Advise on Toon's

can't miss

I've boated Erie for quite some time, 12 ft threw 26 ft, and back to a nice 17 ft tinny. My fishing style is a mile or 3 from Pt Bruce, perching.
Getting old but still fishing, Looking for advise on pontoon boats? Grandchild explosion here? There now old enough to come along, and that's great. Toons look great, room and sun protection?
What are they like in a 1 ft chop, 2 ft, never have been on one? Anymore than that, I'm heading back up creek, thanks for any input.

They are an amazing smooth ride. Take some time and learn everything you can about them and buy what's right for you and you won't regret it. Amazing family boat and pretty sick fishing platform even when trolling !!!
PM me if you have any more questions !!

Saw a nice double decker complete with waterslide @ the London boat show for only $90k

Pontoons are slow, but the Cadillac ride on the water. You should try to get out on one, I was surprised, smooth as silk.

I think there are some places to rent them on lake simcoe around cooks bay. If you wanted to try one out.

I like them but I'm unsure how they would be in Lake Erie on a windy day lol, if anyone wants to chime in I'm all ears as I've only been on relatively large inland lakes with one.

I have been from LP to Hoovers Marina at 40 mph, not necessarily slow. The boat was about 28 ft. Having three pontoons makes a difference.

Well to put that in perspective, how many ponies did it take to get to 40mph?

Friends of mine have Pontoon... you should get one with 3 pontoons. More stable, better ride. 1-2ft chop no issue for most part. Like all boating be within your limits...

I had 24 ft wa key west which was a great fishing and riding boat. Had 225 e-tec.
Went to pontoon for family and grand children.
At first had two boats the key west and two- pontoon pontoon boat.
Did not like the two pontoon,traded them both for a 24 ft tri-toon.
Tri- toon is far superior , worth every penny if you can afford it.
It is not slow! With 150 e-tec I can run with anyone up to 52mph.
Good ride and great space and usability.
A big chop might slow you down a bit but when it is that windy it is too hard to fish anyway.
One thing, you will need longer handled nets as you seem to stand higher above the water in the pontoon boat.

Toons are fantastic for fishing. Tons of room, super stable, and with enough horses very quick. I was out on a friends on Erie with 5 adults and 5 kids. We fished, tubed and swam around Potahawk for hours. The lake turned rough (2' chop) and we headed back in. Handled the waves very well.

I have a 25' legend tritoon. With a 150 Merc. I love it!! I have 4 kids too. Water ski, pull tubes no problem, 40-60 mph. I also like rough water. I fish the inner and outer bay. I head out regularly in water 3-4' chop. Even when the fibreglass boats the same size are sick and tired of bouncing around. Handles great. I feel very confident with it and so do my passengers. I debated quite a while over them and I sure am glad I bought it new 2 years ago. Please pm me with any questions.

have had 16ft. pontoon for 6 years fish burwell all the time. take north couple times a year.great with grand kids .if you have any more questions.let me know. live by delhi if you want to stop by.

My initial reaction was i wouldn't be caught dead in a pontoon boat.Fast forward a few seasons on the bay.On the "advice"of the beter half we bought a 24' Crestliner pontoon with a 115 Merc 4stroke.Not the fastest at 38mph on gps but wouldn't trade it especially on the days when the bay decides to blow up a bit we have no problems in a 2-3ft chop since the pontoons span the waves making a much smoother ride than my 19' V-hull.Some days as many as 10 on the boat headed for Potohawk and everyone has room to move around.Hope this helps with your decision.

The new pontoons are anything but slow with twin 300 hp outboards becoming more common place. Check out the pontoon in the video, 114 mph with 3 Mercury Pro Max 300x outboards. CRAZY!!! :cool:

upload_2017-3-12_15-16-17.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks