Fishing Report Lake Erie East to West

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After taking a few weeks off we decided to hit Point Abino for perch on Friday. It wasn't like the old days at Hastings but we got 75 nice fish in 63 fow S-E of the point. They weren't all jumbos but most were over 10" with a bunch of 14's and even a 15" which is going make an amazing sandwich.

On Monday we made the trek to Colchester and found that the walleye weren't in any of their usual places for some reason. After a few hours of searching without joy, we left the pack behind and found a nice pod of 22-25" fish out in 26 fow. Got one 29" as well that was released. They were mainly spawned out females that were a bit skinny but still a nice bunch of fish. Crankbaits such as Bandits and TDD-11's were far better than the worm harnesses which only seemed to attract junk fish and one small walleye. Best colours were Purple, purple, and purple.

Both days were perfect fishing weather and the company was half decent too....lots of fun!

Crystal Jumbos.jpg

Colchester Eyes.jpg

Sold all my tackle and all the worm harnesses I had with my last charter boat. I was thinking of making the trip down to Colchester some time in the next week or so and was going to pick up some harnesses for the trip. You changed my mind on the harnesses and I will just go with the limited spoons and cranks I have picked up since I sold the big boat. RRF's, Taildancers and Bandits should work along with some spoons.

Reactions: DST
Sold all my tackle and all the worm harnesses I had with my last charter boat. I was thinking of making the trip down to Colchester some time in the next week or so and was going to pick up some harnesses for the trip. You changed my mind on the harnesses and I will just go with the limited spoons and cranks I have picked up since I sold the big boat. RRF's, Taildancers and Bandits should work along with some spoons.
Absolutely, it's not how we used to do it but I've had very good results with cranks there in the last few years and am phasing out the harnesses...just can't quite let go yet though, old habits die hard.

Last edited:
Absolutely, it's not how we used to do it but I've had very good results with cranks there in the last few years and am phasing out the harnesses...just can't quite let go yet though, old habits die hard.
I hear you G. Mech. I have not used a worm harness since I sold my Charter boat and have never looked back. Getting spoiled at Glasgow helps with limits pretty much every time out with body baits and spoons.

Harnesses work better in June down in Leamington for some reason. Cranks also.
I fish with both there as well and they all produce good numbers but have found the crankbaits will get the bigger fish.

Depends on water temperature to a big degree and I troll faster than most people but typically 1.7 to 2.2 mph in the spring. We were running at 2.0 yesterday when we were getting fish but had been running much slower before that without success.

Last edited:
I use real worms. I ran some plastics beside real a few times to see and the results were startling, like 10:1 on real vs plastic. I have seen some video from underwater cameras and these fish actually follow the bait for quite a while much of the time and I think the scent plays a huge role in getting a strike.

We're fishing Leamington Sat with Steve Simpson..Simpers Charters. WE go every spring with him and its a riot!! Ill post results Sunday.

I plan to hit Leemington first week of June. Missed during the Vid years... but it has been a annual trip and love it. Great ramp and marina. Its nice to fish the west end. Always have had success. Great area.

I'll probably head down mid-June as well. Id take @stomp again but I can't afford to keep buying him these damn straw hats that he loses and replacing kicker drive shafts... Despite that hassle, it is a fantastic place to fish and I really look forward to a couple of trips down every year

I'll probably head down mid-June as well. Id take @stomp again but I can't afford to keep buying him these damn straw hats that he loses and replacing kicker drive shafts... Despite that hassle, it is a fantastic place to fish and I really look forward to a couple of trips down every year
Don’t blame you @G.Mech, but didn’t I partially redeem myself during our quest for fall Muskie? I kept myself and my gear out of the drink and maybe even brought good luck!?🧲👒

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks