee) on October 28, 2020 in response to a request that was published on page 3 of the OFAH Zone J October Newsletter to serve as a member of our executive. This request specifically stated that "your contributions to making our Zone what it could and should be regarding increased opportunities and standing up for our collective interests will be appreciated". I advised Mr. Tony Jackson that I would appreciate the opportunity to serve on the OFAH Zone J Executive as "Director" which is also a full OFAH Board position with additional commitments. Although I have participated in deer and turkey hunting in the past my primary interest has always been associated with issues regarding waterfowl hunting.

I started waterfowl hunting at Long Point in 1978 after graduating from the Ontario Veterinary College in 1975. I joined the OFAH in 1979, Ducks Unlimited Canada in 1980 (became a sponsor in 1985), Delta Waterfowl in 2001 (became a sponsor in 2005) and The Trumpeter Swan Society in 2014. I founded The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation in 2010 and have recently funded several waterfowl projects.

I would like to represent the OFAH Zone J members in promoting increased hunting opportunities that could and should be available to all Ontario hunters. These new hunting opportunities would include a Sandhill Crane season, removal of the Mute Swan from the list of Protected Species and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. The Delta Waterfowl survey conducted in Ontario (which I provided funding for in 2018) indicated support for all three proposed initiatives. The science and long-term population goals for Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans justify such opportunities and Mute Swans are wreaking havoc on our native wetlands and outcompeting native waterfowl species for prime breeding habitat.

I look forward to being able to represent you regarding all waterfowl issues in Ontario and trust that I will be able to count on your support to do so ... thank you.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

August 25, 2021

Re: Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans

Dear OFAH Members:

Further to my "open letter" of October 30, 2020 regarding Sandhill Cranes and Tundra Swans this is to advise you of the letter that I wrote to Mr. Tony Jackson (Nomination Committee, OFAH - Zone J) on August 20, 2021 regarding waterfowling issues in our province.

I would like to encourage everyone attending the Annual General Meeting for Zone J this weekend to consider supporting a candidate who will support waterfowl hunting ... remembering that the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS A copy of my letter to follow this post.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

August 20, 2021

Re: Elections for Zone J

Dear Mr. Tony Jackson:

I am writing to you (as requested) to advise you that after giving further due consideration to the required obligations associated with the position of "Director" for the OFAH Zone J (as provided in your e-mail) I believe that I may not be able to fulfill all of those obligations.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend our Annual General Meeting on August 27, 2021 due to a previously scheduled commitment and due to my concerns regarding the Delta Variant of the SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19) I would not particularly want to attend any public gathering in the immediate future.

I am sure that you are aware of my long standing determination (since the fall of 2010) to obtain a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for the Province of Ontario as well as for the Province of Manitoba and the Province of Saskatchewan ... especially after having received support for such a season from Delta Waterfowl in the spring of 2018. Furthermore the level of support for such a season in the Province of Ontario is only slightly below the level of support for the removal of the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species and a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season as determined by the Ontario Waterfowl Survey which was conducted by Delta Waterfowl and financially sponsored by my Charitable Foundation in the fall of 2018.

The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation was founded through RBC Dominion Securities in Decembr of 2010 with an initial contribution of $25,000.00 and has been supplemented with an additional $25,000.00 contribution every year since that time. This investment capital will provide an additional $11,000.00 in available grant money at the end of this year (increasing by $1,000.00 every year). As of today a total of $48,000.00 in grants have been provided to Delta Waterfowl, the Manitoba Wildlife Federation and the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation for waterfowl related projects and advocacy work that includes a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for Canadian waterfowlers ... including those living in the Province of Ontario.

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters has also received a grant of $5,000.00 for advocacy work relating to their recently declared support for a limited (tag only) Sandhill Crane season (first priority) and the removal of the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species (second priority) with an additional grant of $5,000.00 to follow for their future advocacy work relating to a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I believe that I can therefore best serve the waterfowl interests of the OFAH Zone J members by serving on their "waterfowl committee" if that would be possible ... please advise me accordingly. Consequently I am respectfully withdrawing as a candidate for the position of "Director" in the OFAH Zone J.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

The date indicated for the Annual General Meeting in my letter should have been August 28 and not August 27 since I was not able to edit the mistake.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks