A GREAT ESCAPE

Braggin Rights

Hey guys!

It's been quite some time since I've had anything to post. Truth be told I haven't been fishing since late last summer. With the three kids playing hockey and work keeping me busy it just hasn't been in the cards.

I've recently picked up some new camera gear and wanted to put it to the test in a real-world shooting situation so I approached the good folks at the LPRCA to see if I could do a mini-doc on the spring set-up of one of my favourite places in the world - The Deer Creek Conservation Area. I think it turned out well and wanted to share it with my fishing friends. This isn't an ad or commercial that I'm trying to push. I did it as a personal project and am very thankful that my friends at the LPRCA were kind enough to donate their time and park.

If you've never been to Deer Creek you should definitely check it out. It doesn't matter how windy the big lake gets, you can always fish this little gem of a lake and it's saved my Saturday plans more than once.

Thanks and have a great Mothers day!

Ryan

When I can get intrigued watching a film about getting a conservation area ready for the season someone has done a stellar job. What boring subject matter. You killed it Ryan. I know that Corus, Shaw or the CBC didn't produce this though........ they couldn't have done it as well. What other things do you have for me to watch?

This isn't your first kick at the cat for sure. Was it you that has done an intro for some well known fishing show that I read about a few years back on 6-8 ? You made watching grass being cut interesting. That isn't easy for Scorsese. You hammered it Sir. Imagine what you could do with a good screenplay.

That was absolutely awesome great camera shots. The bass and flying over the trees. Is this something you do as your every day job ????? I don't know who you are but I really liked it. Let me know when you do more I would love to watch more of your work

Looking forward to the Fishathon again this year! I'll be flipping burgers again this year if you want me back.

Looking forward to the Fishathon again this year! I'll be flipping burgers again this year if you want me back.

As long as you don't say " 1 for you and 1 for me." I'm sure you have that job locked up by now Albert. Why don't you post the W5 for the event?

Professional work. Well done! Interested to know what cameras, drones, software, etc you use.

When I can get intrigued watching a film about getting a conservation area ready for the season someone has done a stellar job. What boring subject matter. You killed it Ryan. I know that Corus, Shaw or the CBC didn't produce this though........ they couldn't have done it as well. What other things do you have for me to watch?

This isn't your first kick at the cat for sure. Was it you that has done an intro for some well known fishing show that I read about a few years back on 6-8 ? You made watching grass being cut interesting. That isn't easy for Scorsese. You hammered it Sir. Imagine what you could do with a good screenplay.

Hey bud - thanks so much for the kind words. It truly means a lot. Honestly I can't take all the credit - I came up with this idea because I knew Deb and Doug would kill it on their end. The park means a lot to them and I knew they'd bring their A-game. My family loves spending time there as well and I'm familiar with the park, so it was an easy place for me to do some test-shooting really quick. I have shot and edited ( along with some friends ) Facts of Fishing THE SHOW since season 1. I've also done various promotional videos for companies within the fishing industry. I'm looking to do more corporate and commercial work outside of the fishing world though..... 30 second to 3-4 minute videos that are meant to be distributed online. Glad you enjoyed the vid! Hopefully I'll be able to find time to keep them coming.

Very nice, it takes an eye for good composition, that's a natural talent that's rarely taught. Well worth a watch.

Thanks Fishaholic... I think it's also just general knowledge of the ins and outs of the camera and lenses, combined with a ton of practice... I've screwed up a ton of shots in my day... including when I shot this video! haha Thanks again so much!

Great info. Can you give me the location please and what size boat can go on water? Thanks in advance

It's located just outside of Lanton, ON. Boat size doesn't REALLY matter, but it's an electric motor only lake. The Deer Creek patrol boat has a small gas motor on it for safety reasons. ( if you have to get out to someone quickly type thing ) but for the general public it's an electric only lake. It's also awesome for canoeing or fishing out of a kayak etc. If you need any other info drop me a line!

That was absolutely awesome great camera shots. The bass and flying over the trees. Is this something you do as your every day job ????? I don't know who you are but I really liked it. Let me know when you do more I would love to watch more of your work

Thanks Fishhead! I've been producing Dave Mercer's Facts of Fishing for 9 years - but I'm looking to start doing my own commercial and corporate video work in the very near future. I have some other "fun" videos that I've done with the kids and for my wife... but nothing really worth showing off outside of producing the fishing show at this point. I'll post a couple of links in the next reply.. I'm not very good at embedding videos and such. :eek:)

Absolutely Albert.. looking forward to it! Details to come very soon.

Professional work. Well done! Interested to know what cameras, drones, software, etc you use.

Hey there... it's a secret. :eek:) just kidding. Honestly I used a ton of stuff for this. I'm not one to try to hide anything from anyone when it comes to filmmaking. If you're interested I'm happy to share the little bit of knowledge I've gained over the years.

Cameras:
Sony A7s2 w/ Nikon Lens adaptor
DJI Phantom 3 Pro x2 ( have to have a backup ;) )
- We're fully certified and insured to fly pretty well anywhere, with the proper permits of course. There are a few companies out there who claim to be "certified", but if they don't actually apply for a permit, each and every time, they're not doing it legally. That's only if you're flying commercially. ( getting paid for it ) Flying for fun isn't regulated near as much (yet) .
GoPro Hero 4 Black & a custom built underwater housing

Lenses:
Sigma 18-24mm Art
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Tamron 70-200 f2.8

Other:
DJI Ronin M
Konova Slider w/ Manfrotto head
Manfrotto Tripod & 502 Head
Atomos Ninja Assassin HD monitor & 4K recorder

Adobe Creative Cloud & DaVinci Resolve

That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head.. A bunch of support gear as well.. like a few grand worth of batteries, and lights and so on.

Looks more like a professional piece then a side project. Very Impressive.

Thanks! I mean it was meant to look professional... (y) I picked up a few new pieces of gear and wanted to try it out, but I think it's always best to do it in a "real world" shooting situation. Also, it was just kind of a passion project I'd been thinking of. Hopefully my schedule lightens up a little and I'll be able to do more stuff like this.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks