Minnkota Terrova

I have the motorguide xi5 36 volt and it has about the same issues as jerk bait: has with his. Mine has had issues from day one which were record by Hastings starter in Hagersville he put in a new circuit board and it was good for a while then started to act up again. So I called Motorguide directly and told them my problem and the guy said yes I see on your records you've had problems with it and he said sorry your warranty is up on it. I said even though the problem had started from day one your aren't going to do anything for me and he said sorry the warranty is over. So I said some nice things to him about there service and the Motorguide JUNK. So you know what I think about Motorguide Shit.
Also my foot control went for a shit. The foot control wouldn't shut when not using it. It just eats the batteries up but you can fix it if you take the foot control apart and put an on off switch in the red wire and drill a hole in the side of the foot control for the switch. Motorguide was aware of this problem also but nothing was done about it. Piece of shit

4, 5 and 6hp 4st are the same motor / block / weight so for a couple hundred more I'd go with the 6hp if your looking at the 4. You'll never hear anyone complain that they wish they had less HP.

I have been thinking that. 4hp new is quite a bit cheaper also

@SonsOfPerchin... I have a MotorGuide Xi3 24 volt 70 lb. thrust that will push my 16.7 ft. Sylvan 3 mph at full power on flat water. I doubt if it would run for more than a couple of hours at full tilt though and I use 2 large group 31 Interstate batteries. Spot lock works perfectly holding me on spot even in wavy conditions and have not used my anchor in years. I use it mostly for steering when trolling. When the water is fairly flat it will last about 8 hours at 1/3 power when used solely for steering along with the main motor doing the trolling But that time gets cut in half in 2 foot waves when I need 2/3 to 3/4 power to maintain steering control. I don't think that even a 36 volt motor will run anywhere near as long as you were hoping for at 3 mph pushing the boat by itself. Lithium batteries will power for longer periods than flooded lead-acid but is it enough to justify their exorbitant price tag and special charger that's needed?

Thanks and your right. The more I look at smaller gas tiller motors the more I am leaning that way. Truthfully it was the ipilot and spotlock that had me wanting one but I guess money I save from not going electric could go towards a new fishfinder lol

Gas kicker definitely the way to go for trolling
But if you jigging for perch or like to bass / walleye fish jigging or casting lures electric trolling motor is a must , if you already got a fishfinder I would be saving money for a electric trolling motor vs new fishfinder
I'm still running my 899 hummingbird sonar / gps unit that's over 10 years old , I'm not a technology guy and wanting all the newest features, heck I don't even use most of the outdated features on my 899

My Minn Kota worked perfectly for years until I started to leave the foot pedal and hand remote(wired) in the boat. Only took one season to fail and when taken apart the was blues fuzz all over the circuit board. Back to Always taking out the foot and hand controls. Damp electronics are a bad thing, I also take out my sonar units too.

Having a dock with no hydro is a real pain, hauling 2-3 batteries in and out each time gets old quick. A solar panel will do nothing for you unless it is the size of you boat.

I wonder how the old guys without all the fancy electric gear ever caught fish?? All the money and time wasted on shite! Just go fishing 👍
Ha ha! as an old guy I understand where you are coming from. When younger we fished with no electronic gear whatsoever other than a CB and lighted compass of which both were equally useless. Ya we still managed to catch fish pounding our brain most days but not near as many or as quickly as we catch today nor as easily. Kinda nice to have a GPS to find my way home in thick fog, get to my waypoints and actually know where the heck I am at any given time. Nice to look at all those big hooks too on the fish finder and know they are actually fish I'm looking at and the exact depth to run the lures at, know the water temp and speed I'm trolling etc. , etc. Yep it all cost money alright but never found that any of the fancy electric gear ever wasted time, in fact it saves me so much time wasted trying to figure out where there's fish and at what depth they will bite. Yep the old guy has a fair amount of that electric gear now but still wishes he had more. 😁

I wonder how the old guys without all the fancy electric gear ever caught fish?? All the money and time wasted on shite! Just go fishing 👍
So carpenter use to install trim with hand nails now we use air powered trim nailer
Technology advances and so should we makes life easier and safer as well more productive
I'm not that old but fished without electronics and trolling motor what a pain in the ass that used to be ,I'm 100 % enjoying and benefiting what we have today

Nothing I’ve purchased in the last 50 years for fishing has changed the way I fish like my terrova. It’s a game changer and worth every cent.
I totally agree as well @Reardrag I am loving my 2009 Minn Kota
101 lb. Thrust 36 Volts Terrova that I have now had on my Lund boat since 2009 when I had bought my boat new then. I also had some other Terrova’s that I have had over the year’s as well,on other boat’s that I had owned then,and they are definitely worth every cent,as you had mentioned.

Attachments

• C7F94670-8E98-4DD5-B521-ADD06DA2FE14.jpeg
    C7F94670-8E98-4DD5-B521-ADD06DA2FE14.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 9
  • BFBCB116-8376-4ABC-A644-CCD94EF0C19A.jpeg
    BFBCB116-8376-4ABC-A644-CCD94EF0C19A.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So carpenter use to install trim with hand nails now we use air powered trim nailer
Technology advances and so should we makes life easier and safer as well more productive
I'm not that old but fished without electronics and trolling motor what a pain in the ass that used to be ,I'm 100 % enjoying and benefiting what we have today
I agree with advancing along with technology, however not all new things are better. The roofing guys sure can do your roof in a hurry with nail guns but they misplace a lot of the nails. I noticed when I use a hand saw at my trailer the cuts are perfect cause I take my time. Garages use air tools without any concern for torque, it's quicker but...

My point is that a lot of money and time is wasted on things we think we need but were able to get by without before. To each his own.
Soon we'll be too busy fishing and no time to post here about stuff that doesn't matter. 😊

Nothing I’ve purchased in the last 50 years for fishing has changed the way I fish like my terrova. It’s a game changer and worth every cent.
Glad yours works . Mine is a POS and unsafe. Concept is great, the application is junk. It's not half the motor of my old maximum I had.
For my style of fishing braided line had made the biggest difference, hands down more then a I pilot that steers itself into rocks islands docks other boats while the operator has no control

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks