2023-24 Tundra Swan Stamp

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I just received my winter 2022 issue of the Delta Waterfowl magazine and noticed on page 14 that a Tundra Swan painting by Joseph Hautman has been selected to grace the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp in the United States for the 2023-2024 hunting season.

I will have to add a print and two (2) of these stamps to my ever expanding swan collection ... bought a print and two (2) previous Trumpeter Swan stamps a few years ago.

Jerome

Maybe they ran out of "nice looking ducks" ? Had to move on to geese and swans ? After all a Migratory Game Bird Permit/ Stamp should be all inclusive... right ? Surprisingly that means all waterfowl, common snipe, woodcock and mourning doves.

Hello Greener,

I am not sure if it was your deliberate intention to do so but your attitude towards a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season was clearly revealed in your recent post.

You should know that that you are apparently now in the minority of waterfowlers who do not support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in this province.

I would encourage you to read my entire presentation "Ontario Tundra Swan Season" that includes a cover letter, eight parts, four addendums and a side bar.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS The term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Not sure what my thoughts on thinking swans are stupid and ugly have to do with thinking a duck on the stamp be a nicer print?
Its a swan, nothing special about them, kill them all make the limit 10 a day doesn't bother me one bit. Rather shoot birds which taste good.
Thanks for the biology lesson on what a migratory bird is though.

Since 1984 I've purchased all the Stamps/Permits and look forward to adding more to my collection . :) I wonder if you can buy stamps from years gone by ?

Hello OCLP,

The stamps started in 1985 with a pair of Mallards on ice by Robert Bateman and yes you can still buy past stamps ... at a price!

I have also collected all of the stamps since the start ... my permit stamp as well as the collector's presentation stamp.

Jerome

Hello Greener,

If you check the internet there is a recipe on how to cook a Tundra Swan by an indigenous hunter in Nunavut as they are apparently very tasty.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks