15th. Cooks bay from gilford beach.

SIX-GRAND

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
The Ice was nice and thick,at least 6inch. Started making holes by 8am. Fished till 1pm. Started at 8fow..12 ,18,20,deep as 27fow. 100s of little perch to keep you busy but nothing choice by my standards. Best action was 12-18ft. Went fir drive around the lake( clockwise from gilford to Keswick) once I pulled the pin. Best stories came from port bolster/virgina beach but still nothing spectacular. I have pulled better perch from the ice out of hagersville quarrys then I did from yee ol simcoe today LOL! Had the medicine for them but no biggins to lay it on. A good stretch of the legs at least. Wet the lines! Best of luck to all's who give it a go.

The Ice was nice and thick,at least 6inch. Started making holes by 8am. Fished till 1pm. Started at 8fow..12 ,18,20,deep as 27fow. 100s of little perch to keep you busy but nothing choice by my standards. Best action was 12-18ft. Went fir drive around the lake( clockwise from gilford to Keswick) once I pulled the pin. Best stories came from port bolster/virgina beach but still nothing spectacular. I have pulled better perch from the ice out of hagersville quarrys then I did from yee ol simcoe today LOL! Had the medicine for them but no biggins to lay it on. A good stretch of the legs at least. Wet the lines! Best of luck to all's who give it a go.
Thanks for your report @SIX-GRAND on your day of ice fishing on Lake Simcoe.(y) I was curious how the anglers made out fishing that day there. @Reddog text me last weekend asking me if I would be interested in joining him for a day of ice fishing on lake simcoe as well on january 15/19,but due to the passing of one of my brothers-in-law,there was a funeral on the 15th,therefore I cancelled the trip with him.I haven’t talked to @Reddog since to see if he still went out to lake simcoe on the 15th,and if he did,how he made out fishing.Weather wise,it looked like a beautiful day to be ice fishing on the 15th,and as you mentioned,a good stretch of the legs for you,and tight lines!! (y):cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, not worth the horrifying drive through Toronto to get out fishing for bait stealers (dinks) and getting a ticket for parking. Come on Long Pt. Bay, freeze up so I can get out and fish for good Perch, Walleye, Pike, Rainbows,(y):D and not fight that trafic.:banghead:
One of the many reasons @Fish Farmer why I don’t like driving through Toronto,(I don’t even like their NHL team!! -lol) go habs go!! Too much traffic there to lake simcoe and back for driving,but if anyone else drives,I would be happy to pay all of their gas money,but not the parking ticket there!! (n):sneaky: I like to stay local,(unless I stay for a few days,to make the drive up north). The long point bay area long range weather forecast looks quite nasty and cold,especially over this coming weekend!! :love:(y)(y) Also,the old cut web cam,thanks to George (y);):cool: at @oldcutmarina ,for giving as an excellent partial view off the old cut,and giving us hope,that the ice fishing season could be coming soon.Maybe there could be some “safe ice” by next week!! Fingers & toes crossed!! Tight lines & fish on!! (y):cool:

One of the many reasons @Fish Farmer why I don’t like driving through Toronto,(I don’t even like their NHL team!! -lol) go habs go!! Too much traffic there to lake simcoe and back for driving,but if anyone else drives,I would be happy to pay all of their gas money,but not the parking ticket there!! (n):sneaky: I like to stay local,(unless I stay for a few days,to make the drive up north). The long point bay area long range weather forecast looks quite nasty and cold,especially over this coming weekend!! :love:(y)(y) Also,the old cut web cam,thanks to George (y);):cool: at @oldcutmarina ,for giving as an excellent partial view off the old cut,and giving us hope,that the ice fishing season could be coming soon.Maybe there could be some “safe ice” by next week!! Fingers & toes crossed!! Tight lines & fish on!! (y):cool:
That's what I told my wing man. Ill pay for everything if you want to go but you have to wheel. So more often then not we are on the move some where's to wet the lines. Parking is real issue down there for sure. There is an old fella at the end of gilford rd that will let you park on his yard for 10beans. He is maybe two house away from the landing where you walk out from,if you see an old guy standing at the rd that looks lost that's him lol. He won't offer but if you ask him he is definitely in biz. I couldn't believe the amount of fishers out there for a Tuesday. Had to be hundreds on cooks bay alone.

Looking forward to it after this weekends cold front, @red Herring ?⛄️ Fish on! ?

Yes let’s hope so @Jumbojim (y) Perhaps we can meet up on the bay ice fishing through this years ice fishing season as we discussed at the Long Point Bay Pike Classic last fall,and thanks so much again for the “free” spud bar,(photo) that you made for me,and safety always first on the ice!! Will keep in touch & tight linesE47C095A-E2CC-400A-B5EA-B0797D6995B9.jpeg & Perch ON!! :p;)(y):cool:

Simcoe reports from today are saying the wind has opened up some ice and there is open water in areas and a rescue was happening. Be safe if you don’t know the area !!

I saw a local report today, yes you are correct north west winds open up a section blowing some out to open water middle of lake not good.
I will wait to test the ice mid next week here on the inner bay of long point.
Thanks for sharing your photo’s,and a good idea @Jumbojim about testing the ice in the middle of next week,of the inner bay of long point.(y) I have a lot of patience and fishing has taught me that!! I can definitely wait till the ice is safe.Once I see some hut’s out there on the inner bay and atv’s and snowmobile’s,I then start to feel a little more confident to venture out on the ice with my spud bar,(thanks to you again for making it for me),searching my path for solid ice ahead of me.(y):cool:

Last edited:
So SIX-GRAND were they fishing around snake island did you notice thanks
There was just 1 shooter between the main land and the island when I went over there. Mike at snake island tells me his rentel huts are going out on Friday. Said no body been sledding or wheeling out as of Monday, just walkers. The ice along the south shore from snake to port bolster is rough with push ice that has now froze up. Far more rough down bolster compared to snake area. Jackson point area was probably the worst. I'm going to try west of snake tomorrow.

Thanks for the Simcoe report I'm heading there February 1st for the weekend with 6 other guys. Going too cooks bay. Any white fish there? Newbe to Simcoe but been ice fishing for years usually nipping and temagami

Thanks for the Simcoe report I'm heading there February 1st for the weekend with 6 other guys. Going too cooks bay. Any white fish there? Newbe to Simcoe but been ice fishing for years usually nipping and temagami
Yes there white fish in there. I don't fish for them so I can tell you to much about them. All I know is they usually fish deep for them and where it gets deep in cooks is between gilford beach and Ferguson point.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks