Fishing Report Blue Water Salmon Derby

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Finally got a break in the weather today. Lost a big fish but don't know what it was. Caught a small Coho and a nice Atlantic Salmon. Will be back at it in the morning Both fish came off spoons as well as the big one I lost and all 3 off the rigger at 43 feet down. The big one I lost broke the seagar Floro leader.

Attachments

• a and c.jpg
    a and c.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
nice Atlantic! I lost a big fish today too. I know it was a Chinook by the way it was fighting. It was a top 5 fish. Broke off. Chaffed through 18lb floro we did see it but was quite a ways away… 6 colour

sounds like somebody got a rush today loosing a big fish..with a break off.. its agony..good luck tomorrow..

Finally got a break in the weather today. Lost a big fish but don't know what it was. Caught a small Coho and a nice Atlantic Salmon. Will be back at it in the morning Both fish came off spoons as well as the big one I lost and all 3 off the rigger at 43 feet down. The big one I lost broke the seagar Floro leader.
Thanks for your update @scrimmy 👍👍 and where I was in Pt. Edward fishing today,mostly everyone there were catching walleye’s,and very few salmon’s were caught! It was great texting with you back & forth today as well today,while you were off Port Franks fishing,and I was fishing in Pt. Edward Tight lines tomorrow,and catch the “ Big One!!” 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

I just wondered red hering its nice to hear you out fishing a few times ..have you caught many fish..have you been trolling ?

you stop over sometime i have a couple limericky originals new in the pkg...I ordered 2 dozen lime rickys direct from the wiarton tackle shop

Last edited:
I just wondered red hering its nice to hear you out fishing a few times ..have you caught many fish..have you been trolling ?
Thanks @mick for inquiring about my fishing,but no,even though I have been fishing down around Pt. Edward 3 times in the last two weeks,my fishing from shore has been horrible!! It’s time for me now to get more serious,and forget about Pt. Edward and fishing from shore there,and for me to finally get my boat out,now that the winds have finally settled down somewhat,to fish out on Lake Huron for some salmon! By me just reading @scrimmy and @rastam4n reports from today of them losing some big fish today, I am therefore now looking for the challenge of perhaps catching a big salmon!! 🚤🎣🐟🤞 There are only 3 day’s left in this 47th Salmon Derby,and tight lines to All!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 4
lake Huron is challenging pristine water conditions, the water clarity such clear visability, need to lighten up our main lines, & are leaders, I got a few proven baits for lake Huron in brand name Silver Fox & NK28 holograms, that was my #1..the name brand NK28s spoons in many colours and also green dolphin blue dolphin money and the cracked ice MJs there more in august like lymans.. spring producers AC shiners..best body baits depending on the day

you stop over sometime i have a couple limericky originals new in the pkg...I ordered 2 dozen lime rickys direct from the wiarton tackle shop
@mick are you offering me 2 limericky’s ? 🤔 If so, I don’t know when I will be in the St.Thomas area again,were I believe that’s where you live

lake Huron is challenging pristine water conditions, the water clarity such clear visability, need to lighten up our main lines, & are leaders, I got a few proven baits for lake Huron in brand name Silver Fox & NK28 holograms, that was my #1..the name brand NK28s spoons in many colours and also green dolphin blue dolphin money and the cracked ice MJs there more in august like lymans.. spring producers AC shiners..best body baits depending on the day
I remember @mick us talking about the AC shiners a while back,and being a great spring lure,and those lure’s,look very natural! 👍🙂

@scrimmy... Happy to hear you are catching some fish with the better weather conditions. I wonder about that fluorocarbon as it just doesn't seem to have the breaking strength of mono. I remember with several breakoffs it seems it's always the fluoro that breaks. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the tournament Wayne and also any other 68 members fishing in it. (y)

myself I don't fish fluro carbon..I do fish lighter high performance line..Gamma is my 6lb 8lb & 10 lb in moss green..for line shy fishing..

gin coloured waters like niagara river, owen sound, lake huron.. run alot of leadcore off Goderich full 10 colours..mostly mid summer rainbows & walleye ..kings close to the bottom & cohos off the riggers with the sliders..10lb test sliders & flutter spoons off Grand Bend a couple seasons ago..before the beach crowd shows up..go on a week day..

I got a decent hump off stanley last June when the smelt are in and no gill net...micro leadcore with a gamma leader the 375 shiner up high off the boards..see the water clarity...

let the bow go..
March 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 116.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 154.jpg
see the port side board is up..bingo a starboard coho for dinner..on a light SSE

don't remember fat impressive girths in June.. like that big buck..go around with a tape..and that fat hen..the forage was 2- inch smelts loaded..walleyes as well...and the MNRR put previous year sample smelt forage counts including Gizzard shad to low and concerning..how could they get counted with these 2- inch smelts 2022 season..

I can say Lake Erie should be a great season this season for size and numbers..alot less skinnier walleyes for this season..how ever the lake sets up for water temp & forage..
the price determines the health of the resource...I was at Metro 3 weeks ago...they had stacks of fresh wild pickerel fillets with skin removed, at $9.99 lb
and double check that cost of Diesel fuel for the tugs..I am an erie fisherman not an economist..the COLA is still going the sammmme direction

I remember chattin with expert Jackson fisheries capt. down at the harbour last June..he was complaining about how far out the walleyes were and the higher cost to get them to market..

I just called the st.thomas metro meat department ..the pickerel fillets retail regular price today is $14.99 lb..sale price was last week at $9.99 lb

the inventory is large, fresh and local..I can bet the other local food stores have fresh pickerel fillets that go on sale as well

Last edited:
@scrimmy... Happy to hear you are catching some fish with the better weather conditions. I wonder about that fluorocarbon as it just doesn't seem to have the breaking strength of mono. I remember with several breakoffs it seems it's always the fluoro that breaks. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the tournament Wayne and also any other 68 members fishing in it. (y)
Well Bob I went out this morning at 6:00 AM and there were too many boats to count and it was getting crazy trying to dodge other boats when I had 1 big planer board out. I was getting a bad headache that would not quit so I decided to end my Derby and pull the boat out and take it back to Port Glasgow.

Well Bob I went out this morning at 6:00 AM and there were too many boats to count and it was getting crazy trying to dodge other boats when I had 1 big planer board out. I was getting a bad headache that would not quit so I decided to end my Derby and pull the boat out and take it back to Port Glasgow.
Sad to read @scrimmy about your bad headache,and the lots of boats out today! Well at least you had one good day of fishing yesterday. Hoping that you end up with some sort of prize for entering some fish,wether it’s through a draw,etc. All the best & tight lines off Port Glasgow this year. 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Last edited:
Second day out of the Kettle Point Marina. Just washed lures and put fuel threw it the first day and today ‘Prestige Worldwide’ broke its ‘new to me’ cherry….. however I think it’s fair to say after being spoiled by Lake Ontario and Erie fishing that this was a test of patience.

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1832.jpeg
    IMG_1832.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1831.jpeg
    IMG_1831.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 34
It's nice to see a group of folks enjoying the lake as much as I do! :) First time poster here! I have to say I've been fishing Lake Ontario (Port D) mostly for cohos, and Erie out or Maitland for walleye these last few years but I live in Fergus now and used to flyfish the Maitland through my younger years… I have a special place in my heart for Lake Huron… as a kid we would fish Manitoulin (Providence bay) before the crash and that was a blast! So many good memories… I'm really hoping to learn how to catch a few fish now out of Goderich and Port Franks as I have my in-laws in Port Franks during the summer months… I am hoping maybe some of you might be willing to share some starters for me… not new to trolling, but I consider myself new to trolling Huron… :)

I have been trolling out of Goderich the last few weekends but have yet to get into anything… I'm fishing 60-80 with inline weights (torpedos) to drop into the 40ft range with spoons and ripplin redfins in green and silvers…. I'm happy to shoot for walleye or salmon, or steelhead really anything to break the skunk… :) I am happy to trade info if anyone is willing to help a fella out?… :)

Thanks guys!
Marc

I live 30 min from goderich but I haven’t been out there yet as I am still making my annual spring trips to Port Dalhousie. I won’t have my boat in Erie til July so let me know if you wanna get out on Huron at goderich

It's nice to see a group of folks enjoying the lake as much as I do! :) First time poster here! I have to say I've been fishing Lake Ontario (Port D) mostly for cohos, and Erie out or Maitland for walleye these last few years but I live in Fergus now and used to flyfish the Maitland through my younger years… I have a special place in my heart for Lake Huron… as a kid we would fish Manitoulin (Providence bay) before the crash and that was a blast! So many good memories… I'm really hoping to learn how to catch a few fish now out of Goderich and Port Franks as I have my in-laws in Port Franks during the summer months… I am hoping maybe some of you might be willing to share some starters for me… not new to trolling, but I consider myself new to trolling Huron… :)

I have been trolling out of Goderich the last few weekends but have yet to get into anything… I'm fishing 60-80 with inline weights (torpedos) to drop into the 40ft range with spoons and ripplin redfins in green and silvers…. I'm happy to shoot for walleye or salmon, or steelhead really anything to break the skunk… :) I am happy to trade info if anyone is willing to help a fella out?… :)

Thanks guys!
Marc
Your best bet out of Goderich this time of year is to target Lake trout. Look up Dwindles Dream Charter Fishing, it is their speciality.
There will be more Salmon as the water warms up down here but right now they are not that far North... yet...

Ah ok thank you for the feedback… I wondered as I suspected they would be moving north as the weather improves… I have my in-laws in Grand Bend (Port Franks) and so I will be fishing Kettle Point this weekend… maybe better head to Port D for now … I guess I was thinking just maybe Goderich would have some walleye kicking around, and maybe if all else fails still some perch available… but maybe I'm a bit early for the first, and late for the second….?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks