Aluminum Boat - Cleaning

remhunter

Is there a product that will assist in returning the bottom of my aluminum boat back to original after a season in the water?

Thanks for any assistance.

The KID

Starbrite hull cleaner from Canadian Tire. Spray it on and you will watch the crap fall off. My boat is in the water from March - November and it takes 20 minutes to clean and wax at the end of the season.

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

A friend that does boat repairs on Aluminum boats swears by Aurora products. I have started to use them on my fibreglass boat with very favourable results!

http://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/catalog/alumabrite/index.html?cat=2

can you use either of these products on painted aluminum ?

Just my 2cents worth. I've always used the starbrite hull cleaner over the years but this year I docked the boat in port bruce from mid-june until mid-sept and used 2-bottles of the starbrite hull cleaner and it wouldn't take it all off. I got maybe 25% of it off and must have sprayed it at least 10x while using a high pressure washer. I did some research on the net and tried muriatic acid water down 50% in a spray bottle - what a difference. It took another 3-sprays but did get it all off and way less the cost and only used a water hose to clean it off. The starbrite hull cleaner is $20 per bottle and the muriatic acid purchased for $8.99 huge bottle @ canadian tire in the paint section did the trick and will last me at least 3-4 years. I cleaned the hull up a couple of weeks ago and just put on a wax coat and she looks clean and sharp ready to go muskey fishing next week while I'm on holidays.

Jeff

Have done the muriatic acid trick for the last 5-6 years and works great. The only thing I would add to this is to ensure you nuetralize the acid. This is done by after washing down the boat with water, take the same spray bottle and put baking soda into it. Fill the container up with water then spray the mixture onto the boat and wash it down. The baking soda will then nuetralize any remaining acid residue and your done. This works on glass boats as well. If you do not nuetralize and store the boat over the winter the acid could etch the surface. If you take the boat out on the water you will have no worries as the lake/river will wash it all.

There are a number of hull cleaners out there. I used Captain Fab. It was a powder you mixed and sprayed on. It cleaned my 20' Starcraft 4 times and the bottle of Capt Fab cost me 17.00 I think I got it at Proctor Marine in Simcoe.

spray nine does the trick for me on my boat spray and let it sit for a bit then wash off wash and good to go the star brite works good too but got some on my face when applying it not so nice to the skin safety first good luck

BUDDY used staybrite today-with no sucess-I used acid worked like a charm-just hosed it off.Did use soda 2--best $10.00 cleaning i ever did

Found this recipe on the web a couple years ago and is supposedly what is in Captain Phab.
Buy Oxalic acid powder from the drugstore, add 3-4oz of the powder to a gallon or so of water, spray on with a pump sprayer and wash off with garden hose or power washer, $20 worth will last about 5 uses, works good on aluminium boats too. . It also works to clean your wooden decks.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks