A hunters opinion please

Cdnfishr

Sorry for the off topic.........Looking to buy a 22 caliber rifle for small game hunting and just wanted to know what gun you hunters think would be the best? i would prefer a S/L/LR bolt action.

Thanks in advance to all responses.

A .223 is great choice coyotes but not for rabbits and squirrels as there wouldn't be enough left to even tell what you shot. My suggestion would be a .22 auto for the small stuff and the .223 for coyotes. If one rifle is your only option then you might want to consider a .22 magnum, although it's not optimal for either situation. A bolt action in my experience would be a poor choice for rabbits and squirrels because you will usually need more than 1 shot when these critters are on the move. A Remington model 597 .22 auto for price and function is hard to beat or at triple the price their pumps in a model 552 BDL Deluxe Speedmaster or model 572 Fieldmaster. Other manufacturers also make great rifles in what your looking for. I hope this helps in your selection.

thanks wallywalleye..........This is all new to me, and I appreciate you explaining the differences to me.

Ruger's 10.22 is a fine choice for a semi-automatic also. When looking at centrefire, don't forget Savage. They make a good quality rifle for the money

Remington 597 is a great semi auto .22 that won't break the bank, I have one and it works flawlessly.. And I will second the savage rifles, picked up an axis in .223 and it is a tack driver, for the price, it can't be beat

try a combination gun . you can get 22 on top and 20 gauge on bottom i think savage makes them

for what you're looking to do i'd say a pump action shotgun would do the trick. use small shot for the small game and switch to buckshot when going out for yotes. add a rifled barrel and you'll have a gun that can be used to hunt anything in ontario. i recommend a lightly used remington 870 that's a few years old as it'll be broke in already and the older the 870 the better the quality.

savage makes excellent rifles that often outperform other guns that cost twice as much or more and i'd take a look at these if you don't want to buy a shotgun. a couple years ago i picked up a brand new stevens 200 (savage) in 22-250 for $300 and it shoots 1" groups all day with cheap ammo.

how about a 17 hmr? it's capable of taking yotes if you keep shots around 100 yards or less and go with head shots using the hollow point rounds rather than ballistic tips. they won't ruin any meat on the small stuff if you make head shots, which you should when using a rifle on small game anyways. plus, my 17 hmr makes pretty little 3/4" groups at 100 yards :D

when using the 17 hmr on small game i often have trouble finding the entry hole while the opposite side of the rabbit or squirrels head is gone :D

ch312......... thanks for the response. Funny you mention the remington 870 because I have the 870 express. I also have a winchester 2200 and a stevens model 520 and a single shot 20 guage cooey. I'm just looking to add rifle to the mix for coyote hunting. After all the research I've done......I will be getting a .223 just not sure what make.
Thanks again.

you shoulda just said that from the beginning. i'm not sure why, but i think we all assumed you were new to guns :D

if you aren't a picky person i'd go with a stevens 200 in a heartbeat as you can buy new and still have a decent gun and scope for $600 or so. i'd even go as far as saying the $359 stevens 200's are typically more accurate than $700 remington 700's straight from the factory. there's a few used ones in .223 around as well. as with many of these guns, my 22-250 likes the cheap winchester white box ammo.

www.lebaron.ca sells the Savage Axis XP bolt action with a camo synthetic stock, comes with a 3x9x40mm matt blued scope factory installed and bore sighted in .223 Rem. It has a 4 shot magazine, 22 inch barrel and weighs 6 1/2 lbs. all for only $398.94 + HST. My friend hunts coyotes with the same rifle and punches them out to 400 yds., no problem. The .223 Rem. is very flat shooting, has very little recoil and is one of the most accurate calibers ever produced. It's well worth consideration at a price that's really hard to beat in my opinion.

Le Baron Code: 19167 in the Fall/Winter supplement cataloge

Thanks wallywalleye I will check that out. ch312.....I am new to guns and hunting. The guns I mentioned above my dad gave to me 2 weeks ago when I got my licence. I'm very green when it comes to guns. Ands thanks also for your response.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks