Fishing Report St. Clair River, Sarnia, Apr 11th

Fishermanpaul

Went out last night after work and trolled salmon. Ended up catching one and missing 1-2 bites. Also found a bonus pike while trolling around. Both were caught on a berkley flicker shad 5 in firetiger colour, trolling about as slow as I could.

After trolling we switched up and did two quick drifts and caught three walleye and missed 2 more that came off. The bite was very very light and we used 3/4 Oz mooneye yellow jig heads with a purple shine finesse minnow and tipped with a small minnow.

The water temps were 38-39 in the main river, and up to 44 degrees in the bay.

Attachments

• E442052C-40B3-494C-9534-67DDC737A5EE.jpeg
    E442052C-40B3-494C-9534-67DDC737A5EE.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 134
  • D3B60AEB-79C0-4120-8B55-908A3D3C8616.jpeg
    D3B60AEB-79C0-4120-8B55-908A3D3C8616.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 127
Went out last night after work and trolled salmon. Ended up catching one and missing 1-2 bites. Also found a bonus pike while trolling around. Both were caught on a berkley flicker shad 5 in firetiger colour, trolling about as slow as I could.

After trolling we switched up and did two quick drifts and caught three walleye and missed 2 more that came off. The bite was very very light and we used 3/4 Oz mooneye yellow jig heads with a purple shine finesse minnow and tipped with a small minnow.

The water temps were 38-39 in the main river, and up to 44 degrees in the bay.
A Excellent report there @Fishermanpaul !! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š I should have brought down my fishing pole,( I usually do),with me yesterday there to fish along the St.Clair River, from shore,but I was pushing for time,and I was too busy filling my face instead with pulled pork,cheese curds,and gravy,plus a sausage on a bun,at a Chip wagon that was parked there,by the Bluewater Bridge.I guess that I was quite hungry, ๐Ÿ˜‹ lol ๐Ÿ˜‚,after my scenic drive along Lake Huron,from Port Franks to Pt. Edward,to check out 3 boat rampโ€™s along the way,about their condition & the water level,etc., to decide on where I will be launching my boat from,for the upcoming,Bluewater Anglers 47th Salmon Derby. I definitely did need to eat something,before I attended the Bluewater Anglers Club Annual Meeting,at 7:30 p.m. last night in Pt. Edward. I still have a Channel 68 sticker for you @Fishermanpaul from almost meeting up with you last February/March 2023,during the walleye fishing season on the Thames River. Today,I will be putting my 4 marine batteries back in my boat,and Tight lines & See you in the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 97C4E3CF-20D5-44BB-B0E5-5EC20762ED35.jpeg
    97C4E3CF-20D5-44BB-B0E5-5EC20762ED35.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 42
  • B5371896-764B-4441-8073-A51EB4CA0A12.jpeg
    B5371896-764B-4441-8073-A51EB4CA0A12.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 9BB5D63C-1F03-4A04-A4AB-08858F56E183.jpeg
    9BB5D63C-1F03-4A04-A4AB-08858F56E183.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 776338CC-1B84-4DAC-9E3A-94D7955B5C5F.jpeg
    776338CC-1B84-4DAC-9E3A-94D7955B5C5F.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 844627BD-B404-4BD9-9B17-E8E479B7D2D2.jpeg
    844627BD-B404-4BD9-9B17-E8E479B7D2D2.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 41
A Excellent report there @Fishermanpaul !! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š I should have brought down my fishing pole,( I usually do),with me yesterday there to fish along the St.Clair River, from shore,but I was pushing for time,and I was too busy filling my face instead with pulled pork,cheese curds,and gravy,plus a sausage on a bun,at a Chip wagon that was parked there,by the Bluewater Bridge.I guess that I was quite hungry, ๐Ÿ˜‹ lol ๐Ÿ˜‚,after my scenic drive along Lake Huron,from Port Franks to Pt. Edward,to check out 3 boat rampโ€™s along the way,about their condition & the water level,etc., to decide on where I will be launching my boat from,for the upcoming,Bluewater Anglers 47th Salmon Derby. I definitely did need to eat something,before I attended the Bluewater Anglers Club Annual Meeting,at 7:30 p.m. last night in Pt. Edward. I still have a Channel 68 sticker for you @Fishermanpaul from almost meeting up with you last February/March 2023,during the walleye fishing season on the Thames River. Today,I will be putting my 4 marine batteries back in my boat,and Tight lines & See you in the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
Looks like an awesome meal... I might have to stop by that food truck sometime! Also looking forward to meeting up with you sometime and getting that sticker!... Let me know if you're ever going to be out that way! I think I may go back tomorrow and see if I can have some luck again, either that or try a new port and go out on the lake trolling, as tomorrow looks like a nice calm day.

Hope that putting the batteries back in the boat went smoothly, tight lines!!

Where did you put it all. I've met ya, and compared to me and "the beast" (my belly) there ain't much to ya Red. ;):ROFLMAO:
lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ @Trevor M ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ & thanks for your comment about there ainโ€™t much to me,and if my wife would only agree on what you had written!! According to her, I am overweight,and my family doctor things so as well,and he wants me down to 185 lbs. compared to my 205 lbs., that I am at this moment. If there is good food around like I had just eaten a couple of dayโ€™s ago from that Chip wagon, I will find room for that food!! lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
Looks like an awesome meal... I might have to stop by that food truck sometime! Also looking forward to meeting up with you sometime and getting that sticker!... Let me know if you're ever going to be out that way! I think I may go back tomorrow and see if I can have some luck again, either that or try a new port and go out on the lake trolling, as tomorrow looks like a nice calm day.

Hope that putting the batteries back in the boat went smoothly, tight lines!!
sounds great there @Fishermanpaul ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ about meeting up with you,and you wonโ€™t be disappointed by ordering food from that Chip truck there as well,and they have a lot of different options of food to choose from off their menu. The 4 marine batteries went into my boat yesterday,and today I will run both of my outboard motors in our driveway,by using the muffs of course,that will be attached to our garden hose. As of now,the next time that I am planning on going down that way in the Pt. Edward area is,to hopefully to fish the Bluewaters Anglers Club Spring Derby on April 22/23. This Club Spring Derby is open to the public as well,and it cost $10 to enter it,if you are not a member of the Bluewater Anglers. There is more information to anyone that could be interested ti fish this Derby on their website. I will contact you a couple of days ahead of time @Fishermanpaul to let you know if I will be in the area,and I will bring a Channel 68 sticker for you, and to any other members that I might meet up with from @stomp website,wherever I will be fishing. Tight lines my friend & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 8D66CFF4-34E8-472B-A5E9-D02EF2A35385.jpeg
    8D66CFF4-34E8-472B-A5E9-D02EF2A35385.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 9262DB32-F1C8-49D5-A0CA-509C987BAA5D.jpeg
    9262DB32-F1C8-49D5-A0CA-509C987BAA5D.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A7218416-93EC-41BA-92AD-B23D5B0371A3.jpeg
    A7218416-93EC-41BA-92AD-B23D5B0371A3.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E9024368-0D0F-45F9-8C20-B4058AC33557.jpeg
    E9024368-0D0F-45F9-8C20-B4058AC33557.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 7
lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ @Trevor M ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ & thanks for your comment about there ainโ€™t much to me,and if my wife would only agree on what you had written!! According to her, I am overweight,and my family doctor things so as well,and he wants me down to 185 lbs. compared to my 205 lbs., that I am at this moment. If there is good food around like I had just eaten a couple of dayโ€™s ago from that Chip wagon, I will find room for that food!! lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

sounds great there @Fishermanpaul ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ about meeting up with you,and you wonโ€™t be disappointed by ordering food from that Chip truck there as well,and they have a lot of different options of food to choose from off their menu. The 4 marine batteries went into my boat yesterday,and today I will run both of my outboard motors in our driveway,by using the muffs of course,that will be attached to our garden hose. As of now,the next time that I am planning on going down that way in the Pt. Edward area is,to hopefully to fish the Bluewaters Anglers Club Spring Derby on April 22/23. This Club Spring Derby is open to the public as well,and it cost $10 to enter it,if you are not a member of the Bluewater Anglers. There is more information to anyone that could be interested ti fish this Derby on their website. I will contact you a couple of days ahead of time @Fishermanpaul to let you know if I will be in the area,and I will bring a Channel 68 sticker for you, and to any other members that I might meet up with from @stomp website,wherever I will be fishing. Tight lines my friend & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
I'm debating on trying to salmon derby, but I'm still inexperienced so I don't know if I want to spend the money this year... but I love the idea of a competition so eventually I will. Forsure let me know when you get out fishing down there next, I might be out as well.. its a short enough drive from my house so ill be there quite a bit over the next couple months.

Fished Detroit river yesterday and water temp was well into the 40's 50-60 walleye boated with three over 26 inches.
Way warmer than the St. Clair for sure! I know a buddy went down there last weekend and caught a bunch including a 29 incher - 9 pounds or so... its for sure on fire right now... also 2.5 times further than the St. Clair from me :( I do want to make the trip once this spring down there though!

Oh hell, you can tell your wife from me Red, that my wife has been calling me "fat, hairy, and sexy" for as long as I can remember. She's right on the "fat and hairy" but I usually question her about the "sexy" cuz I don't think I iz sexy.

Last time I stepped on the scale, it grunted at me and with a very labored voice that wasn't so polite asked me to get the F off before I killed it. My doctors have been telling me for years that my "ideal" weight for my height is 160lbs. They tell me, that's what I should be aspiring to achieve with any weight loss goals. I laugh almost hysterically at them every time and remind them, I haven't been under 200lbs since I was 20. I haven't been under 220lbs (most of it muscle at that time since I was in a very physically demanding job and far more active than I can be now) since I was 25.

Ain't no way I'm getting down to 160lbs unless I'm VERY ill. If I can get back to the 220lbs I was 9 years ago, I'll be happy, and they should be as well. I was more than half way there last fall, but then hibernation and Christmas happened and I gained a bit of it back, but nowhere near as much as I'd lost to that point, so I'm hoping with the arrival of the nice weather, I'll be able to start losing weight again.

I'm debating on trying to salmon derby, but I'm still inexperienced so I don't know if I want to spend the money this year... but I love the idea of a competition so eventually I will. Forsure let me know when you get out fishing down there next, I might be out as well.. its a short enough drive from my house so ill be there quite a bit over the next couple months.
Well fishermanpaul.....I was inexperienced in 2006 joined the Great Salmon Hunt on Lake Ontario, fished out of Whitby Harbour in 80 feet of water,pulled out a 39 LB. King.....Won the derby and $40,000.00 in prizes. So I say go for it..... ๐ŸŸ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Well fishermanpaul.....I was inexperienced in 2006 joined the Great Salmon Hunt on Lake Ontario, fished out of Whitby Harbour in 80 feet of water,pulled out a 39 LB. King.....Won the derby and $40,000.00 in prizes. So I say go for it..... ๐ŸŸ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š
Ahaha I love it!! I guess you canโ€™t catch them if you donโ€™t try right! Thatโ€™s honestly insane though, can only imagine the feeling of winning something like that! A 39 pound king ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ

Went out again on Friday from Sarnia and had some more luck with my dad trolling for salmon for a bit then we picked up my cousin and did some jigging ๐Ÿค™๐Ÿผ

Who knows maybe Iโ€™ll just go into the derby as an excuse to get out more ahah, and maybe try some new techniques to target the bigger fish.

Attachments

• 88A7063B-1423-4B33-8DF3-7D6C2AD72370.jpeg
    88A7063B-1423-4B33-8DF3-7D6C2AD72370.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DF458D1D-6AC8-43F0-9A7A-D4C13D98C9DD.jpeg
    DF458D1D-6AC8-43F0-9A7A-D4C13D98C9DD.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 56
Ahaha I love it!! I guess you canโ€™t catch them if you donโ€™t try right! Thatโ€™s honestly insane though, can only imagine the feeling of winning something like that! A 39 pound king ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ
You likely would not catch a 39 pound king in Lake Huron @Fishermanpaul like they catch in Lake Ontario,but up to around a 20 lb. salmon in Lake Huron,should win you first place ๐Ÿฅ‡,and $5,000, ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐Ÿ’ฐ,in the 47th Bluewater Salmon Derby this year.( April 28โ€“May 7/23 ). Good Luck if you enter,and Tight lines & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฅ‡ ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 4F0EDBA6-04F4-47F2-9E35-302B5502979F.jpeg
    4F0EDBA6-04F4-47F2-9E35-302B5502979F.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You likely would not catch a 39 pound king in Lake Huron @Fishermanpaul like they catch in Lake Ontario,but up to around a 20 lb. salmon in Lake Huron,should win you first place ๐Ÿฅ‡,and $5,000, ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐Ÿ’ฐ,in the 47th Bluewater Salmon Derby this year.( April 28โ€“May 7/23 ). Good Luck if you enter,and Tight lines & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฅ‡ ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
Certainly a lot smaller in the Huron, even seems to be smaller fish in the lower half of Huron compared to up in Owen Sound etc.

Also good luck to you as well!

Went out again on Friday from Sarnia and had some more luck with my dad trolling for salmon for a bit then we picked up my cousin and did some jigging ๐Ÿค™๐Ÿผ

Who knows maybe Iโ€™ll just go into the derby as an excuse to get out more ahah, and maybe try some new techniques to target the bigger fish.
Excellent photoโ€™s,and definitely โ€œThumbs way UP!!โ€ ( in your photoโ€™s),@Fishermanpaul to you & your dad & your cousin,all the way!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ Tight lines to you All,the rest of the way! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

There is nothing like that feeling on your rod......:sneaky:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks