Off Topic Day 2 Bluewater Salmon Derby

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I must be losing my touch.I could find baitfish but nothing bigger today. It is a bad day for my dock neighbor as when I got there at 6:00 AM this morning I noticed his boat was a bit under the weather. While I was out off Kettle Point this morning I noticed a 21' Bayliner too close to the point and it was too late for them. The boat hit the rocks and soon after went down. No pics of that one as I had a brain fart and was going to go help the guys but another boat was already there. It was a bit lumpy at times today but I can;t seem to find the Salmon. It was raining off and on all morning but no lightning so I braved it until about 11:30 with not even a knock off so I said enough of this and headed for port.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 166
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 156
  • baitfish.jpg
    baitfish.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 155
  • anglers.jpg
    anglers.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Not sure why my neighbor's boat went down but I would suspect he forgot to put the plug in.

I must be losing my touch.I could find baitfish but nothing bigger today. It is a bad day for my dock neighbor as when I got there at 6:00 AM this morning I noticed his boat was a bit under the weather. While I was out off Kettle Point this morning I noticed a 21' Bayliner too close to the point and it was too late for them. No pics of that one as I had a brain fart and was going to go help the guys but another boat was already there. It was a bit lumpy at times today but I can;t seem to find the Salmon. It was raining off and on all morning but no lightning so I braved it until about 11:30 with not even a knock off so I said enough of this and headed for port.
I stand corrected as the Bayliner did not hit the rocks but his bellows blew out.

I must be losing my touch.I could find baitfish but nothing bigger today. It is a bad day for my dock neighbor as when I got there at 6:00 AM this morning I noticed his boat was a bit under the weather. While I was out off Kettle Point this morning I noticed a 21' Bayliner too close to the point and it was too late for them. The boat hit the rocks and soon after went down. No pics of that one as I had a brain fart and was going to go help the guys but another boat was already there. It was a bit lumpy at times today but I can;t seem to find the Salmon. It was raining off and on all morning but no lightning so I braved it until about 11:30 with not even a knock off so I said enough of this and headed for port.
It looks like the fishing has been slow out there for some angler’s @scrimmy and therefore it seems,that I am not missing too much out there fishing from out of my boat,due mostly because of the weather. Hopefully though,the weather will cooperate somewhat later this week,before I launch my boat out onto Lake Huron to try my luck for some salmon & rainbows,etc. Tight lines to you @scrimmy and @rastam4n etc., and whoever else is participating in this years,47th Salmon Derby. 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 5
I have been building a cottage up on kettle point for a buddy the last while. I hired some locals to do the drywall as I hate it. I have been finishing up the shiplap ceiling and flooring this week and the locals pointed me in the right direction for fishing this Friday to Sunday. If the tips pan out I will post the info on here so other 68 members can hopefully use it as well. Only IF it pans out though?

Bellows don't blow out, they crack and dry out. Preventative. Every 4 or 5 years for me , with Merc parts.

That’s a bad day, either one of those scenarios. Especially in this cold weather and water. Good thing there was another boater nearby to help.

Bellows don't blow out, they crack and dry out. Preventative. Every 4 or 5 years for me , with Merc parts.
Bellows blew out is just an expression GPS. You know how many I/O's I have had over the years and I have changed many Bellows myself along the way. On another note the Islander beside me has been rescued and is now removed from the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: GPS
Was scared when I was 5 miles out of Port Glasgow and had a catastrophic failure with the old boat. . . Had the splines on my I/O go and lost all propulsion in 60 feet of water with a north/east wind. Needless to say, a kicker and Minn Kota Terrova was there to save the day. New boat has a 90 and a 9.9 outboard along with the Terrova. A paddle, Marine radio and a set of flares as well just in case. That one scare was enough to say "No More "

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks