Minn Kota Alternator

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
When you don't have room in the battery box for one you make room. There was a slide out tackle box with a flip up door in the front of the side console I never use so out it come. I got room now! Hopefully it will keep my trolling batteries in better shape by the time we go home not leaving them so drained. 👍

PXL_20230427_200741715.jpg

PXL_20230427_200822664.jpg

Last edited:
can that unit stand up to rain or a choppy ride back to shore? Looks to be in a vulnerable spot. Probably wouldn't take much to put a cheap plexiglass something over it. Like the workmanship though, very nice installation.

can that unit stand up to rain or a choppy ride back to shore? Looks to be in a vulnerable spot. Probably wouldn't take much to put a cheap plexiglass something over it. Like the workmanship though, very nice installation.
They are completely waterproof so shouldn't be a problem. It's fastened down extremely well to prevent movement in the chop as Minn Kota recommended.

Can you explain how it works?
Does it hook up to your main motor battery?

Yes it hooks up to the starter and to the 2 trolling motor batteries. Once the starter is at full charge it then sends 10 amps to each trolling motor battery while we are trolling with the main motor. You still have to charge them at home with the onboard charger but the batteries won't be drained down which should also make them last longer. Another wire hooks up to any point where it doesn't become live until the ignition is on which turns on the alternator. It won't overcharge the batteries either.

I used to just use a battery switch, you;dn't that kinda get the same results? On #1 just main then on #2 added the trolling battery. I was more concerned using the switch as a shut off when not in use but using the battery switch it kept the trolling battery pretty well charged. Just wondering....

When you don't have room in the battery box for one you make room. There was a slide out tackle box with a flip up door in the front of the side console I never use so out it come. I got room now! Hopefully it will keep my trolling batteries in better shape by the time we go home not leaving them so drained. 👍

View attachment 72614

View attachment 72615
Next addition on my bucket list before a Lowrance Ghost. Heard a lot of good reviews on the Alternators and ones definitely on my list as they're definitely cheap insurance for the price.

I have the one bank battery version since my 55Lb is only 12v. Works great for having a non hydro dock. Once it senses +13v on the main, it opens up automatically to charge the front battery.

It's been on my boat for ten years of pounding and a few times submerged due to an ongoing rivet issue. Still working as good as the first day I installed it.

Also wondering what you think about battery size for the main.
How do you know when you would require a bigger battery.. like how many accessories can it handle

I shoehorned the biggest cranking/deep cycle main I could fit into the hole. Just a carquest brand battery... Held up to a seasons worth of constant bilge pump operation without shore power

@Derkd9... The 2-bank alternator was $171 ($193.23 W/tax) from Amazon. Because of where I had to mount it cost me about $100 extra for marine grade tinned copper wire to run from alternator connection to the main battery at the back, extra connections, marine tinned copper junction posts
& waterproof inline fuse holders, as well all the stainless-steel mounting hardware etc. Anything marine tinned copper is very pricey.

To your other question I have always used an Interstate group 27M starting battery for my main. I run everything off it but the trolling motor and it never gets drained down. Howbeit my Honda 90 is always charging it because I always troll with it. I have averaged 10 years of life on the starter battery. I use 2 group 31M deep cycle for the trolling motor.

27m-xhd_front.png

How important is the marine grade tinned wire??
I have used automotive wire on my boat before but all the connections usually corrode badly in marine conditions. Marine wire is not only tinned copper corrosion resistant but will take up to 105 celsius temps so far more resistant to overheating and has superior current carrying capacity because it has about 15% more copper strands than automotive wiring. Do it once and forget about it.

sorry , for batteries size doesn't really mater....... lol........it's the AMP hours that I find make the biggest difference to me.

just had to say it.....😎

of course the size does mater for life on water but don't scrimp on low amp hours to save a few bucks, you'll be disappointed.

ive had minni kota alternater for years .batteries allways fully charged buy time i get to boat launch .can run 24 volt all day with big motor 115 trolling as long as i stay at power of 5 or less.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks