Advice - Electric Trolling Batteries

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I've got a 24 volt trolling motor but only use it occasionally. I therefore charge up the batteries about three times a season which I realize is not the recommended way. I've used Cdn Tire HD Deep Cycle batteries twice but they only lasted two seasons. I've used mid sized Deka twice now and they lasted three seasons. Is there anything better? At $300 a pop I figure they should do better. Typically I get excellent service out of my starting battery. That normally lasts 5 or 6 seasons.

Arnold - I've had good success with the Energizer deep cycle battery; think I got it from Walmart. I've drained this thing completely a number of times and it is still going strong - believe this is 4th season. I tend to charge it right away after using, and I bring it down to the basement in winter and give it a top-up a copule times. Fairly inexpensive; I think it was just over $100. Compared to $300, might be worth a try.

I think you supposed to let them drain right down before charging, charging when only partially drained can cause problems.

Energizers from walmart are the bast

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

hi its Mark need to go to a on board charger they maintain the batteries the best they charge up to full then turn off i have had batteries in my boat sometimes for five years before they go bad. Call me if you have any questions 905-510-6726

If you phone a boat dealer you will find there is a difference between the battery for starting and a battery for trolling. I do also know that you must keep your batteries charged to the fullest through winter. It is recommended to charge monthly through the winter. Cranking amps is not related to the type for trolling motors. I hope this is some help to you.
Later bud.

I think it may just be lack of use Arnie. I kick the crap out of mine all season long, run them dead, recharge after every day of use and I just replaced two Nautilis deep cycles after 5 years which were still working fine. I am thinking maybe you could hook up a battery maintainer and plug it in every couple of weeks just to keep them maintained. You would likely need to hook two up (one to each battery) since you have them hooked up in series for 24V operation. It may be just as easy and even better yet to install a 3 bank on-board charger and take care of everything at once (that's what I did since I use them all the time). Of course you're looking at $150 or so but if it saves the batteries and avoids you buying two maintainers, it may be worth it in the long run....

Thanks Guys....It appears I'll have to buy and install an onboard charging system. I'm not sure how much more I can put on a 19 foot boat. If Mark and Greg can get 5 years the $200 should be worth it. Any good ideas about selling the argument to my better half.

Duck soup, during the winter here in the B.C. Kooteney's, I took a job at a new CTC while waiting for the detailing season to ramp up. During my stay at CTC, I noticed an extraordinary number of Nautilus deep cycle batteries come back defective under warranty. They are series 24, 27 & 31, deep cycle wet, less then 2 years old ( # 010-2499, 2799 & 3199). The asumption would be that Nautilus had a bad run on these series. Perhaps your battery falls in this run. Since many lakes in the interior prohibit gas engines, the the locals have had great success with the Nautilus AGM series, group 31 & 34, however, rather costly @ $260 and $200 respectfully. For the most part, the die-hard locals have been using 6 volt deep cycles in series and are averaging 8 to 10 seasons out of them in conjunction with on board maintainers. I'd say that's a great return on your investment. Keep in mind, your maintainers are only as good as your batteries.

I hope you will find some of this information helpfull. Good luck with your battery selection.

cheers,
Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Duck Soup

Any good ideas about selling the argument to my better half.

I'd go with one of the following:

"Honey, think of how much more time I could spend with you if I spent less time messing around with batteries"

or

"It will cost less in the long run"

I use the Nautilus as a starting battery and have all the accessories on it including aerators, GPS, sonar etc and it's great. The deep cycle batteries lasted two seasons and the warranty expired after 18 months.....maybe the bad run.
quote:
Originally posted by cmac

Duck soup, during the winter here in the B.C. Kooteney's, I took a job at a new CTC while waiting for the detailing season to ramp up. During my stay at CTC, I noticed an extraordinary number of Nautilus deep cycle batteries come back defective under warranty. They are series 24, 27 & 31, deep cycle wet, less then 2 years old ( # 010-2499, 2799 & 3199). The asumption would be that Nautilus had a bad run on these series. Perhaps your battery falls in this run. Since many lakes in the interior prohibit gas engines, the the locals have had great success with the Nautilus AGM series, group 31 & 34, however, rather costly @ $260 and $200 respectfully. For the most part, the die-hard locals have been using 6 volt deep cycles in series and are averaging 8 to 10 seasons out of them in conjunction with on board maintainers. I'd say that's a great return on your investment. Keep in mind, your maintainers are only as good as your batteries.

I hope you will find some of this information helpfull. Good luck with your battery selection.

cheers,
Mike

Hey Arnie. Just my 2 cents here. Thorn is battery only powered and over the passed 12 years I've used and abused 5 group 24 Deka batteries from Proctors. Excellent warranty if they die after 2 years, third year is prorated. I've used the warranty on every 1 I've had. Not to say they are bad batteries it's just I take both batteries down to nothing on every trip right up to freeze up in the fall. They also get subjected to nearly laying on their sides when we pull her out after a 10 to 12 hour day of hard work so they do leak a little. I immediately charge them as soon as I get home and keep them off the concrete in the basement all winter with a maintainence charge every 2 months. Water levels should also be checked regularly before charging or you'll just cook the things.

They get used sporatically from May until September but still get the maintanence charge through the summer or full charge if they've been used. I've been using Interstate batteries the past 2 years and they seem to hold a charge a little longer but this will be the tell tale 3rd year for them. I know your boat doesn't get pounded like some guys put their boats through but I think the important part is to make sure they are very secure to make sure they don't get the crap pounded out of them, that maintainence or full charge gets done as soon as you get home or every month or so, and that the plates are covered with electrolyte at all times. If you are in the market for some battereies come see me at Napa in T'burg.

For trolling you ideally want deep cycle batteries. I've never seen these anywhere but a place that specializes in batteries. I can't remember where my Dad got the batteries he uses (Trojan 105) in his homemade EV, but I think it was one of the local London battery supply shops.

Most people will get the "deep cycle" or "marine" batteries sold at Canadian Tire, or Walmart, or Costco. These are not true deep cycle... they are a hybrid between starting batteries (designed for short high amp bursts) and deep cycle (designed for longer drains at lower amperages). They are also called "marine" batteries, since they are meant for starting your motor, as well as running your electronics when the motor is off.

Costco is a good place to buy these... IIRC their Kirkland Signature brand is a re-labeled Johnson Controls, which is a good quality brand. Batteries are not created equal, and crappy batteries will not last as long season to season, nor per charge. Also, Costco does not pro-rate their batteries... took one that wouldn't hold a charge back with only 2 months left on the warranty, and walked out with a brand new one.

Lead acid batteries are NOT the same as the NiCAD batteries that like to be fully discharged before charging. Avoid discharging your lead acid batteries below 40% when possible, and NEVER run them completely flat.

Ideally you want to charge your batteries slowly (low amps) at the end of each trip, and keep them fully charged. Once a year check the water levels and top up (carefully!) with distilled water when needed. Batteries should be stored above freezing.

For more info on deep cycle batteries see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_cycle_battery

To answer the original question, for a 24 volt system I'd go to Costco and get two of the 845 amp/hr marine deep cycle batteries they sell for about $100 or a little less.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks