Port Dalhousie

rcfire77

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
@derek9 and myself thought we would do another lengthy trip to Port Dalhousie and out to the US side of the bar. So this morning I with my usual fishing buddy and his two sons met Derek at the launch. This was my first time out this year with my usual suspect fishing buddy so upon arrival I employed his boys (as usual) to help me put the 3 riggers on my boat, get the rod’s unpacked and get it ready to launch. While we were enroute in rough waves to the bar I heard a large crash? My 3 riggers became 2 as my buddies boys forgot to apply the base set screw to attach the rigger (I guess it was too much too remember from the 15/20 times they did it the summer before). So that’s how the day began. Once we arrived to the bar there were other boats but man was it windy and wavy. We set the TWO riggers and 4 dipsey lines and began trolling towards the US side and we were rewarded with a 7lb salmon. It was extremely rough and once we reached our destination we pulled rods and went back to our original start point as we were not making any progress going against the waves. So we set course for the US side but it should be noted that both Derek and I have fishing licenses for the US side. So hide and seek was not on the agenda. I went to bed after the OT goal by Florida and was on the road by 2am for a three hour drive to Port Dalhousie. So I hit up the cuddy for some alone time and when I emerged 90 min lol later the lake was like glass and one of my buddies boys had just landed his first ever salmon. Fast forward to after 6pm when we called it a day due to lack of netted fish (his boys tried unsuccessfully to set the hook on 5/6 salmon with dipseys) and we we’re heading off because of the impending 3 hour drive home that I did not want to make after dark again. 90-150 seemed to be the sweet spot but they hit different spoons so a favourite was never established. So light one rigger as well as a shark Downrigger weight we called it a day after a speedy 13 hours this time Note: the two cannon downriggers not THREE in the photo!

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1977.jpeg
    IMG_1977.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6676.jpeg
    IMG_6676.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6695.jpeg
    IMG_6695.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 106
If you want a job done right, do it yourself….
🤣 guess who lost the shark downrigger weight???!
Was a costly trip but it was a great time and the equipment can be replaced. At least a person didn’t get lost over board…
All of our bladders are stretched out from holding it for the first 5 hours waiting for the lake to calm so we could pee off the swim platform

OUCH!!! 1 Elect Rigger a Shark weight plus no sleep, and you doing the cooking.
You deserve a reward my friend.🏆🎖️🍻🍾
OH! I should have asked, how was the bugs Nats, I was off 50 yesterday and had to call it a day, was so bad after the wind calmed down.

Last edited:
Bugs sucked but I kinda had an idea that worked? I brought along a 60 flex volt Dewalt cordless worksite fan. Set it up on the deck when the bugs got bad. It didn’t eliminate them but it held them at bay enough that we were able to continue fishing.

Great report guys! 👍 Sorry to hear about the equipment loss which always takes the fun out of a day on the water. ☹️

That was a long day for you @rcfire77 you must have been beat by the time you arrived back home. 🥴

We almost lost a rigger in rough water on Erie last year. The cord held it believe it or not and we just happened to look back. It was secured properly too, the waves just bashed it loose. At least you caught fish! Looks like fun was had! Try the horse bug spray at peavy mart next time, it works pretty good for those bugs. So does Piactin spray from home hardware!

Probably referring to Lake Ontario's especially salmonoids having higher contaminants like mercury than the other Great Lakes. Lake Erie, once given up for dead, has the cleanest fish in the province, according to the guide, published by the Ontario Environment Ministry. Contaminant levels are frequently lowest in fish from Lakes Superior and Erie and highest in Lakes Michigan and Ontario, presumably because of differences in agricultural, municipal, industrial, and airborne sources of contaminants. Lake Ontario is far cleaner now than when we fished it heavy in the 1970s, it was horrific back then. Seemed like every time we pulled the riggers up there was every kind of garbage you could imagine clinging to the cables including garbage bags and raw sewage. :eek: Water clarity was maybe a foot and back then we never kept fish to eat. :sick:

Probably referring to Lake Ontario's especially salmonoids having higher contaminants like mercury than the other Great Lakes. Lake Erie, once given up for dead, has the cleanest fish in the province, according to the guide, published by the Ontario Environment Ministry. Contaminant levels are frequently lowest in fish from Lakes Superior and Erie and highest in Lakes Michigan and Ontario, presumably because of differences in agricultural, municipal, industrial, and airborne sources of contaminants. Lake Ontario is far cleaner now than when we fished it heavy in the 1970s, it was horrific back then. Seemed like every time we pulled the riggers up there was every kind of garbage you could imagine clinging to the cables including garbage bags and raw sewage. :eek: Water clarity was maybe a foot and back then we never kept fish to eat. :sick:
IMG_6765.pngIMG_6766.pngIMG_6767.png

I always write my name and telephone number on my downriggers and cannonballs should one fall over or get snagged in 100 foot waters.. If anyone finds them, they are highly likely to call you.

Pro-tipz

I always write my name and telephone number on my downriggers and cannonballs should one fall over or get snagged in 100 foot waters.. If anyone finds them, they are highly likely to call you.

Pro-tipz
I am leaning more towards not being the guy that gets called and has to explain why his rigger was caught by another fisherman!

I am leaning more towards not being the guy that gets called and has to explain why his rigger was caught by another fisherman!
For the cost of a downrigger, I'd be able to come up with a pretty good explanation. I'd just blame somebody else

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks