Flooded Lead-Acid Trolling Motor Batteries

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
There's been a lot of discussion about lithium vs flooded batteries used for our tolling motors. I know about the advantages of lithium's longer life, charge lasting longer and 1/2 the weight etc. but is the cost worth it? This will be season 5 for my dual Interstate SRM31 batteries used for my 24 volt MotorGuide that still hold a full charge so wondering how others have fared. I use it mostly for steering while trolling with the main motor and have on several occasions run it completely dead but charged them as soon as I got home with no issues. I also leave them in the boat that's always in the garage all winter long on a smart charger and again with no issues. Like to hear your experiences good or bad.

IMG_1637.JPG

Last edited:
For the cost, the benefit just isn't there for me yet. It will be, probably 5 or so years down the road. My boat is already heavy, so what's a few extra pounds. I find that I kill a lot less batteries on the bowmount since I went to a 24 volt system. On my old boat that was a 16 footer, I went through a deep cycle every other year on bowmount because I would come in every trip with the battery completely dead. They where totally clapped out by the end of the second season at best. I don't have the same problem with the bigger motor, even though my boat is a lot bigger.

I think this year will have a few new chemistries coming out. Carbon/carbon and and solid state batteries.

I rep a battery company and I get to see a year or 2 ahead. Me thinks carbon/carbon batteries may be the big thing but who knows..

Seems like you have good maintenance/storage, adequate capacity to avoid fully discharging during a day of fishing and a quality charger… all leading to good lifespan.

That’s working well for you so unless you want the lighter weight or more performance from the same physical size, why change?

I had 2 group 27 running out of charge on Xi5 after about 12-16 hrs then I added alternator charger and this solved that problem. My trolling batteries are at the bow. I dont see the advantage of having less weight there, will be more difficult to get on plane probably with the lithiums ;)

You should get 5 years out of a battery so long as it's maintained. Deep cycle batteries are designed for long slow discharges as opposed to a regular battery which is made to pack a wallop (CCA cold cranking amps) to start your engine. Constant draining of a battery until it's dead stresses the guts inside them and will reduce the life drastically, never ever drain it completely ! From what I know about lithium batteries once you set the charge rate in the first few cycles it's just maintaining it afterwards. By charge rate I mean you charge it completely then discharge completely and do this the first 3 cycles as lithium batteries have a memory and need to be programed in the beginning or so I've been told. From what little I've read about those new carbon batteries is they will make lead acid type obsolete.

I had 2 group 27 running out of charge on Xi5 after about 12-16 hrs then I added alternator charger and this solved that problem. My trolling batteries are at the bow. I dont see the advantage of having less weight there, will be more difficult to get on plane probably with the lithiums ;)
Wow! I wish I got that much time on my group 31 batteries. I can't get more than 5 hours run time using my Xi3 just for steering while trolling before they are exhausted. It doesn't happen very often as most times we don't need more than 2 hours to limit, except on those extremely slow days especially early in the season.

Wave runner is your Xi3 shaking alot? Maybe you run it close to the max throttle? 5 hrs is kinda short. Cant belive they wont make a remote with a display like MK

Wave runner is your Xi3 shaking alot? Maybe you run it close to the max throttle? 5 hrs is kinda short. Cant belive they wont make a remote with a display like MK
No it never shakes and runs great just not long enough considering using 2 group 31 batteries. Where I bought the boat new they installed the wiring and plug for the trolling motor at that time but I don't know if it's even marine grade 8 AWG wire or if it's heat and water resistant. I run the motor about 1/3 speed but when the water gets rough I have to increase to 2/3 to 3/4 to maintain steering control.

No it never shakes and runs great just not long enough considering using 2 group 31 batteries. Where I bought the boat new they installed the wiring and plug for the trolling motor at that time but I don't know if it's even marine grade 8 AWG wire or if it's heat and water resistant. I run the motor about 1/3 speed but when the water gets rough I have to increase to 2/3 to 3/4 to maintain steering control.
I only go to Erie on calmer days, maybe thats the difference. After installing the alternator charger I have no idea how long they will run on full charge cause it charges them up constantly on the water. I got a 3 bank model so the house battery is charged too.

My trolling batteries are at the bow. I dont see the advantage of having less weight there, will be more difficult to get on plane probably with the lithiums ;)
This really depends on the hull. I have mine up front too and I think having a 200lbs lighter bow would allow me to plane out at lower speed and pickup speed at the high end.

For the expense though I'm not willing to find out. I'd need 36v.

I have exact same issue but with xi5! I though i was going crazy, this year it depletes them even faster.

Think ill go ahead and order two 100ah lifepo4s, they are 400$ ea on amazon if you watch for discounts and coupons from amazon

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks