A Must Read

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
GPS, Thank you for sharing. While I've always been we'll aware of exhaust at the rear of the boat I wouldn't have imagined it being much of a problem for rear seat passengers while underway. My 7yr old daughter and 9yr old son love to go fishing with me, so an eye opening article indeed.

I’m not sure this is real, I did some googling and cannot corroborate this story, in fact it seems this HC community journal is the only place that’s published it.
has anyone ever heard of this happening any time any where ever?

A Malibu Skier has an inboard motor with a thru hull exhaust, much different than an outboard or a stern drive. I understand the backdraft of exhaust idea but I don't think that would be the primary exposure. I suspect an exhaust leak in the engine compartment would be more likely cause. Either way it is a tragedy

If you have ever gone on a charter on a diesel powered boat, you know that fumes definitely can collect at the back of a boat in the right conditions. We took a 6 hour ocean charter a few years ago. The fumes didn't bother me too much as I have worked around heavy diesels for most of my career. But my wife felt I'll, got a headache and was tired after we got off the boat. We drove back to the hotel with the windows open and she felt better . So it's possible. They even have a section on it in the boater exam https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/education/carbonmonoxide-en.aspx

Propane is even deadlier. So the value in the message is real

I guess thats why my stand up top never got use on my other boat.
Had it up a few times, having a 2 stroke fumes collected under the top and gave me a headache.
Thanks for sharing, gives one something to think about.

Slightly off topic, but maybe save someone a hassell. Used to snow plow our property with quad and plow, worked fine but tractor now. Years ago bought a quad tent/cab sort of thing for winter, looked slick as shit, out of the weather and machine warmed the "cab".
Took forever to install, ran it maybe 10 minutes, and back in the box it went. This cab changed the air flow around the quad, exhausts swirled up the rear of bike and directly into small space between were the cab and bike meet. Real bad. If anyone ever considers one of these, think twice.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks