Lake nipissing bassin

Tyler0420

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have a kayak bass tournament this weekend and have never been to the lake. Anyone have any spots, tips, tricks or techniques they want to share? It’s an early opener up there and bass will probably be pre spawn or spawning.
Thanks for any help

Where do you launch for the tournament? Won't you be kinda stuck in that area with a kayak?

I don't know Nipissing but have fished early season smallies further north lots of times. If they're actually spawning they should be stupid easy to catch - look for wind-sheltered rocky shorelines. Broken rock rather than smooth outcrops. I would rig up something like a rage craw on a shaky head for spot casting, a topwater like a small whopper plopper to cover shallow water, and a jerk bait for fishing the first drops outside those spawning areas. If the spawn is on, don't neglect the first few ft off shore - many shallow spawners up north in my experience. Often you can see them swirling if they're there.

I would start with a map search to find a promising looking large sheltered bay with a good choke point or structure 'highway' from deep to shallow (if they're not spawning, work outward to find them). In a kayak, and not being able to scout ahead of time, you'd want to make sure to pick an area that will at least give you lots of options.

Off topic but I wonder what is the rationale for the season dates up there - they aren't protecting the spawn, why close it at all?

Thanks crestliner16. I can launch anywhere on the lake that is open to the public. No launching from private property.
I’ll have 6 rods rigged up. Topwater, jerkbait/crank baits, drop shot, wacky/neko, tubes/shaky head, Texas rig. Something like that anyways.
I’m thinking of launching in callander bay and fishing the north/west side.

As for the early open season I haven’t really heard much about it beside its to help the people who run resorts out with getting more people up their earlier but not sure if that’s actually why.

Hunters Bay only spot I’ve ever fished on that lake
We caught a musky and a few pike
I would imagine that would be bass waters as well
Was shallow and weedy

Hunters Bay only spot I’ve ever fished on that lake
We caught a musky and a few pike
I would imagine that would be bass waters as well
Was shallow and weedy
Thanks. I was checking out the bays around that area.

My home water ! Where are you fishing there, it's a big lake ....north west end is excellent in spring . North west bay especially.

Callender bay as well.

Mouth of French

West arm .

It's alot of water

Pick an area amd we can talk !

My home water ! Where are you fishing there, it's a big lake ....north west end is excellent in spring . North west bay especially.

Callender bay as well.

Mouth of French

West arm .

It's alot of water

Pick an area amd we can talk !
Thanks jerk bait. I’ll pm you

I’ll check the maps out. Thank you
I’m not staying anywhere. I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon and sleeping In my truck at or close to the launch I’m going to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
With 15-25km north winds that spot doesn’t have much protection from the wind.
Going to be pretty windy and rainy Saturday, not the greatest for kayaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
With 15-25km north winds that spot doesn’t have much protection from the wind.
Going to be pretty windy and rainy Saturday, not the greatest for kayaking.
You asked for a good spot for bass, I didn't check the weather. North winds aren't bad in that area. West winds will kill ya! If your looking for a place to crash on Saturday Lakeshore suites is great if they have availability! Any west winds of any speed and you'll want to fish Callandar or maybe pay one of the local cottage resorts in South bay to launch and fish some more protected waters. Champlain Park is all free and there are bathrooms you can use if you end up there. Good luck, knock em dead!

You asked for a good spot for bass, I didn't check the weather. North winds aren't bad in that area. West winds will kill ya! If your looking for a place to crash on Saturday Lakeshore suites is great if they have availability! Any west winds of any speed and you'll want to fish Callandar or maybe pay one of the local cottage resorts in South bay to launch and fish some more protected waters. Champlain Park is all free and there are bathrooms you can use if you end up there. Good luck, knock em dead!
Thanks again. I’ll check the winds again tomorrow since they keep switching.

Anyone going north this weekend remember to watch your speed. Lots of opp / undercovers on hwy 11 and a few on the 400.

So I guess there are boundaries. Learnt that after summiting two fish and they were disqualified.
Now I’m an hour away from where I can fish.

Rookie mistake but I didn’t see the boundary map.

So the tournament was a bust. Gave up on that and went and fished a river/mouth area for fun. Caught a bunch of smallies a 30” & 32” pike and a 20” walleye. Thanks for everyone’s help. Next month balsam lake.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpeg
    IMG_3152.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 21
So the tournament was a bust. Gave up on that and went and fished a river/mouth area for fun. Caught a bunch of smallies a 30” & 32” pike and a 20” walleye. Thanks for everyone’s help. Next month balsam lake.
Great photo’s and attitude there @Tyler0420 👍👍 and I love the variety of fish that you are able to catch there! Tight lines on Balsam Lake next month,and I wonder if these kayak tournament’s allow a “hybrid” such as mine, ( kayak / canoe combo ), in their tournament’s,for I wouldn’t mind participating in a kayak tournament sometime,somewhere. Be Safe & myself and likely others,are looking forward to your kayak tournament’s,and other kayak trip’s results. 🛶🎣🐟🐟😉👍😎

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpeg
    IMG_1848.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1846.jpeg
    IMG_1846.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1446.jpeg
    IMG_1446.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3548.jpeg
    IMG_3548.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 9
Great photo’s and attitude there @Tyler0420 👍👍 and I love the variety of fish that you are able to catch there! Tight lines on Balsam Lake next month,and I wonder if these kayak tournament’s allow a “hybrid” such as mine, ( kayak / canoe combo ), in their tournament’s,for I wouldn’t mind participating in a kayak tournament sometime,somewhere. Be Safe & myself and likely others,are looking forward to your kayak tournament’s,and other kayak trip’s results. 🛶🎣🐟🐟😉👍😎
I think your hybrid would be fine. But you would definitely have to ask first.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks