D1C034B8-8799-4AD1-8801-F834567ECEE4.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 73753AC1-C871-40C6-B874-F6A951A7FE4D.jpeg
    73753AC1-C871-40C6-B874-F6A951A7FE4D.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 46
  • CB4AADDB-6390-444F-BA63-4F9980E6B43A.jpeg
    CB4AADDB-6390-444F-BA63-4F9980E6B43A.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 53
Looks delicious! What’s in the thinner redder ones? Paprika or spices or is it just the casing?

I am curious about your recipe with venison and what you use (I am assuming pork fat). I sometimes need more fat if the pork is too lean, but don’t always have the best pork fat available.

That’s a nice shiny stuffer :)

Looks delicious! What’s in the thinner redder ones? Paprika or spices or is it just the casing?

I am curious about your recipe with venison and what you use (I am assuming pork fat). I sometimes need more fat if the pork is too lean, but don’t always have the best pork fat available.

That’s a nice shiny stuffer :)
I ran out pig casing and just used some pepperette casings to finish.I used some pig shoulder to mix with the venison. About 60/40 version/pork of each which gave enough fat .
I also have a nice shiny meat grinder that I use too.Not cheap toys but I'll never need to up grade.I will be upgrading the vertical smoker to something bigger to make more than 15lbs at a time.

Gotcha about the casings. Makes sense! I usually make some thin ones too if I have any lamb casings. The recipe sounds great!

Yes, those are nice tools to have. When I first started making sausage I only had a #10 manual grinder. It was fine for grinding meat, I actually don't mind cranking but man is stuffing sausage slow using the grinder stuffing horn. And it took 2 people. My brother and I would take turns being the guy to make the meat into "snowballs" and pack it down into the grinder. Now with the piston type I just crank it out!

Good luck with the smoker upgrades! When I do big sausage batches I use a drum smoker and it works well. You can hang the loops so long they break if you aren't careful.

Gotcha about the casings. Makes sense! I usually make some thin ones too if I have any lamb casings. The recipe sounds great!

Yes, those are nice tools to have. When I first started making sausage I only had a #10 manual grinder. It was fine for grinding meat, I actually don't mind cranking but man is stuffing sausage slow using the grinder stuffing horn. And it took 2 people. My brother and I would take turns being the guy to make the meat into "snowballs" and pack it down into the grinder. Now with the piston type I just crank it out!

Good luck with the smoker upgrades! When I do big sausage batches I use a drum smoker and it works well. You can hang the loops so long they break if you aren't careful.
A good meat grinder is a must have for me.I'm usually working solo so I need to make things easy for a one man .Same for that sausage stuffer it's the cat's ass doing it alone.
I've been looking for another smoker but they all seem smaller than I want.If I can find a decent size metal cabinet of decent wall thickness I'll just make one myself.

That is a good idea... see what you can rustle up! You're right that anything big enough to handle lots of sausage is probably more "commercial" scale and will be hard to come by and cost an arm and a leg. That's how I landed on a drum (big, cheap, thick enough). The set up is a bit crude but I can run it on charcoal or a live fire (my preference). One one hand I love the electric "set it and forget it" type units, but on the other, it is hard to beat an afternoon of enjoying the outdoors tending the fire and smoking a batch of sausages.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks