Off Topic Trivia question ; Batten down the hatches ?

Old Cut LongPointer

Now any Swabbie worth his tot knows the meaning of that phrase but for the Landlubbers it basically means "get ready for something bad to happen"... like the ice storm that's coming today ! It's an old nautical term for when they would stuff strips of canvas along the hatch covers or doorways and tighten them down to keep water from getting into the hold in the event of a storm. Also the thinner strip of wood used to cover the seam on a buildings boards ie; Board & Batten style house.

So stock up and hunker down as it could be a rough one ! Also check your generator as Ontario Hydro has issued warnings of prolonged power outages and do not use fuel burning devices ie; BBQ's, campstoves, propane heaters , etc. indoors at the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning due to poor ventilation. Stay well back from any downed power lines as they may still be live ! Check on your neighbours , especially the elderly or those without the luxury of a generator or fireplace.

Oh yeah ! Those new ice creepers you got for hardwater fishing would come in handy.

Yep cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey. So we better run balls out to get ready. But you still can't hoist yourself up by your own boot straps.

No power in Union..or anywhere else from Windsor to Dover. Hydro 1 says protected time to fix..tomorrow at 11pm. Got the genny hooked up..sump pumps, lines into the house for kettle, microwave, cook on the BBQ, gas fireplace heats the whole house nicely. Might run power to the trailer in our driveway..has propane furnace, TV, hydro. Just like camping.

Hydro went out at 0200hrs but The Boyz got it back on by 1700hrs out here in Clear Creek . My buddy on Old Cut Blvd. said his power never went out but St. William's was out then on in the evening then out again. Lots of broken branches and a few trees down too !

You can say THAT again, not my cup of tea… I’ve got 1.5 inches of ice on the driveway. I tried call about it but HE’S not answering…lol

Not to bad here but skunks are the same colour.

Attachments

• PXL_20230223_152200751.jpg
    PXL_20230223_152200751.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 23
@Wave Runner beautiful grass!
It wasn't easy though, very time consuming getting all the snow vacuumed off so the mower would cut properly.

images

I see the trees are not off the leaves yet…haha
Good eyes 👀 @Red Fisher 👍👍 lots of green there for sure!! lol 😆 😉 Therefore,I am ready to move to Iona Station!! 🤩 and maybe 🤔,I could even be one of @Wave Runner neighbour’s!! lol 😆 I have had enough of this “white stuff!!” ❄️ ❄️ 😒 in London & area,and “Come ON,Spring!!”🌺 🌸 🐦 👍👍🙂

Attachments

• E4A67F9A-0B74-4DCB-8EA3-EC3FFC81BD9A.jpeg
    E4A67F9A-0B74-4DCB-8EA3-EC3FFC81BD9A.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks