Aluminum boat

Jetdog

Need Help. Will fibre glass stick to outside bottom of aluminum boat. Trying seal the boat up bit.

Jetdog

I did this on the INSIDE of an older aluminum boat I had and it worked great. I had a 4" crack on the bottom that was leaking like a sieve. I sanded the aluminum to clear it of paint, put a fiber glass patch on it and it did the job. It help up for 3 years, then I sold the boat. The advice I got at the time was that this would work if it is in a spot that does not flex too much. Let me know how it works out for you if you try it.

if you have a clean surface spray on boxliner from crappy tire works $4 a can...Another thing that is good is (seal all). Its in an Aerosol as well....

Inside or Outside of boat?quote:
Originally posted by deaker

if you have a clean surface spray on boxliner from crappy tire works $4 a can...Another thing that is good is (seal all). Its in an Aerosol as well....

Jetdog

If it's rivets and seams that need sealing, "Gluvit" is a flexible epoxy sealer that you paint on the outside. It works FANTASTIC. Procter marine sells it. I refinished a leaky aluminum tinny with it last year, gave it a coat of marine paint and it looks like a new boat (and it doesn't leak).

Here's the link: http://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html

hey there I sealed my 14 ft I had. i got aproduct called gluvit from proctors marine. I buffed the bottom clean then you mix the 2 part and apply with brush. only cattch is it has to be painted over because it is not uv resistant. the stuff is like a epoxy I liked the way it turned out and didn't add a ton of weight to the boat either.

Structural urethane works very well. This is the stuff that they put windshields in with. I fixed two tinnies this way and it worked on one with a ½ wide gash and an aluminum patch over it. Stuck and remained flexible. No leaks. Make sure the hull is clean and warm and heat the tube of urethane.

ArgO NuT

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks