Fishing Report fishing yesterday tons of fishin action..the species...ya suprise..

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Back out for another big trip on the Favo with Jose & Edwin..

Conditions were good..the water well it was that green low vis..so ya..We got out 7 rod spread setup at the 30 mile mark..we got 3 quick dorado bites..they were picky short strikes missing the hookups

Anyway I will get to it ..north 2 plus miles hundreds of birds fishing diving the surface on the bait and the aggresive fish boiling feeding breaking the top...just the one boat hooked up infront of us..1 big dorado and landed
we got to the birds and the fish activity ..from trolling chasing the action with the 7 rod spread and throwing live bait off the side and no dorado hookups.. it was my idea to switch over and we setup quick.. 3 live baits goggle eye circle hook slow trolled ended up hooking up with over a dozen Jack Crevilles..we had one triple hookup just the once..
Jose casting a small jig off the side and hooking up as well..

And Edwin hooked up early too with a giant fish taking the drag and got way way back handing me the rod and still going..I instantly felt total attitude 60 lb braid.. tight..this fish was super big & smart and fought so different an so hard.. I am not kidding I finally got it stopped and violent head shakes.. that fish and wasted no time and broke me off... Edwin was wtf and was upset ..Edwin quotes 100lb test leader..but the fish did a number frayed mono.. ya look at the leader..ahhh the agony I felt defeated..that fish was something special..a cheater and rarely I never break off.. I won't forget that anytime soon....my last break off was a big badass black marlin costa rica I checked my passport that was March 2019..I did get the best of him..on a sailfish rod...

oh ya, I personally got some satisfaction..we all look with amazement the big dorsal fin of a big shark 50 feet starboard side spins around and takes out a big jack creville...

well after all our live baits were a goner..ya the live well got cleaned out with the crevellies..we got back on the troll and hooked up with a couple more..the dorados green yellow did show an appearance a few right at the boat..

Anyway we released everyone..and the word on the radio ...was Toro Toro Toro aka jack creville..omg..lol..Edwin was teasing me calling out for another one...they did hammer are live baits.. hit like a freight train catapult off the outriggers ..a couple were oustanding to try and land on the small we had..overall I will rate them almost a 7 for sport.. same family..the big amberjacks are kickass fighters..and theres a fish called the GTs aka Giant trevelly..those are screamers..

I had mahi mahi for dinner last 2 supers and having marlin tonight..its central time..nice

heres a few photos..I can tell ya my first time to Puerto Vallarta 32 years ago..I hooked up with plenty of Toro & dorados & sailfish the south side deep Banderas Bay.
.March 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 804.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 913.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 911.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 829.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 904.jpg

while i am at it here..might as well share my 2nd last trip out on the Favo with Jose & Edwin... heres the 2 marlin & double header mahi mahi photos..great action..the take on the nicer size marlin was an official screamer..a mile of line out..
and tasty as well..the 3 of us spoke highly of the loin to be very good quality eating...theres the goggle eye bait we enticed that last fish..there so intelligent for a noon hour marlin... back at the marina by 2 pm central..
not sure if you notice, I will say we have fun out there..ya its a team effort from clearing the spread to super duper boat control..

March 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 900.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 447.jpg.March 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 468.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 415.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 410.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 446.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 460.jpgMarch 20, 2023 super hot Creville action 914.jpg

I envious for a number of reasons, but in a "good for you @mick " way.

Went to a long time favourite seafood restaurant a couple of weeks back looking for a meal of blackened Mahi Mahi or Marlin/Swordfish.

No where to be found on the menu, the specials board or in conversation with the waitress.

I settled on a blackened Grouper sandwich but I had visions of eating something very different.

I could have had Salmon or "Whitefish"(Pollock) but when I asked where they were catching them in the area, there was only silence.

Won't be back. 🌻

Buenos días amigos gracias por el regreso

Just a suggestion
@hvyhaul, since you are one of the top chefs here on Stomps, I would look for and find a seafood/Fish market in your area,
You can look online and should be able to find a good variety of saltwater fishes for home cooking and some offer meals already to your order for pickup.
I can say Florida use to have endless choices of super delicious seafood and fish restaurants, And fresh fish seafood on sale at the grocery stores.
My parents did live in Clearwater St. Petes Largo Florida for years, My dad loved ordering blackened Mahi Mahi, excellent, at Billies with the outdoor picnic tables, and you don't have to be a redneck to enjoy a dining expereince like that, but the food was so good, used to be little bit of a lineup to get a table, but the fish was super good, but its way to far to drive for a fish dinner..

I was actually hunting around online a couple weeks ago up your way and found a wholesale supplier for flash frozen anchovies, its one of the main ingredients cooking my homestyle tomato sauce, I did'nt even get a reply back..lol..my interpretation translation i guess they don't sell retail...there is other sources, especially if i am willing to order it in, or drive and pick it. thats on the 2 do list.

Wow @mick I am pretty certain you and I are talking about the same restaurant in Indian Rocks Beach.

I might follow up on your suggestion and buy a few portions locally and see if there's something other than brisket I can make edible.

Love your pics, hate seeing from here. LOL 🌻

Attention Anglers, I gotta share this..its a suprise species all right..oh ya i am not kidding..

Just to share, My before and after experience involving of an attraction to a now an abundant and thriving fish species that has recently hit the sport fishing community fishermen like a storm, it is just incredible and unbelivable, specifically the captains & deckhands in Cabo San lucas.. and to a greater degree off Puerto Vallarta, I haven't seen anything like it..Targeting this species in both locations and Puerto Vallarta has had big catches in a couple of specific locations, No not me absolutely not, I will say with my fishing reservation I booked new moon December 23 2023 On the Hobby, I did have to catch a few for the Captain, but then forced to loop around 2 more times..I had about enough. I spoke up on the first loop moving on to fish marlin,
so there are 3 photos of 1, and landed 3 and close up of this big excitement species that is now thriving & abundant with attention/ attraction by many..
and just for the record we did go on and fish marlin after, and I was so fortunate to catch this beauty marlin by 1:30 pm, 1 hour incredible fight 3x way out and back.. and my biggest marlin of the trip.
Can you guys see the size of girth on this marlin or what?, well it took the 3 of us to pull it up and over..Captain did his job with best boat control in and out of gear, and said you got a trophy there..

Fish identification quiz suprise species..what is the name of this abundant and thriving fish species? that are now targeted by the fishing community

Check it out and tell me what is, I had to learn, I had no choice ...lol

2023 february 10 Puerto Vallarta 1820.jpg2023 february 10 Puerto Vallarta 1763.jpg2023 february 10 Puerto Vallarta 2234.jpg2023 february 13 Arbnb issues 2374.jpg20221223_134824.jpg20221223_134859.jpg

2023 february 13 Arbnb issues 2373.jpg

Size matters ...what photo if any gives this marlin the credit it deserves..sure fought like one..

Here is a decent size one caught with PV Jonny Fishing Rebels, the out of town angler posted on trip advisor
2023 february 17 problems Arbnb 002.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @hvyhaul thanks for liking the photos.. Yes Indian rocks it could be, sorry but I guess I am still hardwired fishing..lol..so I chartered boats off Indianrocks.. we fished the Florida Kingfish aka king mackerel...slow trolling live bait..ya the bait we caught fresh by boat with a large throw net at first light and then onto the fishing

I won't forget that kingfish action ever..steel cable leaders and super sharp trebles ..those kings go ballistic..and my mother cooked them up cooked 3 different methods one sitting i remember..oh ya good..

grouper fishing was good to..party boats off tarpon springs & Johns Pass & Clearwater marina..I will say I loved fishing and catching kingfish...they are king in my books fishing florida..easter time April Indian Rocks..

Anyway I am scheduled to fly my return to Toronto tomorrow afternoon with Westjet, I am concerned with the Saturday weather advisory Statement I got to my phone..

Toronto Pearson International Airport..
Scheduled arrival time is Saturday 8:33 pm EST terminal 3 Toronto Pearson..

I am going to rest my nerves today, eat & rest..my packing was done yesterday,

If it is an all out flight cancelation the lady here said I can spend the night here, isn't that nice..omg

Every morcel of something good tomorrow I will take in a NY minute..

Westjet sent me an email wednesday "We are here to make you "Travel Ready"

Last edited:
Fish identification quiz suprise species..what is the name of this abundant and thriving fish species? that are now targeted by the fishing community

Check it out and tell me what is, I had to learn, I had no choice ...lol

Fish species.... Striped Bonito?

yes sir @hvyhaul you got the identification species right on.. the "Bonito"

and not to think we have caught a skipjack tuna,

It is said the bonito species identification details is the strips are across the top half horizontally and they display teeth..table fare is the darker flesh but desired an aquired taste ..the locals are loading up with impressive catches off PV and with less pressure on dorado & marlin stocks that are holding well.. Its a good thing for sport fishermen...

my personal catch game fish numbers from start to finish total 10 trips is 11 marlin & 29 mahi mahi very happy with that, and releasing a few to swim another day, I lost a couple memorable fish, thats just a couple..lol.. I hope to be back again after I bench press my 180 in the late fall..

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the replys guys..

its nice to be south for the winter, Nov 13 to March 25, its also nice to sleep in my own bed and calling it home..

alot to catch up on here..house is cleaned up inside & out..taxes are done, bills are paid, car & truck are back running..

trout season ..needs the rain dance..

Jose sent me this fish photo caught the day I left..so here is the mystery fish?

can you guys tell me the species please,

2023 april7 049.jpg

Thanks alot for the replys guys..

its nice to be south for the winter, Nov 13 to March 25, its also nice to sleep in my own bed and calling it home..

alot to catch up on here..house is cleaned up inside & out..taxes are done, bills are paid, car & truck are back running..

trout season ..needs the rain dance..

Jose sent me this fish photo caught the day I left..so here is the mystery fish?

can you guys tell me the species please,

View attachment 72129
Fine example of the Common Snook @mick

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks