A few newbie questions about late fall fishing

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Dear All,

I am a newbie (it is my first season on Great Lakes, but it's been so far a hell of a season), so I hope I can be forgiven for asking a few dumb questions.

Looking at this weekend's magnificent weather, especially on Lake Ontario, I wonder why it is that people slow down on fishing around this time? Also, what is generally happening with the fish as we go later in the fall, i.e. late Oct, Nov and early Dec? Does it get lazy or slow biting etc?

In another words, a hypothetical weather on any of the great lakes in the middle of Nov, with a temperature of, I don't know, +2, no rain, wind is let's say < 15 km/h and the waves are less than let's say 1 ft or less, is there a reason not to go trolling on either Lake E or Lake O?

Thank you very much!
Vlad

Hi Vlad,
Never trolled so late in the year on Ontario, but since you asked if the weather if fine Saturday I will get some fresh air on Ontario maybe. Nothing compare with the pleasure of trolling on a empty big lake like Ontario.
I suspect many people don't like the cold weather.
I find the fall/autumn fishing great in all possible aspects: trolling, jigging, big and small lakes, rivers, fly fishing, floating.
Ontario it is a blessed land for fishing. Lots of opportunities, yours to discover.
Tight lines.

Lots of Rainbows, Cohos and 1-3 year kings to be caught now in lake Ontario. 120-250 fow. If you mark large bait balls, circle them a few times.

Thank you for your responses. Appreciate it. Generally speaking, I don't care as much for the cold weather since 1) I got floater suit and 2) I don't go out when there is more than 10-15 km/h wind anyways (after checking with Windy with anticipated waves 1 ft or less) since I have an Xcalibur 18 and not some kick-ass boat (I think it won't be for long this way though lol :happy::happy::happy:).

@stomp Pike is definitely on the list, once the big lake is windy :) My senior fishing buddy also says we will start visiting Niagara river very soon and I am "supposed" to like it a lot lol !

@one.last.cast well that was one of the main reasons of my question, we did exactly what you had said, i.e. we had CRAZY fishing the other weekend early AM. Trouts are going nuts, a 15lbs trout almost opened my entire reel twice!

Thank you all again. Vlad

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks