2021 Annual Father Daughter Bear Hunt

Reel Therapy

My daughter and I headed north for our annual bear hunt, we have seen several pictures over the last few weeks but certainly less over the last week. Filled with optimism we headed out opening morning in hopes of having one come in. Nothing on the first morning so we decided that that evening we would split up I got Maddy situated in her stand and I headed to mine. At about 6:30 she texted me that a bear had arrived but she felt it was to small and let it go. (She is 16 and the first time she has sat alone for bears) This was a pretty grown up decision in my mind. Next morning we didn't see anything, second night she sees a moose and then just before dark a sow and cub walked by. She was pretty excited with everything she had seen and dear old dad has yet to see anything.... Fri morning we again did not see anything but we did have a good feeling about Fri night.... proves we were right. She had sent me a text at 6:45 letting me know nothing was moving as of yet and 10 mins later I heard her gun go off. I called my dad and brother and his friend to meet her at her stand while I got out of mine. Rule is she can not get out of stand until someone else was there. I got there and they had started to look for the bear, lots of blood and we were able to locate the bear about 80 yards from where she shot it. WOW! what a bear! Luckily where it ended up was a downhill drag to the trail but still a chore with deadfall to go over. Glad we had a few people.

Here are some pics below, couldn't be more proud of her, her patients paid off and ended up with a dandy!

The one pic is of the bear just before she shot it from the trail cam.WGI_0001.JPGIMG_3228.jpgIMG_7061.jpgIMG_7065.1.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!
Something I’ve been wanting to experience 😊
I bet that’s quite the rush

Well done Davin & Maddy..great eating size...and rug size too

ya out of all the big game hunting i have done..hunting, seeing shooting black bear is usually the best rush..

don't kid yourself bears especially the big ones are smart..they are a challenge to hunt..I enjoyed the spring bear hunts and the brook trout fishin started in Quebec & then when Ontario opened up the spring bear hunt, I started second season where I moose hunted up in 19

beautiful country and made even more friends with everything I need..my cabin was just over 14 hours and I hunt & fish 15 days to the end of May..ya the lady that owns the cabin had to covid cancel my 2020 & 2021 spring trips..

My daughter and I headed north for our annual bear hunt, we have seen several pictures over the last few weeks but certainly less over the last week. Filled with optimism we headed out opening morning in hopes of having one come in. Nothing on the first morning so we decided that that evening we would split up I got Maddy situated in her stand and I headed to mine. At about 6:30 she texted me that a bear had arrived but she felt it was to small and let it go. (She is 16 and the first time she has sat alone for bears) This was a pretty grown up decision in my mind. Next morning we didn't see anything, second night she sees a moose and then just before dark a sow and cub walked by. She was pretty excited with everything she had seen and dear old dad has yet to see anything.... Fri morning we again did not see anything but we did have a good feeling about Fri night.... proves we were right. She had sent me a text at 6:45 letting me know nothing was moving as of yet and 10 mins later I heard her gun go off. I called my dad and brother and his friend to meet her at her stand while I got out of mine. Rule is she can not get out of stand until someone else was there. I got there and they had started to look for the bear, lots of blood and we were able to locate the bear about 80 yards from where she shot it. WOW! what a bear! Luckily where it ended up was a downhill drag to the trail but still a chore with deadfall to go over. Glad we had a few people.

Here are some pics below, couldn't be more proud of her, her patients paid off and ended up with a dandy!

The one pic is of the bear just before she shot it from the trail cam.View attachment 49385View attachment 49386View attachment 49387View attachment 49388
Can only imagine the pride you must have felt. Enjoy every minute I to am fortunate enough to have my oldest granddaughter hunt with me. Makes it much more special

Maddy is one special hunter, and thanks to Davin..I don't see the next generation chasing black bear coming from southern S.western Ontario... its the American hunters that fill hunt camps for hunting black bear both in Ontario and Quebec as well..
I will say the locals in Northern Ontario are hunters and its bred into them to hunt & fish whats thriving on our crown lands..
Once things get back to normal post Covid..the American outdoorsman and the U.S dollar will come back to the outfitters..
I have made plenty of friends along the way at hunt & fish camps most coming from the U.S..
My one buddy is a waterfowl outfitter on Wapole Island for years, yes he is native, and his business thrives with mostly all his hunters coming from the U.S...Some of my best hunts and experiences have been with Native outfitters and guides..there good friends to have..

Last edited:
Maddy is one special hunter, and thanks to Davin..I don't see the next generation chasing black bear coming from southern S.western Ontario... its the American hunters that fill hunt camps for hunting black bear both in Ontario and Quebec as well..
I will say the locals in Northern Ontario are hunters and its bred into them to hunt & fish whats thriving on our crown lands..
Once things get back to normal post Covid..the American outdoorsman and the U.S dollar will come back to the outfitters..
I have made plenty of friends along the way at hunt & fish camps most coming from the U.S..
My one buddy is a waterfowl outfitter on Wapole Island for years, yes he is native, and his business thrives with mostly all his hunters coming from the U.S...Some of my best hunts and experiences have been with Native outfitters and guides..there good friends to have..
Thanks for kind words @mick I love spending time with Maddy in the bush, marsh or field. Making memories for both of us, to many kids these days don't get the chance to experience the great outdoors. @tailfeathers and his group put on an amazing day pheasant hunting for the kids, not only the hunt but the teaching and safety that all goes into it. Maddy still talks about how much fun she had that day.

Hunting was family tradition, my father and 3 of my uncles were hunters. they got me started into hunting small game as there were no deer or turkey hunting oppurtunitys like there is today.

One of my best friends son, I have fished and hunted with many times, has a special daughter that was brought up to hunt and loves it. What an amazing success story as well, She hunts waterfowl and deer every season, besides married with 2 children and a nursing career.
Sounds like @tailfeathers enjoys being a Mentor for getting the youth involved with shooting sports and some moving up into hunting, thats what these kids need is the oppurtunity and shown how.

Very good Davin, Iam sure you are proud of Maddy's incredible success's and spending quality time together in the field and on the waters..

That is such a good story, congrats to you and Maddy. Thanks for posting. I have an 8 year old G daughter that I hope I can share some memories with as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks