Headding to port maitland tomorrow

FrankTheTank

Im going to try fishing the grand tomorrow to fish by kayak at port maitland as long as its not real bad weather looks like its going to be -2 and not super windy i am going to hit pickeral ally pike haven and maybe even venture inward to catfish creator i was wondering tho about some perch fishing there i know in the summer people have good goes near the rock wall leading to the lake just wondering if you guys think it would be worth to try jigging there with the cold temps or if they have moved deep? I know the aformention spots were really hot last year in the early season so im hoping they will produce now but it would be nice to get some perch for more potato perch pies thanks guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230224-092952.png
    Screenshot_20230224-092952.png
    990 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230224-092941.png
    Screenshot_20230224-092941.png
    683.4 KB · Views: 31
Frank, you might want to rethink that trip for tomorrow. I live on Mohawk bay, just around the corner from port M, and we had mostly freezing rain here and it is glare ice. I am 210lb and am able to walk on top of the 1.5" of ice in my back yard without cracking it. You could probably get into the water no problem, but getting back out would be a trick.

Oh i disnt relize the water was feezing up already i live over in wellabdport abd my creeks still flowing so i figured the grand would still be open water maybe have to put the kayaks in the creek instead thanks for the heads up i might boot in to the launch tonight and check it out

Launch by the community center Frank. Go get some resident kitties.

The water is open now, but -7C tonight they might skim over. The big thing is that the banks and ramps are glare ice and you may not be able crack through it. You could slide down to the water but then getting up the slope to haul out would be tough. It is a solid 1.5" thick in my yard and driveway.

Launch by the community center Frank. Go get some resident kitties.
Thanks Where would that be? Im going to take a look at the launch in portmaitland by the big ships tonight even if i had to park at erie mutual and head out shitts creek there like in the ice fishing season i just cant wait any longer to get out i was thinking about taking the 12' tinney out and just running the motor in a barell when i get home but that was when it was kinda warm out. Thanks again guys

The Wellandport Community Center on Canborough road just east of downtown.

Be patient Frank in a couple 3 weeks you’ll be able to go and do whatever you want wherever you want and not be putting yourself in too much of a tricky spot if you get in trouble. If you do decide to go be extremely careful it’s nasty travelling on foot.

Well i got out yesterday we did 3hrs before the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in no bites sadly we straped on the ice cleats for the launch and luckly thru the wind we had pushed a big bank of sand up abd was able to use that to launch the way out was beautiful sun shining i even took my coat off we got pertnear to the thirsty mate and turned around because of the cool wind i ran a jointed rainbow trout lure and a perch jointed scatter rap witch were heavy hitter early last year but no bites this time also ran a white pink and blue spotted cleo to no avail so we headed to buddys and played pool till about 8 glad we got out i dont think next week will happen since the top side of the damn was a sheet of ice itll probably break off this week and muck up the lower half small floti g patches of ice when we started but when the wind came on it was heading to the lake so when we got back it moved all the scatyered ice down towards the launch soon enough well be back in action at least i got my ich scratched thanks again to all the info and for the wellandport center i dont think ill be going thede for a bit last time i went down there my truck couldnt stay stright with the amou t of ice on the laneway i do love that spot tho especially where i am only 5 mins from there

Attachments

• 20230225_111529_HDR.jpg
    20230225_111529_HDR.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230225_111658.jpg
    20230225_111658.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the report. I’m itching to get out also. Hopefully next weekend. See how Lake Ontario is and if not hit the grand.

Do you guys wear dry suits?

No dry suits we dont have them just long johns and jeans didnt want to wear to much just in case we went in hopefully next weekend works out id like to get out with the tinny but with the top side bei g a sheet and warmer weatjer coming the next couple days im worried about it movi g over the dam i dont wanna hit ice thats under the water and ding the prop i hit the rock by the lake boats slip and took a good half inch out last year

Attachments

• 20220515_110318_HDR.jpg
    20220515_110318_HDR.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220515_190416_HDR.jpg
    20220515_190416_HDR.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 55
No dry suits we dont have them just long johns and jeans didnt want to wear to much just in case we went in hopefully next weekend works out id like to get out with the tinny but with the top side bei g a sheet and warmer weatjer coming the next couple days im worried about it movi g over the dam i dont wanna hit ice thats under the water and ding the prop i hit the rock by the lake boats slip and took a good half inch out last year
You might want to rethink what you're wearing, jeans and long johns (if they're cotton) are not a good combo for cold water. Cotton holds too much water and you'll freeze your arse off in no time, that's if you can stay afloat long enough. If not a dry suit, then a wet suit would work or polyester or polypropylene "fleece" underwear and lightweight breathable nylon pants. Going out in this water temperature is all fun and games until someone goes in the drink. Please be careful, we'd like to read your fishing reports again this summer!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks