Search results

1. GrouseGuy

unicorn blackjack

What info did you get from the band report?
  2. GrouseGuy

Ontario Sandhill Crane Hunting

The Delta Waterfowl notice I received said a bag limit of 1 crane. Is that per day or per season do you think? With the number of cranes in the southern region I can't see the impact of hunting affecting them much.
  3. GrouseGuy

Hand carved wooden ducks

Joe would be good source for an opinion. That might work.
  4. GrouseGuy

Hand carved wooden ducks

You are certainly correct about this. I was going to suggest maybe $25, but you might find someone willing to pay more if they like them.
  5. GrouseGuy

Second Controlled Hunt

I think it starts on Dec. 4.
  6. GrouseGuy

Duck identification

Definitely a Black Scoter Hen and Nick's got it right for sure. Not a great edible bird.
  7. GrouseGuy

Mitchell’s bay Feb 8th

The prey fish look more like rock bass than crappie.
  8. GrouseGuy

St. Clair River

Two of us caught 6 yesterday on the US side around Harsens Island. The bite was really slow and I think we did better than most other boats.
  9. GrouseGuy

Eurasian Wigeon sighting

Interesting you mention the White-fronted geese. Two springs ago I had a flock of 50-60 land in the corn field behind my home (edging the pond where I saw the Eurasian Wigeon this morning).
  10. GrouseGuy

Eurasian Wigeon sighting

This morning I had a confirmed sighting of a Eurasian Wigeon drake on a pond north of Brantford. It was with a small group of about 8 American Wigeons. Although rare, there have been occasional sightings of this species in Ontario and reported recently in Brant County. This is the first time...
  11. GrouseGuy

The migration is on

I watched over the pond behind my home this evening for about an hour and witnessed quite a spectacle of geese, swans, and ducks coming to roost. One flock of Tundra Swans had to be around 150 birds. Also endless flocks of 40-50 geese. Saw some Trumpeter Swans in the last couple of days.
  12. GrouseGuy

The migration is on

Jerome....I have not hunted in North Dakota for quite a few years, but did successfully hunt swans there during the 5 or so years I did hunt there. I know a lot about the mess made by the goose broods "at the Bridge" on Big Creek where we have a trailer. Two summers ago I witnessed a gosling...
  13. GrouseGuy

The migration is on

There are hundreds of geese and Mallards near my home in the Brantford area. There are some Black Ducks mixed in with the Mallards and also groups of Pintails. A good number of Tundra Swans and a few Sandhills are also showing up. Saw some Red-winged Blackbirds and robins as well.
  14. GrouseGuy

Mounts done!

Nice deer. Too bad you can't see the antlers in the photos.
  15. GrouseGuy

Grouse

We hunted with my Brittanys south of Brantford into Norfolk county from the '70's into the '90's and had many spectacular hunts. About 20 years ago things changed. I don't think it is coincidence that when we started seeing turkeys in our covers grouse numbers declined quite rapidly. The...
  16. GrouseGuy

Off Topic Are these meadow mushrooms?

There are usually a number of criteria to look at for positive ID. You certainly want to be very careful before consumption.
  17. GrouseGuy

Blaze Orange

I believe the regulations say if a big game gun season (deer bear moose elk) is NOT open you can hunt small game with no blaze orange at all. That might not be a smart idea, but it is not illegal. So in this situation there is no law saying you must have a specified amount of blaze orange to...
  18. GrouseGuy

The Tundra Swans Have Arrived

Last Saturday Oct. 24 I heard a couple of them just west of Big Creek in the B zone area. It was dark at the time.
  19. GrouseGuy

Never seen one of these at my pond ever

Your picture proves conclusively that it is a can. The bill in the original photo is solid black, not grey blue with a light band and black at the tip that is characteristic of a redhead hen. Like I said a redhead hen does not have the extensive vermiculation on the back like that on your...
  20. GrouseGuy

Never seen one of these at my pond ever

Anyone who thinks this is a redhead is absolutely 100% wrong, no question. No Redhead hen has the extensive vermiculation patterns that this bird has on the back and sides. And anyone who has looked at the shapes and colours of the bills of the canvasback vs. the redhead would have no doubt...
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks