Off Topic Coupler failure

cmac

Fired the boat last week for a pre season service and noticed she running warm. Changed the oil and dropped the lower unit to inspect the water pump. Like new, 1 season old. Noticed the "O" ring missing from shaft and probed the upper gear housing for it. Found the lower oil seal needed replacing. Had to use hydraulic pressure to remove the drive as she was not coming out on her own. This is what I found. Oddly, the drive was removed last Aug. for service and everything was in perfect order, in and out like butter... and well greased. Engine mounts, stringers and all support members are all good. Any opinions as to why this would fail in such short time? I'm all ears. On the bright side, all things happen for a reason. Thank goodness I found this issue now as opposed to 5 miles out on the first outing of the season. I heard sea tow's are pretty costly now.20230511_172729.jpg20230513_112851.jpg

It is usually alignment issues, I would check very closely
If all checks out it is then clearly gremlins and they take up shop frequently in boats that sit more than run
Make sure the springs and fiber washers are still good on mounts as well

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks