All of you smokers

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
My best friend and hunting buddy’s daughter sent us a very nice care pkg from Calgary at Christmas. The Smoked Black Peppercorns are something I have never thought of but WOW what a flavour. Anyone ever try smoking them?

No not yet @GPS , the youngest daughter's lesser half is exploring smoking salt but isn't happy with his results so far. 🌻

A buddy of mine at work just smoked some salt and peppercorns last weekend and said it turned out great ! He cold smoked them on foil for about 4 hours using a pellet maze with apple wood pellets. He said the trick was to shift the salt and peppercorns around a few times during the smoke. I might try it this weekend.

I may give it a whirl as well, I have lots of peppercorns and flaked sea salt.

I'll post results if I do. 🌻

Reactions: GPS
That’s a good idea. I’ve smoked hot peppers, they were Fresno chillies from the garden, but not peppercorns. Might have to try that next time!

Eight hours at 220* on Super Smoke using Apple pellets.

Not an efficient use of pellets LOL.

Salt obviously darker, light smoke smell, pepper a little harder to tell.

Taste test tomorrow.

fnshdprdct.jpg

My share, two full grinders, one of each, vacseal bags are for The Neighbour. Hell, he makes his own bacon and shares it with me. 🌻

shares.jpg

Last edited:
Verdict...........

Divided scrambled eggs into two sections and tried both individually on the sections.

Unsure of smoke flavour, so currently a FAIL in my mind. That could change with use.

Next batch will be a cold smoke over a minimum of 24 hrs using a smoke generator method. 🌻

Hope you aren't angry at me for starting this thread, you've invested a lot of time already.

Hope you aren't angry at me for starting this thread, you've invested a lot of time already.

Nope, not at all.

Always been curious, and one of the family is already playing with this so two may figure it out faster than one. 😁

My first does have smoke, but mild, not enough for my liking.

I noticed every time I stirred the salt I lost some through the sieve and knew the holes had to be smaller to keep the fines in place.

The pepper corns before smoking had a real nose bite, but after, none. The effects of +200* temps?

Next time 120 mesh screen, continuous 24hrs or more cold smoke, I expect a much smokier result with little to no salt loss.

Minor problem, the dough heads that built the smoker rack put the dividers in the opposite way they should have been.

doeheds.jpg

Minor fix, two properly located ignition holes coming up. 🤪😂 🌻

Update on this version of smoked salt and pepper.

Tonight's dinner was Skillet Chicken. Leg pieces, sliced mushrooms, potatoes and carrots in mushroom soup. (reduced)

The addition of the smoked salt and pepper was duly noted and appreciated. Yummeeeeeeeee! 🌻

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail

@hvyhaul , the strainer idea you used was next level ! 6 hrs cold smoke using apple pellets, with a few stirs along the way. Tried it out on eggs this morning - great flavour.

The first experiment is getting better with age.

The second go round is underway.

Cold smoking on the Treager with Hickory pellets.

smkprep.jpgsmktst.jpgsmknsltppr.jpg
cldsmkn.jpg

All your doing @GPS but it's ok, I don't ice fish. 🌻

Are you using cheesecloth there ? It’s f@&king magnificent!!!

Are you using cheesecloth there ? It’s f@&king magnificent!!!

This stuff, not losing any salt through it.

304 Stainless Steel Woven Wire 120 Mesh.30cmX100cm Stainless Steel Mesh Screen,Air Ventilation Protecting Mesh for Home Kitchen Filter Net Filter Cloth Filter Mesh Screen.​

Bought it on Amazon, cut to the size I wanted. 🌻

End product.

dafnsh.jpg

The source and finished product. You can smell it from across the room and it is one of the most intoxicating aromas . LOL

Jars on the left for The Neighbour, the right for me.

Eighteen hours or so, (I was asleep) cold smoked using Hickory pellets.

So looking forward to using it on food. 😁 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks