Fishing Report Port Frank's River Mouth and ramps, Salmon Derby starts this Friday!

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi guys, the Port Franks river mouth channel markers are in place, the channel is wide and deep.
Christine's launch ramp is open and being maintained $30 to launch and park
Port Frank's Marina ramp is accessible, they are installing the floating docks today. (usually free for the derby)
Unfortunately, the channel markers from the Port Franks Marina to the river mouth are not yet in place, hopefully they will get them in soon. Warning, there are some shallow spots this year.
My boat is not ready yet, so I will be fishing the derby with Capt. Fred.
Good luck to you all.

Hi guys, the Port Franks river mouth channel markers are in place, the channel is wide and deep.
Christine's launch ramp is open and being maintained $30 to launch and park
Port Frank's Marina ramp is accessible, they are installing the floating docks today. (usually free for the derby)
Unfortunately, the channel markers from the Port Franks Marina to the river mouth are not yet in place, hopefully they will get them in soon. Warning, there are some shallow spots this year.
My boat is not ready yet, so I will be fishing the derby with Capt. Fred.
Good luck to you all.
Thanks @rastam4n for the update, πŸ‘πŸ‘ about the floating docks being installed today. πŸ‘There were no floating docks there in this photo when I was last there on April 11/23,good to know that the floating docks will be there again! πŸ‘ Plus,”FREE” to use boat ramp,would be fantastic again as well! πŸ‘ A photo also of the boat ramp rules at the Port Franks marina ramp to obey,especially the one I am pointing at. Tight lines to you @rastam4n and Capt. Fred,and others as well,that are participating in this years, 47th Salmon Derby. 🚀🎣🐟🐟 πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Brought my boat home from Port Glasgow today and got her ready for the Bluewater derby on Friday. I will be heading down to Port Thursday.

My boat's not ready for the water yet, would have liked to fish this derby :(:(:(
That’s sad news @Wilker Tim πŸ‘Ž πŸ™ the weather isn’t looking the greatest so far for Lake Huron for boating/fishing. Strong winds and rain on top of that,on most day’s as of now,if that helps you any.

Last edited:
So far this derby looks like another bust. If I had not bought my ticket and got a dock already I would be passing on this derby again. As it is I will dock the boat at Port Franks tomorrow and hope for the best.

So far this derby looks like another bust. If I had not bought my ticket and got a dock already I would be passing on this derby again. As it is I will dock the boat at Port Franks tomorrow and hope for the best.
@scrimmy good luck,and I know that it can be frustrating mostly because of the weather,but I always buy a ticket wether I fish this derby or not,( because of the weather ),to just basically help out as well with the operation of the Bluewater Fish Hatchery,with my ticket money,and other participants money who enter as well. If this derby looks like another bust,as you had mentioned, I will therefore fish off the St.Clair riverbank somewhere,like I had just done so last weekend,( April 22,2023 ),when the Bluewater Anglers Club held their Club Spring Derby. Some trout,coho’s and walleye’s from the riverbank ( photo ),were caught on that day. Of course, I still want to get out with my boat if possible,and here’s hoping that there will be a chance that myself,and like yourself and others will be able to do so. But,Safety out on the lake is always first! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 17
Well I got up at 5:00 AM this morning and made the drive to Hagersville for a couple items I needed and then back to London to hook up the Legend and head off to Port Franks to dock the boat for the derby. I noticed Port Franks Charters Peter (rastam4n) as well as Blueline Charters Fred were out in Bluelines boat pre fishing the derby. I did not bother to go out in the Legend as I am beet and headed home for a good rest before tomorrow. If your out tomorrow Red give me a shout on the radio or text me.

Well I got up at 5:00 AM this morning and made the drive to Hagersville for a couple items I needed and then back to London to hook up the Legend and head off to Port Franks to dock the boat for the derby. I noticed Port Franks Charters Peter (rastam4n) as well as Blueline Charters Fred were out in Bluelines boat pre fishing the derby. I did not bother to go out in the Legend as I am beet and headed home for a good rest before tomorrow. If your out tomorrow Red give me a shout on the radio or text me.
Will do @scrimmy if I am out off Port Franks tomorrow,( I am not too sure yet,which area I will be fishing in),and tight lines!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

Will do @scrimmy if I am out off Port Franks tomorrow,( I am not too sure yet,which area I will be fishing in),and tight lines!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚
It’s nice as well that the Grand Bend Yacht Club have put in their docks at the boat ramp there,for anyone wishing to fish from there,during this years 47th Annual Salmon Derby,etc. πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

All the best to you Ambassador Red. Hopefully you are out today and catching. We will be up late afternoon early evening today and weather permitting will fish the weekend. Monday Tuesday Wednesday not looking favourable but could change. Will try to contact you Sunday

All the best to you Ambassador Red. Hopefully you are out today and catching. We will be up late afternoon early evening today and weather permitting will fish the weekend. Monday Tuesday Wednesday not looking favourable but could change. Will try to contact you Sunday
Thanks @gibby123 πŸ‘ and good luck to you of course as well. πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘Š I am in Pt.Edward today trying my luck around here from shore,and hopefully weather permitting,I will be fishing out of my boat through next week,( not Sunday),on Lake Huron. We will keep in touch & Tight Lines!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ€žπŸ‘πŸ™‚

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 3
Hi All. The first 3 days of the derby were great. So far we have weighed in a 9lb and a 13.6lb Chinook, the 13lber is currently holding 4th place.
We also weighted in a variety of Coho just for daily draw opportunity.
A few days off the water now, hopefully be back out there thursday.

Hi All. The first 3 days of the derby were great. So far we have weighed in a 9lb and a 13.6lb Chinook, the 13lber is currently holding 4th place.
We also weighted in a variety of Coho just for daily draw opportunity.
A few days off the water now, hopefully be back out there thursday.
That’s great news @rastam4n and congratulations! πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘Š Hopefully,your 4th place salmon will hold its spot there.Who knows,you might even be able to knockout the first place salmon,because there are still plenty of day’s left,in this 47th Salmon Derby to do so! I am looking forward to be fishing out on Lake Huron later this week,and tight lines & See ya on the water. πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

It’s nice as well that the Grand Bend Yacht Club have put in their docks at the boat ramp there,for anyone wishing to fish from there,during this years 47th Annual Salmon Derby,etc. πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚
The weather has not been helpful Red. I don't plan on going out again until Thursday weather permitting. Good luck to you if you get out or fish from shore.

The weather has not been helpful Red. I don't plan on going out again until Thursday weather permitting. Good luck to you if you get out or fish from shore.
I agree @scrimmy the weather has been awful,and as of now, I don’t know 🀷 where I will be fishing. I will text you a day ahead,when & if I do go out,especially with my boat off Port Franks,or from the R & R marina,Grand Bend etc. By the way,do I need a 4 X 4 truck,( because of low water conditions),to use the boat ramp at Port Franks,if I do decide to use that boat ramp? Thanks in advance,and I hope to meet up with you sometime this week. Tight lines & Salmon,ON!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

I am up working on the cottage today at Kettle Point. It’s rough out there. 20/30 boats out front of Ipperwash beach yesterday. One today!

I agree @scrimmy the weather has been awful,and as of now, I don’t know 🀷 where I will be fishing. I will text you a day ahead,when & if I do go out,especially with my boat off Port Franks,or from the R & R marina,Grand Bend etc. By the way,do I need a 4 X 4 truck,( because of low water conditions),to use the boat ramp at Port Franks,if I do decide to use that boat ramp? Thanks in advance,and I hope to meet up with you sometime this week. Tight lines & Salmon,ON!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚
No 4x4 needed Red. My F150 is not a 4x4 and it is the first 2 wheel drive vehicle I have had in about 40 years.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks