A place to fish for perch.

Leaky

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
By the looks of this chart info. the western basin continues to be the best place for perch fishing.

Attachments

• PerchTrawlIndex_MapGraph.pdf
    295.7 KB · Views: 184
By the looks of this chart info. the western basin continues to be the best place for perch fishing.
That depends on how you define success. This chart only shows the American side of the lake. Over the past two seasons, Long Point Bay has produced well (according to reports here at least) in the fall and through the ice. Me personally, I've done ok sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce starting in mid April or early May through until about the second, or sometimes third week of July. But of course some of that success has been because I will sit there, and sit there, and sit there, and then sit there a little longer. Perch fishing when you don't have a boat is an exercise in patience to be sure. I can't count how many times I've been sitting there and watch people show up after me, many of whom I know, and then watch them leave after an hour because they haven't had a bite yet. "The fish aren't here today." Not necessarily true, they just weren't there when they wanted them to be, so they left, skunked, only to see me the next time to find out I went home with 30 or more (a limit once in 2020 first time since 2014 that had happened) because I sat there and waited. Doesn't always work out that way, but more often than not when I go fishing, I catch something and will often come home with at least 5-10 of the elusive mythical creature we call the yellow perch. (I don't keep white perch or silver bass. I either throw'em back or give'em to someone who wants them when I catch one.)

I started keeping track of how many fish I catch, (all species) and how many I keep of the desired species (for me that's primarily yellow perch and walleye,) in 2017. In total between 2017 and last year (haven't been out yet this year, still hibernating and will be for another couple months at least) I've caught 675 yellow perch (does not include those given to me, only those I caught myself) and put 514 (includes those I kept myself and those given to me by others) in the freezer. I haven't had any issues putting enough perch in the freezer to last the winter each season, and each season by the time I start thinking about coming out of hibernation in mid April or early May, it's all gone. Funny how that works out that way isn't it :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure I want to know what those numbers might be like if I had a boat. Seems I have had far more success off the pier for perch than those looking for them out in the boats have been having, but then again, that could be because there are people out in the boats having as much success perch fishing as I've had off the pier, but perch have been deemed elusive mythical creatures for a reason, so if they are, they're keeping it to themselves, especially when walleye have been so "easy" to find over the past few years.

That depends on how you define success. This chart only shows the American side of the lake. Over the past two seasons, Long Point Bay has produced well (according to reports here at least) in the fall and through the ice. Me personally, I've done ok sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce starting in mid April or early May through until about the second, or sometimes third week of July. But of course some of that success has been because I will sit there, and sit there, and sit there, and then sit there a little longer. Perch fishing when you don't have a boat is an exercise in patience to be sure. I can't count how many times I've been sitting there and watch people show up after me, many of whom I know, and then watch them leave after an hour because they haven't had a bite yet. "The fish aren't here today." Not necessarily true, they just weren't there when they wanted them to be, so they left, skunked, only to see me the next time to find out I went home with 30 or more (a limit once in 2020 first time since 2014 that had happened) because I sat there and waited. Doesn't always work out that way, but more often than not when I go fishing, I catch something and will often come home with at least 5-10 of the elusive mythical creature we call the yellow perch. (I don't keep white perch or silver bass. I either throw'em back or give'em to someone who wants them when I catch one.)

I started keeping track of how many fish I catch, (all species) and how many I keep of the desired species (for me that's primarily yellow perch and walleye,) in 2017. In total between 2017 and last year (haven't been out yet this year, still hibernating and will be for another couple months at least) I've caught 675 yellow perch (does not include those given to me, only those I caught myself) and put 514 (includes those I kept myself and those given to me by others) in the freezer. I haven't had any issues putting enough perch in the freezer to last the winter each season, and each season by the time I start thinking about coming out of hibernation in mid April or early May, it's all gone. Funny how that works out that way isn't it :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure I want to know what those numbers might be like if I had a boat. Seems I have had far more success off the pier for perch than those looking for them out in the boats have been having, but then again, that could be because there are people out in the boats having as much success perch fishing as I've had off the pier, but perch have been deemed elusive mythical creatures for a reason, so if they are, they're keeping it to themselves, especially when walleye have been so "easy" to find over the past few years.
Well said @Trevor M πŸ‘πŸ‘ and I am looking forward to be fishing off the port bruce pier again this year. Maybe I will meet up with you again like last year,and you will recognize me again by the red colour clothing that I like to wear. lol πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ Tight lines my friend & Perch ON!! in 2022!! πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

I thought that the chart info showed very poor hatches in the central basin and eastern basin. A reason to believe the open lake perch fishing in these areas is not going to improve anytime soon. It does show that good hatches have been steady and probably worth trucking the boat down to the west end. Starting to believe that saying fishing in the east produces the least and fishing the west is best.

Well said @Trevor M πŸ‘πŸ‘ and I am looking forward to be fishing off the port bruce pier again this year. Maybe I will meet up with you again like last year,and you will recognize me again by the red colour clothing that I like to wear. lol πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ Tight lines my friend & Perch ON!! in 2022!! πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚
Yep sooner or later the time comes when all the "ole' crusty seadogs" end up fishing perch off the pier. o_O πŸ‘πŸ‘ :D

Last edited:
Yep sooner nor later the time comes when all the "ole' crusty seadogs" end up fishing perch off the pier. o_O πŸ‘πŸ‘ :D
So, umm, Bob, which one of us are you calling "ole crusty seadog?" Red, or me, or BOTH.:ROFLMAO:
and yes Red, when you see me start posting about coming out of hibernation, wait for the soon to follow reports. That should give you a rough idea of when you should consider joining me where you might have a little better luck than you did last year when you joined me. However, DO NOT look for my truck this year. As of Monday this week, my wife has transferred from St. Thomas to London and since the office location of the company she works for is literally a 5 minute drive from home, I've been dropping her off in the morning, bringing the car home and have it to use if or when needed to run errands etc, and then I pick her up at the end of her shift. (which is a good thing since it gets me out of the house every day, but more importantly, as usual over the past couple winters, the cold weather killed my battery in the truck again and it won't start right now)

So, once she's "back up to speed" doing what she does here in London, we've already agreed that we don't/won't need two vehicles anymore and since we live so close to where she works, and because the truck is 20 years old and has been living on borrowed time for the past couple years anyways, and is now on it's last legs, (it needs a lot of work) we've decided we'll be getting rid of the truck and I'm expecting to do that before I come out of hibernation. I just can't justify spending the money it would take to keep it on the road (not that I have that kind of money right now anyways.) and on the days I go fishing during the spring, summer and early fall, she'll walk home.

Thanks Red Herring. I'm honored
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Thanks Red Herring. I'm honored
Tom Hanks Hello GIF
Your welcome @Bent Pole πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘Š. One of my favourite movies,Forrest Gump. πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹ But the next time the β€œthumb’s up” πŸ‘πŸ‘ and not the πŸ‘‹ πŸ‘‹ wave’s. Just kidding my friend!! πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Attachments

• 25E9FD4B-2C6C-4F85-85CD-7AE9C4742E62.jpeg
    25E9FD4B-2C6C-4F85-85CD-7AE9C4742E62.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks