Search results

1. G.Mech

Dipsy diving depth highly inaccurate?

I will re-post this report from April 2012 written by a long time member and charter guy. It explains the geometry involved in the depth and distance out of a dipsy in terms only an Einstein could understand....great job though @Hoover !
  2. G.Mech

Please Read...

On autopilot or not, if I'm approaching your boat from your starboard side, regardless of what gear either of us are trolling with, I am the 'stand on' vessel and have the right of way. It follows that you must be approaching my vessel on my port side and are the 'give way' vessel so you are...
  3. G.Mech

I don't really understand your constant aversion to lead core, it's not a lot of fun but it's extremely productive. If you want to pull 8 or 10 lines it's almost a necessity. Dragging fish in from 200 feet out with a dipsy smacking them in the head sucks too and really it's as bad or worse...
  4. G.Mech

My two cents worth: -if you spool your reels consistently and fill the spools 100%, the counters will be very close. As the spools empty, the accuracy deteriorates but letting out 150 feet of braid off a fully spooled reel should be within 5%worst case. -even if they're out a bit, make sure...
  5. G.Mech

Fishing Report An unfortunate series of events port maitland july 12

I know a guy like that....you invite him fishing and he messes up everything:
  6. G.Mech

Fishing Report Boater Etiquette

@stomp Did this post violate forum rules or is it just a personal thing? I'm really not taking sides in this but apologize if I upset the 6-8 apple cart....
  7. G.Mech

Fishing Report Boater Etiquette

Cut and Paste from Big Dave's FB page with his side of the story: Edit: go to Facebook to see more details
  8. G.Mech

Skinny Burwell

Skinny water was good again today. Fished 34-36 fow from 3;30 to 5:30 and got our limits on 3 and 5 colour leadcores. Spoons were best, greasy chicken was the most productive. All lines on boards. The fish are only down 20 feet or so and are spooked by the boat so farther away the better.
  9. G.Mech

Skinny Burwell

Everything off boards.
  10. G.Mech

Skinny Burwell

Still lots of nice fish in the skinny water. Fished Burwell last evening and got 18 nice sized fish all in less than 40 fow, most were in 36 or less. 3 colour leadcore with greasy chicken wing spoon did the best but 5 colour core and flat lined TDD-11's got a few also. Nice not having to run...
  11. G.Mech

Burwell ramps

Well you are now evil and must be punished.... I didn't realize that giving a good review for someone who is not a site sponsor was a crime in 6-8 land but it appears that it is. I completely understand the idea of not running down a site sponsor but it doesn't seem that is what you did...
  12. G.Mech

Traveling with fish in livewell = breaking the law

You can fill your livewell with whatever you want; you cannot transport LIVE FISH OVERLAND.....seems pretty simple.
  13. G.Mech

Traveling with fish in livewell = breaking the law

Is that transporting fish overland? No. This reg is clearly shown on both page 12 and page 14 of the current regs and has been there for years. It was implemented in hopes of stopping people from transporting non-native and invasive species between water bodies.
  14. G.Mech

Erieau beatdown.

Did you actually put a blue/silver redfin in the water??? That could explain the results Chip....
  15. G.Mech

Leamington for Sunday and Monday.

There's lots of wind sites and they don't all agree of course, but Windfinder looks pretty good for Sunday...
  16. G.Mech

Leamington for Sunday and Monday.

Sunday and Monday both look good on Windfinder right now but that can change of course. You can fish along Point Pelee, just go out of Sturgeon woods and turn left, you can fish from there right out to Grubb's reef at the point. If it's bit too choppy along the point especially with a...
  17. G.Mech

Sold ProSport Mariner 20 Plus 3 bank charger

Thanks Balleye, good luck with your adventures!
  18. G.Mech

Sold ProSport Mariner 20 Plus 3 bank charger

My misfortune is your gain...My charger died over the winter (power spike) and they could not send me a warranty replacement in time for my spring fishing so I bought a new one on Amazon for 285+tax on April 1st. The new one just arrived and of course now they're down to $240 bucks on Amazon...
  19. G.Mech

Western Basin wind forecast

We ran purples, pinks, blue/silver and they all worked. I think anything with a hook on it would be effective right now.
  20. G.Mech

Western Basin wind forecast

Fished Leamington with an old friend from 10:30 - 1:00 or so along the point off the park gates. Fish are everywhere, we got ours in 34-36 fow all on crankbaits (TDD-11's) 80-120' back. Kept 12 nice ones 19-24" or so and threw a number back that were not worthy. Ended the day with a 4 fish...