Off Topic Any 68 members planning on going in the Bluewater Salmon Derby?

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am thinking about it but only if the Port Franks harbour is deep enough to get your boat out.

I was thinking of it...never been in a derby before. I understand that the fish are in closer to shore this time of year, so maybe taking the fishing kayak out on a calm day would be fun.:cool:

Oh and in case the launch at Port Franks is not accessible, I understand the launch at Highland Glen Conservation Area was repaired and opened last summer.

There also appears to be a launch/marina at "Cedar Cove"

I have not used either launch so I have no further details as to whether they are private or open to the public...do your own research.

Last edited:
Hopefully Captain Pete (rastam4n) can chime in with current info and conditions as he charters out of Port Franks

Hopefully Captain Pete (rastam4n) can chime in with current info and conditions as he charters out of Port Franks
@rastam4n would be a great help indeed @Wilker Tim for an update on the Port Franks current info and condition,especially the Ausable Rivermouth area,where dredging is always a necessity each spring,due to the shifting sand,etc. from over the Winter monthโ€™s into Spring.

I will be checking out some of the boat rampโ€™s next week along the Lake Huron shoreline,while I am eventually heading down to Pt.Edward from the Grand Bend area,to do some trout & coho fishing from off the riverbank around the Bluewater Bridge,and Sarnia Bay as well. Itโ€™s good to know ahead of time,before the 47th Annual Salmon Derby which starts on April 28 - May 7,2023,what the Lake Huron water level is like,and also the condition of the boat rampโ€™s are like in the area,therefore,I like to โ€œscoutโ€ the conditions ahead of time,before I tow my boat to a boat ramp. I also received recently as well,my Winter 2023 Bluewater Anglerโ€™s Member Newsletter,and itโ€™s good to know that the Highland Glen Boat Ramp will be open this spring for the Salmon Derby,2023 & for the boating season as well,( see photo),for that boat ramp was closed several years ago due to storm damage. The Port Franks boat ramp is getting way too crowded for my liking at least anyways,so therefore,I am looking forward to be using the,Highland Glen Boat Ramp instead,for the 47th Salmon Derby,2023. Tight lines to All,and See you on the water! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Attachments

• D1B0A641-817F-4576-90AB-71FD3903843F.jpeg
    D1B0A641-817F-4576-90AB-71FD3903843F.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 33
  • 05FA8134-53FB-4A95-B8E9-0547F49B8185.jpeg
    05FA8134-53FB-4A95-B8E9-0547F49B8185.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 33
I was thinking of it...never been in a derby before. I understand that the fish are in closer to shore this time of year, so maybe taking the fishing kayak out on a calm day would be fun.:cool:

Oh and in case the launch at Port Franks is not accessible, I understand the launch at Highland Glen Conservation Area was repaired and opened last summer.

There also appears to be a launch/marina at "Cedar Cove"

I have not used either launch so I have no further details as to whether they are private or open to the public...do your own research.
I prefer derbies over a tournament any day @TonyMo only because they run for 10 dayโ€™s such as this Salmon Derby has been doing over the yearโ€™s,as an example. Derbies you may also fish solo as well if you like,and also there are 10 dayโ€™s to choose from for favourable weather conditions. Also as well,you may start fishing at anytime,such as very early,or later in the day,itโ€™s your choice. These are only my opinions,because you have said that you have never fished in a derby before,and you are right,the fish will be closer to shore,and a good place to start,would be around a rivermouth,such as the Ausable Rivermouth at Port Franks,where the warm river temperatures enter the much colder Lake Huron temperature,which will attract,Coho,Rainbows,Browns etc. Tight Lines,Be Safe & good luck fishing in a Derby for you,for the first time.๐Ÿ›ถ๐ŸŽฃ ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

I am thinking about it but only if the Port Franks harbour is deep enough to get your boat out.
I will be fishing it again @scrimmy such like in all the past yearโ€™s,before the pandemic ๐Ÿ˜ท. I am not sure yet on where I will be launching my boat from,but I will be โ€œscouting โ€œ some boat rampโ€™s next week,from Grand Bend to Pt.Edward,and then I will decide from there,where I will be launching from,before the Bluewater Anglers 47th Salmon Derby starts from April 28 to May 7,2023. I am proud to be a member of the Bluewater Anglers for many yearโ€™s now,and what other Fishing Club stocks fish in Lake Huron & the St.Clair River like the Bluewater Anglers do? Lots of fish to be caught according to the stockings that this Club has done over the yearโ€™s,and Tight Lines & Fish ON!! to you @scrimmy and to whoever else will be fishing the 10 day 47th Salmon Derby. See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 2E54B141-3DD1-4346-B4EF-D51C46E4F599.jpeg
    2E54B141-3DD1-4346-B4EF-D51C46E4F599.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 18
  • CE184D4B-0A75-44A8-86C7-C09F7BDC78BA.jpeg
    CE184D4B-0A75-44A8-86C7-C09F7BDC78BA.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 532F24ED-AA64-4AC2-A57E-713495F802CF.jpeg
    532F24ED-AA64-4AC2-A57E-713495F802CF.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 16
The river mouth was a constant battle last year, to the point where concerned boaters have formed a committee to advise with council to resolve the issues.
Anyhow, before I get too far into this, let's define the terms
Dredging, this is what is done with an excavator, barges and dump trucks
Prop washing, this is what is done with specialized boats at the river mouth, the debris (mostly sand) is taken out and away from the river mouth simply by using the current with the help of a boat that is held stationary with pilings.

We are allowed to start prop washing really any time, but the contract is for 6 months, so it is expected weather permitting... they will start prop washing the week before the derby starts. Once there is a 6' passable channel, they will put the markers out. Charlie (the owner of the company that runs the Northside) has assured me the river mouth will be ready for the derby...(weather permitting)
I will likely already have a map of the "natural" channel, which I will share as a use at your own risk. I go out every year to take depth reading with a pole till I can link a path over the sandbars

This is only part of the solution though as the river from the mouth back to the conservation area "Port Frank's Marina" needs to be dredged, unfortunately this cannot be started until the 1st week of May provide permits are given in a timely manner. Unfortunately, there are new laws in place for 2023 which pertains to removing contaminated soil and trucking it away. So there is a large unknown about what we will be allowed to do and the extent of dredging needed.

From my view from the shore it looks like there are several large trees that are stuck on the river bed in front of 7winds and the PFYC, with the low water levels and the heavy rain lately more debris has been washed down the river and become entangled with these large trees, I would imagine the silt is also collecting around these large trees.
I am sure I will find a way around these obstacles, but there are a lot of unknowns, and this is being compounded by lower water levels.
Christine's remains to be a viable option, the ramp is clean, and the docks are being lowered this week. So as long as the mouth is good to go, we will as well.

You can get updates here https://www.facebook.com/groups/navigatorsoftheportfranksrivermouth

I am gonna be fishing it and will probably launch outta Kettle Point at R&R marina

Thanks for the update and for your time @rastam4n ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ it is very much appreciated by myself,and likely for many other boaterโ€™s as well. Hereโ€™s hoping that all will work out well,such as it has been in previous yearโ€™s,for the boat ramp & the boat channel & also the Ausable Rivermouth dredging. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Last edited:
The river mouth was a constant battle last year, to the point where concerned boaters have formed a committee to advise with council to resolve the issues.
Anyhow, before I get too far into this, let's define the terms
Dredging, this is what is done with an excavator, barges and dump trucks
Prop washing, this is what is done with specialized boats at the river mouth, the debris (mostly sand) is taken out and away from the river mouth simply by using the current with the help of a boat that is held stationary with pilings.

We are allowed to start prop washing really any time, but the contract is for 6 months, so it is expected weather permitting... they will start prop washing the week before the derby starts. Once there is a 6' passable channel, they will put the markers out. Charlie (the owner of the company that runs the Northside) has assured me the river mouth will be ready for the derby...(weather permitting)
I will likely already have a map of the "natural" channel, which I will share as a use at your own risk. I go out every year to take depth reading with a pole till I can link a path over the sandbars

This is only part of the solution though as the river from the mouth back to the conservation area "Port Frank's Marina" needs to be dredged, unfortunately this cannot be started until the 1st week of May provide permits are given in a timely manner. Unfortunately, there are new laws in place for 2023 which pertains to removing contaminated soil and trucking it away. So there is a large unknown about what we will be allowed to do and the extent of dredging needed.

From my view from the shore it looks like there are several large trees that are stuck on the river bed in front of 7winds and the PFYC, with the low water levels and the heavy rain lately more debris has been washed down the river and become entangled with these large trees, I would imagine the silt is also collecting around these large trees.
I am sure I will find a way around these obstacles, but there are a lot of unknowns, and this is being compounded by lower water levels.
Christine's remains to be a viable option, the ramp is clean, and the docks are being lowered this week. So as long as the mouth is good to go, we will as well.

You can get updates here https://www.facebook.com/groups/navigatorsoftheportfranksrivermouth
I am not on Facebook,but I will get my information through word of mouth. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

I am gonna be fishing it and will probably launch outta Kettle Point at R&R marina
A great choice @rcfire77 launching outta Kettle Point at R&R marina! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Lots of parking there,and the boat ramp is fairly steep,to float any boat size faster!! See you on the water! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Looks like I will either be using Highland Glen and or Grand Bend to launch the Legend. I Have fished this Derby many, many times both with my charter boat as well as by myself for fun. A lot of my clients as well as myself have won many prizes over the years but have not been in the Derby since well before the Pandemic hit us. I will have to ask my friend as well as my Optometrist Rob Sharpe (Grand Bend Fishing Charters) how the Grand Bend Ramp is.

Looks like I will either be using Highland Glen and or Grand Bend to launch the Legend. I Have fished this Derby many, many times both with my charter boat as well as by myself for fun. A lot of my clients as well as myself have won many prizes over the years but have not been in the Derby since well before the Pandemic hit us. I will have to ask my friend as well as my Optometrist Rob Sharpe (Grand Bend Fishing Charters) how the Grand Bend Ramp is.
@scrimmy I have never personally used the Grand Bend Boat Ramp before,but I know some anglerโ€™s that have over the yearโ€™s,and there never seems to be an issue about low water and not as many anglerโ€™s there,(like some other boat rampโ€™s),for what I have been hearing from them. The fishing off Grand Bend can be fantastic as well,( nice contour lines,& some shoals off Grand Bend-photo), to catch some salmon,trout,etc.,according to some friends that have fished in that area. I might also consider using this Grand Bend ramp also as an alternative during the 47th Salmon Derby. Tight lines & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• E490990F-3DE6-4BB6-A00F-B76526E61452.jpeg
    E490990F-3DE6-4BB6-A00F-B76526E61452.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 32
Red I have used the Bend many times but always head the boat to Kettle Point to fish Salmon in the spring.

Red I have used the Bend many times but always head the boat to Kettle Point to fish Salmon in the spring.
Good to know @scrimmy ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ and we will need to keep in touch if you like,during the Salmon Derby. Text me anytime,( I will personal message you my cell phone number),or call me from your VHF radio while we are fishing out on Lake Huron salmon fishing. My boat handle is: Red Hering Tight Lines & a first place ๐Ÿฅ‡ $5,000 ๐Ÿ’ฐSalmon ON!! to one of us!! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 55FD8A12-F425-4B85-B385-4080C60EC009.jpeg
    55FD8A12-F425-4B85-B385-4080C60EC009.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 4
Excellent info thanks Peter. We will be fishing derby again this year. Hoping to catch the big one
Good luck @gibby123 to you and your son,etc., to this years Salmon Derby. Where will you spend your $5,000?? ๐Ÿค” lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ We should keep in touch & whatโ€™s your boat handle? PM if you like,and I could give you my cell number as well. Tight lines & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck @gibby123 to you and your son,etc., to this years Salmon Derby. Where will you spend your $5,000?? ๐Ÿค” lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ We should keep in touch & whatโ€™s your boat handle? PM if you like,and I could give you my cell number as well. Tight lines & See you on the water. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
Hey all the best to you Ambassador Red. Handle on water is Striper. Will message you my cell Supposed to Have a slip at pt franks for Derby.

Popped down to highland glen the other day, ramp looks good, break walls are all fixed up and the parking lot is freshly graded with some new gravel. Hoping to get out for some pre derby fishing in the next week or two and see how things are.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks