Air Fryer - Burnt Plastic Smell?

Last year I bought a Breville 3 in 1 Microwave - Convection Oven - Air Fryer. Been very happy with it granted I think you may get better results with a stand alone dedicated air fryer if that's your main goal? I still like my hot oil but I reheat deep fried food all the time with it and its about as good as fresh out of the grease.

Triple duty for 1/3 of the counter space works for me. The convection oven gets a good workout in the summer when we don't want to use the big oven and heat things up.

Did you start taking the plastic wrap off the food before using the air fryer @stomp , or have you bought a new one with more metal parts hoping for a different result? 🤔🤣 🌻

@stomp did you run it for half hour or so full out before using it? Mine did during that time burning it out. Then let it cool clean it out the. Ready for use

We're now on to our second air fryer and are, again, disappointed. The first fryer was a Gourmia (returned to Costco) and the second an Instant Pot. Both produce a burnt plastic smell in the kitchen air and in the cooked food. This smell hangs around long after the first few uses and despite @Mrs. Stomp 's best efforts to use vinegar, lemon juice, and a 10 step process to rid the units of the odour. Maybe this is like my sensitivity to the reel clicker sound, but if my food smells like burnt plastic, I am not eating it! Has anyone else had this issue? Is there an air fryer out there that doesn't produce food that smells like it came out of the Love Canal, NY?
Does she unwrap the frozen items prior to cooking? Not like the microwave. 🤔

@stomp IS it possible that the counter your cooking on cant take the heat?
Seams odd for two appliances from different manufacture result in same plastic smell.
Have a good feel of your counter top, or bottom of uppers if you use it under your cabinets,, even the back wall maybe?
COuld also be the outlet your plugging it into, in the kitchen if its a GFI they can start to fail and stink.

I also purchased heat resistant mats for underneath my air fryer

@stomp IS it possible that the counter your cooking on cant take the heat?
Seams odd for two appliances from different manufacture result in same plastic smell.
Have a good feel of your counter top, or bottom of uppers if you use it under your cabinets,, even the back wall maybe?
COuld also be the outlet your plugging it into, in the kitchen if its a GFI they can start to fail and stink.
Hey @fireram , thanks for the suggestions. It's a Corian Quartz countertop with tiled backsplash, so I think it can take the heat. I don't think it is an electrical issue. We're using an Instant Pot pressure cooker and toaster oven in the same receptacle with no issue. It may just be my hyper-sensitive sense of smell, or maybe it's the voices in my head telling me that I smell plastic burning. If anyone wants a deal on a new-in-the-box or slightly used Instant Pot Air Fryer, I can hook you up.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks