amateur launch

suckmywake

hello,
i was just wondering if any of you more expierenced guys could help me out here. im 17, and bought a 17' wilker. i have my liscence and a truck also. have all the gear ready for fishing the lakes..riggers, lead, dipsys, planners, everything i got it. my dad and i have been out a few times this year, and i still am not really good at launching the boat or bringing it in. so i was wondering if any of you knew where a local (woodstock). 1-2 hour drive away launching ramp where theres not alot of people going in and out so i can practice.
thanks so much

suck my wake

Big props for wanting to learn how to make life smooth at the ramp. Hopefully this concept will become popular and others will follow your lead!

If it is the backing up that slows you down you can practice that in an empty corner of a parking lot. Try to get used to using your mirrors as much as possible, I find it makes life easier.

Another thing you might want to do is install some guideposts on your trailer, I find they make things go smoothly.

Once you get the backing up down pat and your trailer rigged the way you want it launching is a breeze.

KUDOS to you!

Try to be lined up straight before you back up and use subtle turns of the wheel to make changes. The straighter you are to start the easier the job.

Do Not untie the nose of your boat before you enter the water. I watched a guy drop his off the trailer at Wildwood last weekend, quite amusing:D.

BD

Could also practice backing it into the driveway. I found the best lesson was getting the trailer off the road into the driveway, which obviously requires a 90 degree turn, the straighten out. This is much trickier than most launches.

Empty parking lot is a great idea as well. I did this years ago when I got my first utility trailer.

Good advice from Docs on practicing at Pittock. Go mid day to avoid the early and late rush and hit a weekday if you can.

I used to lay awake at night worrying about details for the boat and trailer - lots of time thinking about the launch. I finally made a little check list and stuck it under the visor - helped with sleeping. I am now more comfortable so don't have the list anymore. Include all of the steps on the list - in order. Ie. Put the plug in, unplug the lights, remove the tie down straps, etc, etc. Just have a couple looks at the list as you go. Probably not necessary but I made the the list with "launching" on the front and "coming out" on the back just to have the order set up right.

Having a list seems a bit old fashioned but it did the trick - solved the worrying the night before. Now I just can't sleep the night before because I am so excited to get out there.

JB

thank you for all the great help! im going to try them all, and keep trying them till i get it so i can keep on my grandpas legacy!. do you think 17ft wilker will be able to go in pittock waters? or atleast around the dock? i am on vacation right now, and i will let you know how i do when i get back and take it out next week!
thanks again!! doc, jeffbrick, big dave, andrewm and B-N!!!

The biggest mistake I see guys doing is when loading, make sure the trailer is not to deep in the water. I would say half the bunks in the water and half out. If you have trailer guides, make sure they are out of the water, that is what they are there for, to guide your boat on the trailer. If they are in the water they can't guide anything. Oh ya and practise, makes perfect, well for most boaters anyway.

Brian (Legend Man)

quote:
Originally posted by jumbos

The biggest mistake I see guys doing is when loading, make sure the trailer is not to deep in the water. I would say half the bunks in the water and half out. If you have trailer guides, make sure they are out of the water, that is what they are there for, to guide your boat on the trailer. If they are in the water they can't guide anything. Oh ya and practise, makes perfect, well for most boaters anyway.

Brian (Legend Man)

Good point. legend Man. Going to add. Back up your bunk trailer to wet the bunks before loading. Then pull up a bit. Wet carpet better when loading.

People may look at you. But you be in and out like butter.

Help the guys out at the launch if you can. Makes us better.

do you have any experience towing? if not, do everyone a favor and learn to back up in a parking lot. you'll be under pressure making it that much harder. be sure to put the odds in your favor and choose a launch that is not busy on a calm day. wind can make things interesting sometimes when you're on your own. it's so bad with my tinner sometimes that it's easier to take it out crooked and just lift the boat into the middle:D

watching others at the ramp for an hour or two is a great way of learning from other peoples mistakes. better to learn at their cost...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks