KFP (Kentucky Fried Pike)

Octavius Brine

This one is my original recipe, though hardly unique. It’s just how I fry chicken, but with pike. It’s perfect if you find pike hard to clean and have ragged little pieces of fish. Other species would be fine too.

Marinate your fish with enough plain yogurt or buttermilk to coat, plus a few dashes of hot sauce. An hour to overnight… it’s not critical. If you have super thick Greek yogurt add milk to make it more fluid.

Mix Old Bay seasoning and white flour (about 1 tablespoon seasoning per cup if you like measuring, or just enough to make it slightly orange).

Dip your yogurty fish bits in the flour. The little clumpy bits that form are the “crunch enhancers”. Let sit on the counter a few minutes and then fry them fairly hot to get it browned fast.

Makes a mean fish taco. It’s like KFC popcorn chicken.

Attachments

• 47826C4D-C761-4633-82CC-620AB57AC3A5.jpeg
    47826C4D-C761-4633-82CC-620AB57AC3A5.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 05C7A8B8-74CB-4B7B-A835-1F0D8CF059B0.jpeg
    05C7A8B8-74CB-4B7B-A835-1F0D8CF059B0.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 65CCD970-0A34-449E-9D15-146ADD7E6431.jpeg
    65CCD970-0A34-449E-9D15-146ADD7E6431.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 29
  • EE63CA39-B64B-4F3D-A2D2-F88A909F0BD5.jpeg
    EE63CA39-B64B-4F3D-A2D2-F88A909F0BD5.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 29
This one is my original recipe, though hardly unique. It’s just how I fry chicken, but with pike. It’s perfect if you find pike hard to clean and have ragged little pieces of fish. Other species would be fine too.

Marinate your fish with enough plain yogurt or buttermilk to coat, plus a few dashes of hot sauce. An hour to overnight… it’s not critical. If you have super thick Greek yogurt add milk to make it more fluid.

Mix Old Bay seasoning and white flour (about 1 tablespoon seasoning per cup if you like measuring, or just enough to make it slightly orange).

Dip your yogurty fish bits in the flour. The little clumpy bits that form are the “crunch enhancers”. Let sit on the counter a few minutes and then fry them fairly hot to get it browned fast.

Makes a mean fish taco. It’s like KFC popcorn chicken.
It looks simple to do,and also looks delicious @Octavius Brine 👍 Thanks for sharing,and my next pike that I will catch,will be done this way. Tight lines & Pike ON!! 🛶🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Last edited:
Was that some of the lake Erie pike, looks yummy. How did the boys enjoy it ?

I am sure this recipe will be a hit for you @Red Hering !

And @Red Fisher - yes, this was the fish from the weekend! I’d say that the KFP is the overall family favourite fish, but the perch in fish crisp was a hit too. The kids are hit and miss with fish. Yesterday my oldest came in saying “I don’t like fish” and then picked a few crispy bits, and then was going to town on it and asked if we can make it again some time. 🤷‍♂️

I would say the same thing @anonymoose except that she found the one stray y bone yesterday haha, so probably walleye takes the lead. And the unzipping trick is just plain fun.

My uncle was hassling me about keeping pike because of slime and bones… it’s his loss!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks