Seasonal slip in Port Bruce advice pls

Arawak

At my wife's suggestion (!) I'm looking at getting a slip for my 18' centre console this season. Probably in Port Bruce since that's close and easy for me in north London.

Never had a slip before, always launch at the ramp, so I'm looking for any advice for a newbie in terms of what to expect and maybe what to look for in a good slip.

Also, other than not keeping all my gear in the boat, are there other things I will need to think about, like maybe a cover?

Please share your experiences, thanks!

There are several to choose from. I'd get in touch with each to see what they offer and if they have any openings for this year.

NEM https://northeriemarina.com/north-erie-marina

The Docks 519-870-7644

Rush Creek (226) 785-2150

The number for Creek Side Cottages is 519-735-7283 (they have 2 numbers on their sign but I couldn't make out the other one, sorry)

The finger docks at the marina will fit an 18 foot boat. Much closer to the lake and they have gas pumps for refueling. Linda and Mike are the new owners and are great to deal with and are making lots of improvements. Lots of parking a few feet from your dock and people watch out for each other so you don't have to worry about leaving your gear in the boat. It's also handy having the community center with washrooms and showers.

I had a slip down there for a couple of seasons but couldn't take the worry with heavy rain storms and the growth that appeared on the hull. After a big rain storm last year just a little east of Burwell, all the docks were ripped off and huge trees floating down stream. I went to help buddy at the trailer park and there was a lot of boats sunk or missing and all the docks were ripped out. A COVER IS MANDATORY. You also have to make sure your neighbour knows how to dock, I ended up with a couple of scrapes down the side. The slips are not individual but have a dock on each side with two boats in between. Sorry to be a downer, but mind you it was quite nice to just pull up in the truck and go out though, and the same for coming back in, just tie up and leave, no lining up to pull out.

I had a slip down there for a couple of seasons but couldn't take the worry with heavy rain storms and the growth that appeared on the hull. After a big rain storm last year just a little east of Burwell, all the docks were ripped off and huge trees floating down stream. I went to help buddy at the trailer park and there was a lot of boats sunk or missing and all the docks were ripped out. A COVER IS MANDATORY. You also have to make sure your neighbour knows how to dock, I ended up with a couple of scrapes down the side. The slips are not individual but have a dock on each side with two boats in between. Sorry to be a downer, but mind you it was quite nice to just pull up in the truck and go out though, and the same for coming back in, just tie up and leave, no lining up to pull out.
agreed. convenient in the sense you don't have to launch the boat every time you go fishing.
but I would still have to load and un load the gear at the dock arguably more inconvenient then having to launch the boat.
the weather worries me...
the growth on the bottom of the boat not only is a cost at the end of the season to wash it off... it will also increase your fuel consumption during the season.

I love having my boat in my driveway and the freedom to launch at whatever port I desire.

I dock in Burwell.

Mooring cover is a nice feature, so are more and oversized bumpers than you think you'll need.

Automatic ""WORKING" bilge pump absolute must, and needs to be validated throughout the season. Switch, connection failures and bits and pieces can jamb the impeller at any time.

The clients are well taken care of with numerous inspections/day (walk bys) and response by the marina to issues when recognized.

Personally. I'm liking the drive to the boat, and tie it up and leave it situation.

I clean the scum off the boat. Doing it yourself is not expensive, Muriatic acid, reusable brush, protective gear, water and one's time. 🌻

agreed. convenient in the sense you don't have to launch the boat every time you go fishing.
but I would still have to load and un load the gear at the dock arguably more inconvenient then having to launch the boat.
the growth on the bottom of the boat not only is a cost at the end of the season to wash it off... it will also increase your fuel consumption during the season.

I love having my boat in my driveway and the freedom to launch at whatever port I desire.
I agree 100%!!
I had my Trophy Pro at Erieau last season. It was convenient not to have to trailer and launch it, but man what a mess for the boat.
Bird crap everywhere that stains the decking so Id spend a day each week scrubbing. The hull was a mess at the end of the season and I spent another day with acid wash cleaning it.
I was also locked into Erieau...which is a beautiful place to fish, but the fishing wasnt like it was to the east..Glasgow to Burwell.
This year Ill put up with the launching hassles to be more mobile..as mobile as a 22' walkaround can be...and Im fussy about boat condition so Ill have it in the laneway to clean after fishing.
I was thinking about getting a basic slip in Bruce just to use occasionally vs docking all the time. Erieau was about $1650..what are unserviced docks at Bruce? Would it be worth splitting a dock with a couple others to have one to share..a couple days/week?

I am with you Derk! The same for me!

It cost me $350.00 to have my 19 footer cleaned 2 years ago. Disabled so can't do it myself. You have to add that to the cost of your slip. There was so much mung on my lower unit I was worried about the water flow from my water pump

I was there for the flood. Worst part was that the water level dropped 4 feet overnight and all the boats were left up on the bank and stuck in the mud. That's why I moved to the marina so I'm away from the main flowIMG_0836.JPG

I docked it my first year and trailered it my second. I will not be going back to a slip as I thoroughly enjoyed being able to just launch my boat at whatever hot port or Great Lake.

I've trailered for 35 years and have a slip at Port Glasgow going on 3 years now. I'll just say this,,, boating retirement having a slip.

Glasgow is well protected, full service and not on a river. Big waiting list though. I’d still like to buy, rent, lease or rent a boat house near Port Rowan. But nothing but waiting lists there too.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I went down to NEM and met with Mike, and decided to go ahead. He also has seasonal trailer parking so if I decide I want to go to Huron or Ontario scrub the bottom it should be pretty easy.

My biggest concern is charging the trolling batteries since there's no power at the dock. Ordered a Minnkota alternator charger to charge off the main motor, but unless i make a long run that is probably not going to fully recharge 150 amp hrs. Might have to re-rig them so I can take them home easily.

It's a self bailing centre console... should I still consider adding an automatic bilge pump?

I've trailered for 35 years and have a slip at Port Glasgow going on 3 years now. I'll just say this,,, boating retirement having a slip.

I really like Glasgow but it seems like it would be years before I could get a slip there. It's an extra 15-20 minutes drive compared to PB for me, but likely save that on the shorter drive to deep water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks