Off Topic 12-ft rod for downrigger

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,

I don't mean to start a passionate discussion about who likes certain rods and who does not :) ; just a newbie asking questions.

So, Cabelas are starting their pre-order of a few of their Depthmaster trolling rods. I am not a user of these rods, nor I am a fan nor an "anti-fan". I am sure just like any rod, there are its pros and cons. Specifically, what got me a little curious is that they have a 12-ft downrigging rod, model DM-DR-12M, $25 bucks. See the link below.

My questions are: anyone here is using these? What is so special in this 12-ft downrigging rod, i.e. why 12-ft? What would one use it for? If it has line rating of 8-20 lbs, does it mean that this rod will wobble a lot and feel like a light power rod? What could be its best use? I can see this being a reasonable bottom downrigger rod with let's say worm rig rod or perhaps a planer board rod (small walleye planers for lake Erie for example) with larger spread but... Just being curious.

Thank you for your time and attention!
Cheers
Vlad

I would use them for dipsy divers. The long rod would help keep the line away from the side. 12 ft. Maybe too long to store in the boat.

Long indeed, 2-piece rod at 6ft a piece... I thought they name their dipsy-specific rods accordingly, i.e. DM-DD-90M, to indicate that they have stronger backbone. The 12-ft rod for dipsy? Hmmm... I have been using dipsy diver rods, though it was my 1st season only this year, 10.6ft Daiwa heavy for lake O and 9ft Talora medium for Erie, and they both feel very beefy, and bend almost down to the water level. Will these 12ft have enough backbone for the dipsy or any downrigging rod will be able to pull a dipsy?

I have 2 of them that I use for dispys, they work great. Nice to get the dipsys out that little extra distance so that they don't get tangled with the riggers. The line rating on the website is wrong, they are 10-25lb I think. Easily stiff enough for big dispys and big salmon but not so stiff that they take the fight out of the fish and pull hooks. I would not use them for downrigger rods, they are to long.

I had to google for what mooching is, and I know now (in theory) :). Will try it some day. Yeah, I felt like 12ft is too long for downriggers, which is why I had asked in the first place why one would use these... Thanks to all responses!

Here is a picture of my mooching rods and reels. Lots of fun with the single action on salmon.

Tight Lines

RT

57852596566__233C91ED-5167-4B4C-AA0B-2ADDC004E102.JPG57852636688__7C33F027-39E5-49D3-8A61-B9DEE79B9298.JPG

Every time I think I have bought everything I need for fishing, I am discovering more and more stuff that "I don't have... YET" :D:D:D

DR is recommènded for down rigger

10 -12' rods are very popular on west coast

Need a bid boat dance floor
Need room to back up ...when netting fish

I max out at 10.5 foot for a dipsy road and my boat is a pretty decent size. No way I’d use a 12 foot rigger rod. Also did the mooching reel thing, and again there’s a better tool available so I moved on from it.

I've often thought of slapping my 13' Streamside noodle rods in the riggers for salmon/steelhead...

12' would be fine for dipseys or a chute rod...

Yep I've run some light trout rods on my riggers but then again I run bait casters on my float rods. True noodle rod might be a bit light.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks