Braided line

DaveJ

After a day fishing with the legendary Tailfeathers and observing all of his secret setups and gear, I wanted switched over some of my setups to braid line...the dipsies in particular, but also the inline boards. Braid at tackle stores was .15 cents/yard X 200 yards X 6 reels..around $200 with tax. Based on the Capts advice I ordered some braid off of Aliexpress...Hercules Multifilament Fishing Line 40lb test equivalent. 2000 yards delivered $36. It may not be the best 8 strand coated UV resistant tournament stuff the pros use...but for dragging baits on Erie...dang!!

Thanks for the advice Capt!!

Hercules-Fishing-Line-8-Strand-Braided-Multifilament-10-300LB-Super-Pe-100-2000M-Pesca-Carp-Fishing.jpg_220x220.jpg_.webp

Well the only connection between me and a trophy fish is junk from China….I’ll pay the extra. I’m Changing my braid about every 3 years. At the end of the day after I’ve bought a boat, gas, insurance, lures, ramp fees, $5 in line seems like a weird place to cut cost.

Good tip! I have been tempted to try the ultra cheap stuff but was skeptical. Nice to see some good reviews from guys you can trust.

I am too cheap to buy sufix 832. Normally I go for the cheaper Japanese ones you find in stores like Daiwa J-braid or Yo-zuri. Or Berkeley solutions.

I’ll admit that the yo-zuri twists a bit more than other brands, but it might be how I spooled it since letting it all out behind the boat and reeling it back helped that. The others I mentioned all seemed equal and I’d probably still buy whichever was on sale or came in a cool colour :LOL:

I need to pay more! I did buy 50lb suffix cause it was cheaper than 40 from amazon. Don't think I've ever changed out braid just wind on new leaders. Not a suffix fan boy but it seems to work well. Trolling for pik-eyes not much of a strain. If it loses 1/2 it's strength it'll still be way stronger than the 12 lb trilene I used to change every year.

I tried the made in China braid for friends in Cuba one time. I can't remember the brand name, but it was supposed to be 80 lb. and was breaking on my scale at 39 lbs. I threw it in the garbage and went out and bought Power Pro that I use all the time. The Cubans loved my line. LOL!

Well the only connection between me and a trophy fish is junk from China….I’ll pay the extra. I’m Changing my braid about every 3 years. At the end of the day after I’ve bought a boat, gas, insurance, lures, ramp fees, $5 in line seems like a weird place to cut cost.
Yes agreed, iam super picky about my line. Change every season and sometimes twice a season however after trying some of the cheaper lines I have been quite satisfied. It's every it as string, casts as good and it's prone to any more tangles. When I say cheaper I mean the lower end braid like berkely x14 etc. I.cant justify $26 on suffix when the $14 berkely is as good. I do have a spool of the cheap China stuff that I use on the kids poles and some ice fishing equipment

I only use the berkley X5 8lbs unless they only have 10lbs never had too much of an issue with it couple break offs but no steele leaders and big pike would be the reason there i always tell people buy the braid its way better then mono i have never used the flouro stuff or the spider wire before i would like to find the ice braid where its wax coated

I tried the made in China braid for friends in Cuba one time. I can't remember the brand name, but it was supposed to be 80 lb. and was breaking on my scale at 39 lbs. I threw it in the garbage and went out and bought Power Pro that I use all the time. The Cubans loved my line. LOL!
I.m with you on power pro wave runner i have never had a problem with it

Well..thought this would be the feedback cause its Chinese.
All the other bulk braids from Cabelas are $250-$350 US plus shipping...Suffix is $360 from Fishermans warehouse..US, so with shipping..around $580 Can without duty.
I saw the offshore brand in action..on a charter boat no less. Dragging dipsies and diving baits off boards on Erie..I can guarantee that the fish and the baits wont care.
Ive been running every type of mono on all the great lakes and LSC and all the rivers over the last 35 years...everything from the most expensive to the cheapest bulk...and its never really mattered. Finesse fishing..yes, but big water..no.
Ill check the breaking point on this braid, but I run 12-14 lb test mono on all my Lk Erie rods and you know how many breakoffs Ive had? None..zero.
I expect 40-ish lb braid will handle anything Erie has to show.....and I saved $550 ....

Braided-Line should last you 5-6 years. I use 30-LB. Power Pro. Moss Green colour. I think it is the best! Never had an issue- touch wood!

I haven't even had to re-tie in 3 or more years. It's loosing its green colour though. I have some empty spools and just reverse it after a few years then it's for canvas repairs.

I've been running power pro for years on any of my non mono trolling gear. It's worth the dollar paid. I seldom have to replace it, at most I cut a yard or 2 off at the end of season and the fluoro leaders get replaced regularly. The only exception is I might replace dipsy braid every 5 years... maybe. We're talking pickerel here, they aren't very hard on gear. I think I've replaced my wire divers more often due to king shots. I'm all for saving money, but line and terminal tackle isn't where I do it. I pay for the brand name stuff, and have very few disappointments. Your mileage may vary. I'd sooner have a qualitry reel and good braid and terminal gear, on a cheap @ss rod all day every day.

Well..thought this would be the feedback cause its Chinese.
All the other bulk braids from Cabelas are $250-$350 US plus shipping...Suffix is $360 from Fishermans warehouse..US, so with shipping..around $580 Can without duty.
I saw the offshore brand in action..on a charter boat no less. Dragging dipsies and diving baits off boards on Erie..I can guarantee that the fish and the baits wont care.
Ive been running every type of mono on all the great lakes and LSC and all the rivers over the last 35 years...everything from the most expensive to the cheapest bulk...and its never really mattered. Finesse fishing..yes, but big water..no.
Ill check the breaking point on this braid, but I run 12-14 lb test mono on all my Lk Erie rods and you know how many breakoffs Ive had? None..zero.
I expect 40-ish lb braid will handle anything Erie has to show.....and I saved $550 ....
Normally at the start of the season I'll peel off 10 yards or so and go. If it's faded or definitely weak I respool. Chartering 100s of hours a year I've tried expensive and cheap with no different results. Truly how many lures could you buy with $500 extra !

I still can't wrap my head around why anything heavier than 30lb braid is needed... Braid for me is backing for leadcore... Divers are wire... If i can land 30+lb kings on 20lb mono why would you need anything heavier than 30??? Wire line for dipseys is 30lb...

I use Tuff line and Suffix braid... Most are going to high vis...

I still can't wrap my head around why anything heavier than 30lb braid is needed... Braid for me is backing for leadcore... Divers are wire... If i can land 30+lb kings on 20lb mono why would you need anything heavier than 30??? Wire line for dipseys is 30lb...

Your not slop fishing in the pads for 6 pound bucket mouths!!! Timber logs grass moss etc...your 20 lb mono wouldn't cut it ...I get your point for open water trolling but mono isn't anywhere near as sensitive and has zero stretch. With a good braid you can literally tell the lightest jig bite from the most finicky walleye ever...

With braid it is so thin, there is usually no trade off between the length of line that fits on the spool and the weight/thickness.

Often you can fit as much line as you want with 20# or 50#, so it’s easy to go with the overkill size. And if it’s discount line, maybe not a bad idea…

The main negative to oversized line is when you have diving baits etc. and thinner diameter line helps it get down (but even that is still more of a problem with mono than braid).

PS I agree- it is definitely not needed. I put 20# braid on a dipsey setup ;) but I’d have used heavier if a roll was sitting in front of me.

Normally at the start of the season I'll peel off 10 yards or so and go. If it's faded or definitely weak I respool. Chartering 100s of hours a year I've tried expensive and cheap with no different results. Truly how many lures could you buy with $500 extra !
Extra $500 exactly!! I long ago looked critically at lines, esp when refilling reels on the great lakes. Trilene was always the go to for strength and durability, but again, refilling 6 large cap reels a couple times a season was $$. I learned about Bass Pro XT and XL bulk spools...looked like Trilene, felt like Trilene, behaved like Trilene...but was 1/4 of the price. Id order 3000 yard spools in everything from 6 to 17lb test. I still have a few spools on the shelf and its as good now as then.
As far as this Chinese Hercules braid..Ill report back this summer...but based on the amount of fish Tailfeathers puts in his coolers, I betcha the walleye aren't going to care where it came from.

As far as this Chinese Hercules braid..Ill report back this summer...but based on the amount of fish Tailfeathers puts in his coolers, I betcha the walleye aren't going to care where it came from.
Are you going to check the breaking strength when you get that line? I would be interested in hearing how close it is to what they claim on the spool. I know I was quite disappointed that brand new 80 lb. braid broke at only 39 lbs.? After that I checked some 40 lb. Power Pro braid I still had on old musky reel that was close to 15 years old and it broke at 36 lbs. so I can imagine that Chinese stuff would break like thread at that age. I hope it works out for you because I see your point about cost.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks