Search results

1. T

LPWA Annual General Meeting

Hello Guys, Any word as to when our AGM will be held this year? Jerome
  2. T

Million Duck Campaign

Date: March 26, 2024 Re: Million Duck Campaign Hello Guys, I have a small request to make for all of you: 1) For those who are currently Delta Waterfowl members take a look at page 63 of the Spring 2024 issue and consider making a contribution to our "Million Duck Campaign" this year ...
  3. T

Tundra Swan Season Update (2024)

Date: March 26, 2024 Re: Tundra Swan Season Update Mute Swan Population Control Hello Guys, I was involved in a series of correspondence (e-mails) with a senior representative of the Canadian Wildlife Service between March and June of 2023 in which she introduced me to several members...
  4. T

Ice Conditions at Long Point (2023-24)

Hello Guys, I guess that it is time to post my annual thread regarding "Ice Conditions at Long Point" for this year since we had a little bit of ice forming along the calm portions of our shoreline on Saturday morning. I will try to keep you up to date regarding the westerly portion of the...
  5. T

Tundra Swans Have Arrived

Hello Guys, I was out layout hunting for "divers" with my neighbour yesterday and we saw our first arrival of Tundra Swans this year ... obviously having ridden that recent north westerly cold front earlier this week. We did fairly well considering the wicked wind and the shallow water (weed...
  6. T

Why Are Ducks Thriving as Other Birds Decline

Hello Guys, The latest issue of the Delta Waterfowl magazine (Spring 2023) has an excellent article (page 48) written by Kyle Wintersteen (Editor) ... Why Are Ducks Thriving as Other Birds Decline? The article includes an interesting graph from 1970 to 2020 that indicates the following trends...
  7. T

LPWA Annual General Meeting

Hello Guys, Any word yet as to the date for our AGM this year? Any word yet as to the potential agenda items? Jerome
  8. T

Snow Geese at Long Point

Hello Guys, I saw three (3) lesser snow geese flying over the causeway as I was driving to Port Rowan this afternoon ... this was the first time that I have seen snow geese at Long Point. I once saw two (2) white-fronted geese at Long Point several years ago and I was told that the geese had...
  9. T

2023-24 Tundra Swan Stamp

Hello Guys, I just received my winter 2022 issue of the Delta Waterfowl magazine and noticed on page 14 that a Tundra Swan painting by Joseph Hautman has been selected to grace the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp in the United States for the 2023-2024 hunting season. I...
  10. T

Ice Conditions at Long Point 2022-23

Hello Guys, Wow ... never had to start this thread before the first week of December. Just eight (8) days ago I could have laid out in my backyard with only a bathing suit on ... now it is -4 C and covered in snow! I had a pair of mallards feeding in the marsh portion of my backyard (adjacent...
  11. T

Tundra Swans at Long Point

Hello Guys, A few Tundra Swans arrived at Long Point last week (could hear them in the evening) but more arrived earlier this week to "pick over" whatever the invasive local resident Mute Swans had left for them to eat ... more on this later. Jerome
  12. T

Another Tundra Swan Season

Hello Guys, I just found a "press release" on the internet from July of 2020 that Idaho had previously been granted a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season (50 tags) to start in the fall of 2020 ... so this will be their third Tundra Swan season. These birds will be harvested from the Western...
  13. T

Municipal Elections

Hello Guys, I attended a "fish fry" in my neighbour's backyard earlier in September and I met the Mayor of Norfolk County as well as a promising candidate for Ward 1 that includes Long Point. They both support my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as well as a limited (tag...
  14. T

Note Change in Migratory Birds Regulations

Hello Guys, I thought that you should note and know about an important change that has been a long-time coming for Canadian waterfowlers. Further to my initial proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to the CWS in October of 2010, my additional subsequent correspondence justifying...
  15. T

Swan Hunter Orientation Course

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers: I have enclosed a copy of my letter to Mr. Toby Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk) regarding a "Swan Hunter Orientation Course" to be developed for Ontario hunters who would like to participate in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. I have received some suggestions...
  16. T

LPWA - AGM - Agenda

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers: I was wondering if anybody has heard about what will be on the agenda for our Annual General Meeting on April 23, 2022 ... it has been three (3) years since our last Annual General Meeting in 2019 and there must be much to discuss. Some of you may remember that I...
  17. T

Ontario Tundra Swan Season

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers: I have posted a cover letter that is addressed to Mr. Toby Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk) dated March 08, 2022 regarding the establishment of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for the Province of Ontario which is self-explanatory. The subsequent eight (8)...
  18. T

Delist the Mute Swan

798 Highway 59 Port Rowan, Ontario N0E 1M0 March 29, 2022 Mr. Toby Barrett MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk Post Office Box 91 Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 4K8 Re: Delist the Mute Swan Dear Mr. Toby Barrett: The issue regarding delisting the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species needs to be addressed...
  19. T

New Big Creek Bridge

Hello Guys, It looks like the new bridge (one half of it) will be open by the weekend ... they were putting the final "touches" on it today ... looks great. Jerome
  20. T

Ice Conditions at Long Point 2021-22

Hello Guys, I thought that I would post my annual "Ice Conditions at Long Point" thread since we have had a few days with some marginal thin ice forming in the shallow areas of the marsh ... especially in the Big Creek WMA and in the Smith Marsh. I go to Port Rowan a few times every week so I...
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks