Winter Project - Old ATV

anonymoose

I figured I'd jump on the trend here and post about my winter project. My dad bought this Polaris Sportsman off the lot in '94 and I've been trying to keep it running.

The trouble started one day when I went to the shop and found that it had dropped all of its 2-stroke oil on my floor. That's the synthetic stuff so that represents half of my kids inheritance right there.

20221127_114034.jpg

The culprit turned out to be the oil pump. No problem, I thought... Just pull the pump and start pre-mixing, much like many oil injected outboards. I pulled the oil pump, which hinted at what the real issue might be.

20221214_083812.jpg

The gear that drives the pump has just a touch of rust on it. The ATV has a reservoir for oil that lubes the counterbalance. The filler plug for that reservoir seized up a couple of decades ago. No problem, right? There's oil in there, right?

After I pulled the pump I decided to ignore the rust. I made a cover and a gasket to go where the pump used to go and went on about my life. I got about half an hour of fun pulling the kids around on a GT in the snow before the real fun started. First it quit, then when I restarted it, it was making a hell of a racket. Not really a knock, just a horrible grinding noise. I towed it home and started peeling it apart. After hours of removing metal and plastic I was able to get the motor out and start tearing it apart.

20230115_101009.jpg

Pulled the flywheel cover off, then the flywheel, and the case behind it. These gears are supposed to be lubricated by the counterbalance oil. You can see the dipstick at the top of the pic. The clean bit is the water pump. What a mess.

Next I split the crank case to get at the counterbalance. Holy moly. This is behind the water pump side of the pic above. Here you can see the counterbalance. I'm holding the worm gear that used to drive the oil pump, which was broken off. You can see the ball bearings from the counterbalance all loose inside the housing, which the counterbalance had been chewing up. You can see also that at some point one of those got jammed and it busted out the wall into the crank case.

20230115_143604.jpg

Here is the counterbalance itself:

20230205_120423.jpg

And here is the housing. At the back is where the worm gear to drive the oil pump should be. You can see the outer race from one bearing is still in place:

20230122_124121.jpg

So here's the decision point... Do I find a new engine? Do I scrap the ATV? Or do I do the cheapass thing and try to fix it? Well I've come this far, so why not just try to fix it and see how long it will run?? I'm not sure another ATV would be in my future if I let this one die. The cheapass in me said press on.

That back race was a pain to get out. I tried a bunch of things, including welding some bolts to the race and pulling on them with the nuts:

20230128_131252.jpg

20230128_131614.jpg

Eventually it came free and I got it out. I ordered new bearings from J/E Bearing in Tillsonburg. They are fantastic. I wound up replacing 2 on the counterbalance and 1 on the main shaft between the crank case and the flywheel. There was also an oil seal on the main shaft that needed replacement. I ground out the damaged area between the counterbalance housing and the crank case using a carbide bit on the dremel, built it up with JB Weld, and filed it to shape. Not the best fix, but I'm looking at this as a bit of an experiment. I don't have a lot invested in the repair other than my time and a few bearings, so why not? I didn't get any pics of the fix, unfortunately. After that was out of the way all that was left was clean up and reassembly. I didn't take a ton of pics but here is what the gears look like, one clean one dirty:

20230208_175603.jpg

New gaskets got cut for everything. I drilled out that seized plug and cut a bolt to fit. I slapped an o-ring on it and called it good. You can see it at the very top of this pic. I guess I reused the water pump gasket. Waste not want not?

20230302_191927.jpg

Clean up job wasn't perfect but good enough.

Wow, very nice work on that! All the parts you cleaned up look great, not too pitted. Was that with a wire wheel etc.? Or any tricks like chemicals, electrolysis needed? Obviously there is extra wear and slop in a few things by now and their lifespan might not be optimal, but the fresh bearings and actually having oil in there should go a long way. Hopefully the JB weld experiment works, and I get why you did that... the alternatives are a bit intense.

I've done lots of this kind of work on old tractors and implements when I was younger- sometimes a repair that can limp you along another year is the right one.

As a fellow cheap ass, I appreciate this work! Even if you think about all the little bits of consumable stuff, it adds up. Wire brushes, sprays, welding gas/wire/rods, gasket material, RTV, tools etc... but a well outfitted shop and a guy with stuff like that laying around can do great things for pennies!

Wow, very nice work on that! All the parts you cleaned up look great, not too pitted. Was that with a wire wheel etc.? Or any tricks like chemicals, electrolysis needed? Obviously there is extra wear and slop in a few things by now and their lifespan might not be optimal, but the fresh bearings and actually having oil in there should go a long way. Hopefully the JB weld experiment works, and I get why you did that... the alternatives are a bit intense.

I've done lots of this kind of work on old tractors and implements when I was younger- sometimes a repair that can limp you along another year is the right one.

As a fellow cheap ass, I appreciate this work! Even if you think about all the little bits of consumable stuff, it adds up. Wire brushes, sprays, welding gas/wire/rods, gasket material, RTV, tools etc... but a well outfitted shop and a guy with stuff like that laying around can do great things for pennies!
Yeah the more junk I hoard up the cheaper the fixes get. I had all the gasket material, silicone, brake clean etc. on hand as I do tend to muck around with stuff like this. Saves trips to town to load up on these things when they are on sale.

For the cleanup, steel parts like those gears got the wire wheel. Some got the WD-40 and steel wool treatment too. The aluminum housings all got cleaned with a nylon brush. Some were cleaned with WD-40 and then sprayed out with brake clean, while others I was able to dunk into a bucket of soapy water and then hit with the brake clean for final clean up. The usual razor blade treatment for gasket / silicone clean up helps surfaces mate neatly when reassembled.

Animated GIF

Nicely done !
When can we start booking appointments ?
I have a philosophy that I used when I start messing around with things... It basically goes that if it was broken when I started, the worst thing that can happen is that it is broken when I'm done.

The philosophy only really works when I own the thing I'm working on. You see, if I start mucking around with your thing and it is still broken at the end, now I've got a bigger headache to deal with than when I started.

I used to buy up lots of chainsaws, snow blowers, lawn mowers, outboards etc. and fix them up and sell them. Again, the philosophy was that I owned them so it was fine if I couldn't fix them. It was fun at the time, but now I seem to have accumulated enough old crap that something is always broken at any given time, giving me the all the fun I need :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks