Off Topic 9.9 hard to start

Ticker

Brought the boat home today to get it ready for the upcoming fishing season checked all electrical all good
Main motor started at 1st turn of the key
My 2017 9.9 mercury pro kicker did not want to start up , was winterized by dealer last fall . Its electric start remote control from helm
Primer bulb primed fine hard as a rock fuel coming out from conection when removed and checked fuel comes from main gas tank same as main motor
Took out plugs looked fine did clean it and reinstalled
A few more tryes later finally started up , shut it down and turned it on again a few times and started rigth away with turn of key
Question : anyone had this experience ? Is it because temperatures are colder is it because had not been used since last fall ?or something new that I could learn to do / starting process?
Thank you all in advance

from my own experience and in discussions with mechanics at Maple city the 9.9's tend to get an airlock which makes them hard to start if they sit too long. there is a float bowl on them with a release valve (screw) that if you back off and let some fuel run through they start fine.

My 2018 kicker is the same as yours. I find when it’s cold or hasn’t run in I a while is hard starting also. I think it’s probably “normal” for this motor.

The 9.9 Pro Kickers are known for being cold blooded. Initial start can be a bit of a gong show but usually ok after that. Sometimes the fogging oil fouls the plugs. Small jets for fuel efficiency. Follow the starting procedures and it usually works fine. Hopefully someday we'll see a Merc 9.9 EFI but until then I'll continue using it. They're a well built motor and good for many hours trolling and emergency trips back home. Trust me, 6MPH sure as hell beats paddling.

My 9.9 4 stroke Johnson is hard to start at the beginning of the season.
The electric start doesn't spin it fast enough.
A couple fast pulls on the cord fires it up.

The 9.9 Pro Kickers are known for being cold blooded. Initial start can be a bit of a gong show but usually ok after that. Sometimes the fogging oil fouls the plugs. Small jets for fuel efficiency. Follow the starting procedures and it usually works fine. Hopefully someday we'll see a Merc 9.9 EFI but until then I'll continue using it. They're a well built motor and good for many hours trolling and emergency trips back home. Trust me, 6MPH sure as hell beats paddling.

Merc is now making a 9.9 EFI. I have been seriously considering selling my carbureted 9.9 and upgrading to a EFI version. I’ve had a few issues with mine and as you stated they are cold blooded for sure. Tough to justify $4k for a kicker upgrade though.

Good news, it was only a matter of time. Was resisting the temptation of the 15hp last year trying to wait out the 9.9. Maybe its time, but pretty hard when you have a reliable motor already once you figure out the quirks. My next one will surely be an EFI once it proves itself, as i usually shy away from buying the first year models of anything.

I have a 2012 merc 9.9 and had the same problem. In the centre of your shifter there is a button with a merc logo push that in and move the shifter forward. That will give it a little more choke. Mine starts right up now

Not to hijack this thread but I am interested in some opinions on what a used 2011/12 Mercury 9.9 Long Shaft, Electric Start, Power Trim/Tilt, Remote outboard is worth?

Well short answer is buy a Honda ..ahhaha. Long answer sounds like fuel issue. Consider using high end fuel... carb clean ? Lines and filter clean?

Pretty sure the carb was clean as it did it since brand new and hasn't changed. Merc mechanic says tiny jet that allows it to run so slowly/efficient at low speed is the cause. I believe that theory and once you get use to the cold start it's a non issue. Funny part is the noise of it as its far louder under load than my 150 at idle. I've actually left my big motor idling for 1.5hrs before I noticed, as I usually leave it in gear at idle to maintain direction/control while setting up the kicker and lines. So much for the savings on gas that day, lol. Pretty sure I'm not the only one to do that either. Duh, too excited to get the first Wally in the boat.

Last edited:
I good practice to get into is- After your done fishing- Give your kickers a GOOD RUN- Full throttle- to clean-out the carbs and to de-carbonize your plugs. Works for me-and cant heart it either! Do this for about 5-mins. Good luck to all!

I good practice to get into is- After your done fishing- Give your kickers a GOOD RUN- Full throttle- to clean-out the carbs and to de-carbonize your plugs. Works for me-and cant heart it either! Do this for about 5-mins. Good luck to all!

That and never 'store' gas in the carb. I shut off the fuel/disconnect the fuel lines and run my 2-stroke outboards until they are empty before pulling boat from water.

I can knock off a couple of tenths off my lowest trolling speed by trimming main down and putting it in reverse not running. Yep my carb 9.9 starts hard the first time but then its fine. Spoiled by fuel injection I think.

Hey noclass, where did you find the info on Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker in EFI? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

I may need to apologize. . I may have miss quoted the salesman from the boat show. I priced a new pro kicker. Must have been the 15hp not the 9.9 that I assumed.

No apology required. My hopes were up for a minute and I was wondering how it got past me. Thanks for the update. Stay safe out there guys!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks