.50 cal muzzleloader deer hunting ammunition

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Curious what everyone is using.
I’m using 240gr hornady XTP with 100gr of powder
I tried the Hornady SST 250gr but I didn’t really like them.

Curious what everyone is using.
I’m using 240gr hornady XTP with 100gr of powder
I tried the Hornady SST 250gr but I didn’t really like them.
I shoot same load only using white hot pellets through my CVA. Hasn't let me down.

I shoot the exact same loads, could not get the 250gr's to a tight group at 60yrd's. The 240gr's on the other hand group nicely at that distance.
I hunt in the center of a hardwood bush so none of my shooting is out any further than 60yrd's. Good luck tomorrow.

250 gr Thompson centre shockwaves pushed by 110gr of blackhorn 209.

Whole group I hunt with either shoots 250 or 300gr shockwaves.. I bought a wall full of them at a store that was going out of business in Alberta. 4500 bullets for $400. Were all set for life and then ssome!

150gr Pyrodex pellets, 300 gr 45cal Hornady XTP with black magnum sabot. Rifle is a Knight Disc with a 22" barrel. It dosnt seem to like the lighter bullets..Ive tried 240gr XTPs with mediocre results...but it loves the 300 gr ones. The shorter barrel is great out of treestands yet accurate at long ranges...Ive taken deer out to 185 yards.

150gr Pyrodex pellets, 300 gr 45cal Hornady XTP with black magnum sabot. Rifle is a Knight Disc with a 22" barrel. It dosnt seem to like the lighter bullets..Ive tried 240gr XTPs with mediocre results...but it loves the 300 gr ones. The shorter barrel is great out of treestands yet accurate at long ranges...Ive taken deer out to 185 yards.
I haven’t seen those ones on the shelf
Maybe I over looked them. Where did you buy them?

ya most of us have worked hard to find the right recipe for our muzzleloaders..nice to hear everybody has there accurate and confident load ready to smoke..a deer

I remember one frustrating time with sabots..ya heavy built up melted plastic in the barrel...ya it went tight..until I brushed the barrel for hours with a solvent..ya the different 50 cal sabots I went thru shooting a 150 grain charge ..garbage..ya the crushed rib sabot I found years back worked perfectly and still does today..

the full diameter powerbelts we tested and hunted with for just a short time...garbage high flyer accuracy..I am suprised there still marketed..

consistant loading with the proper loading tool on the end of your ramroad...
ya @Derkd9 I have a part box of 50 hornady XTP 300 grain I don't shoot if you want to try um...there the same hollow point 4 pedal expander.....I killed my biggest buck with that one

unfortunatley I am sitting this one out :cry:..I am almost 6 weeks post surgery TKR and its coming along pretty good..

Last edited:
Thanks @mick
Yah good idea to make sure you’re completely recovered before getting back out there
The first year I wanted to hunt the fall after I got my PAL and hunting license I had to have surgery right at the end of September I had to sit my first season out! but it was the right thing to do for myself.

Thanks @Derkd9 for the reply..
ya the nasty invasive Total Knee Replacement Surgery takes sufficient down time to fully heal & devoted and intense Physiotheraphy..ya its been 39 days post op. today... the swelling has reduced substantially, I have full range of motion, and I am limited walking and driving..looking forward to booking my flight and heading south..asap
if i was huntin tomorrow am I be huntin the flats first light .. then sit half way up on A deep ravine deer travel route..one of my favourties..both are out of the forecasted NW brisk winds..that being said I remember playing the NW cold front brisk wind where I made a long stalk on a possibly suspected deer spot...it ended up on a group of yancy standing mature does within 50 to 60 feet in heavy cover..ya it was a big boom and I killed one...and the others flew out of there like rudolf..
I guess I should cook up a big venison dinner this week..
your more then welcome to those XTP 300 grain hornadys..they have been very popular

Thanks @Derkd9 for the reply..
ya the nasty invasive Total Knee Replacement Surgery takes sufficient down time to fully heal & devoted and intense Physiotheraphy..ya its been 39 days post op. today... the swelling has reduced substantially, I have full range of motion, and I am limited walking and driving..looking forward to booking my flight and heading south..asap
if i was huntin tomorrow am I be huntin the flats first light .. then sit half way up on A deep ravine deer travel route..one of my favourties..both are out of the forecasted NW brisk winds..that being said I remember playing the NW cold front brisk wind where I made a long stalk on a possibly suspected deer spot...it ended up on a group of yancy standing mature does within 50 to 60 feet in heavy cover..ya it was a big boom and I killed one...and the others flew out of there like rudolf..
I guess I should cook up a big venison dinner this week..
your more then welcome to those XTP 300 grain hornadys..they have been very popular
I’d love to try them out, right now my gun is sited in with the 240s
I hunt with a group of 7 people we will be spread out all over the farm, later in the week if there still a tag or two left will open up some stocking opportunities still hunts on the hills to the ravine and all that fun stuff.
I’m wondering if this snow we are forecasted is going to stick tonight into the morning love seeing the deer highways in the snow.
can’t believe the end of the week going to be back up in the double digits

ya Derkd 240 grain is plenty for deer..a 300 grain trajectory would likey drop slightly..
Ya I would continue to say a higher percentage of hunters shoot 100 grains 2 pellets...some MLs thats the maximum charge..

I use to hunt in a big group and we had alot of property and it was alot of fun but alot more work...I later established 2 good propertys with permission for myself.. I really enjoyed the slower pace.. content with selective harvest and gettin done early first or second day..last year it was first hour..

Yah mick I hear yah!
I like the group setting, but I would also like what you are describing
Loan hunter on big land a lot More flexibility wheee to hunt where not to hunt and a lot less human scent!
yah I use tho 240gr bullets with 100gr FFG powder
Some other guys I know only use 80gr powder, but I tried it and like the 100 better for my rifle Thompson Center impact
Pretty sure it says no more then 150gr powder in the rifle

very good Derkd
I can say I continue to trust Thompson Centre muzzleloaders for quality manufacturing and no defects or problems I encountered with 3 MLs I bought along the way. That is extremely important to me..I bought my first T/C new in 1988 and shot my first deer with it a fork horn buck..
And still today Smith & Wesson owns T/C..a pretty solid company..

Last edited:
I haven’t seen those ones on the shelf
Maybe I over looked them. Where did you buy them?
I bought a few boxes years ago but they are popular. Try Gobles. They are a VERY effective round and super accurate in my gun. A lot of guys use the 240gr loads as theyre the most common and a lot of guns like them. Mine just likes 300s.

Hey! I am shooting 260 grain Dead Centers with 80 weighed grains of Blackhorn 209 with great success. I am shooting them out of the T/C pro hunter.

After seeing the results from a couple new guys in camp this past week.. Powerbelt bullets should be made illegal!! They literally blow apart on impact,, you better hit them in the ribs and not the shoulder, or you will be tracking long long distances,, and very possibly not recovering!

Chipper everyone is entitled to their opinion. I shot two adult deer within minutes of each other in the first
hunt using the 270 gr platinum series, with 90 grains of Triple 7 pellets. One went 30 feet and the other went 30 yards.

Some hunters like the power belts..

I and a couple hunters in my circle field tested the full bore power belts and went forward and hunted with them..We concluded with our findings that the accuracy is not consisitant shot after shot...and further more 2 of us experienced the occassional high flyer..I remember specifically I took 2 different shots way off target..and one missing a nice buck..thats not my opinion.. thats my experience..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks