Fishing Report Jan. 21 Hot Mahi Action Pacifico Mexico

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Yep back on board with fishing rebels for trip # 2 ...after a 35 mile run out offshore..we trolled artifical baits into a super big mass of Dorados surrounding waters on a small fish trap/net marker..So we quickly switched over to a 3 rod spread trolling slow light lining surface live bait & and Wow a triple header Mahis...& landed..we ended up with 7 for 8 on live goggle eye baits & circle hook..no sinker... conditions were perfect...that bite slowed down..so heres the game changer..A local panga sport fishing boat we know had finished up fishin..they come over and offered us there leftover live sardinas...Wow so we rigged up to smaller J hooks to fit the smaller bait...and them sardines got creamed omg...yep & another triple header..& landed..
we were chummin live well water and hooked a couple more and a few missed bites..then a big school of dolphins moved in and shut us down..hey we got our fill 11 dorados & the 3 bonitos released..cooler was full and 2 dorados on the floor....anyway it was time to make the 2.5 hr trip back to PV..while Manny & I cleaned the fish..& Capt. Oscar run us in..What a great trip..and a ton of fillets..ya I shared some of mine back here at my apartment..everybody is happy ..Pura Vida for sure..heres a few photos to share..
thats the goggle eye live bait we buy at one of the marinas..big dorados like um..there fun..

Complete_2.jpg

20230121_065419.jpg

20230121_120228.jpg
20230121_102341.jpg
20230121_124300.jpg20230121_102132.jpgIMG-20230121-WA0000.jpg
I landed 9 for 11 Mahi Mahi on light tackle... those bigger bulls fought super hard..Oscar & Manny cranked in 1 Mahi each..had to with the double triple triple..ya

two photos below 2 for 3 dorados on Jan 8, 2023

20230108_111202.jpg IMG-20230117-WA0015.jpg

Attachments

• 20230121_124245.jpg
    20230121_124245.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
thankyou..

ya sometimes when i got time to burn sitting on shore thinking & waiting for next trip out..it can be a tuff one..i was given a choice this morning..friday or saturday is available..i got wednesday to decide..or even decline..

its nice to review again the top 50 world saltwater sport fish and i am good with the pros ranking..nice to see where the marlin and mahi are..

check it out

i just got a message from the fishing rebels ...one of there boats out this morning landed a huge yellow tuna..incredible photo..WoW

photo #2 ..can you see that blue & white fish marker buoy...try the magnifying glass...

ya i got word the guys went back by gps yesterday and landed 6 dorados..nice

ya iam very impressed with the charters i fished with this season...for PV fishing rebels the Yazman boat Capt. Oscar running 60 lb braid backing, inline knot with 60 lb mono with a 40 lb leader for great sport on the mahi mahi
back in Cabo same common dominator for striped marlin, dorado, wahoo, tuna 60 lb braid & mono combo..heavy leaders 150 lb..great sport with the 140 - 160 lb class marlin...ya 60 lb screams
i remember CR charters for sailfish dorado 60lb and even down to 40lb catching sailfish..CR is circle hook only running live & dead ballyhoo...ya we got the big marlin rod on standby loaded with A live ballyhoo..thats for Mr. black coming into to our spread...teasers come in ballyhoo goes out..

its a real pleasure fishing with pros..the 4 line spread & never have to tie a knot..its gratifying to be thanked by the crews for my experience as well..

I am the guy that likes to move on to new blue waters with new adventure ,to me fishing is hunting.. I hope I can keep it going as long as I can..I do belong here full time down here on the pacific..

Great pics and beautiful fish. When i fished GOM for dolphin ttheboat always looked like an axe murderer was on board.... they bleed so much, You must have washed everything down. Doesn't look too rough as well

Thankyou

just a word of caution for air travel down here to this part of Mexico. I reccomend reviewing our Travel Advisory website. The U.S travel advisory site. Personally my vibe is good & solid.
If you want to check,

Just to mention I traveled with a pre purchased ticket months in advance with a Mexico national carrier flight Viva Areobus on December 28th from Cabo San Lucas to Guadalajara and onto Puerto Vallarta, the flight arrival was delayed by our jet over shooting the runway forcing a later flight that was 2x delayed, my PV arrival time was 6 hours late. counting the 1 hour gained from Pacific to Central time.

While I was in Cabo November I looked for travel oppurtunities within this part of Mexico including the Copper Canyon El Chepe Express. To say the least i was disappointed not able to start the journey by air to Los Mochis Siniloa from the Baja and the mainland. I also looked at the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan, and said no way.

So i am staying put here in PV other then my next trip offshore fishing, my next travel is my safe return flight direct to Toronto with Air Canada, ya thats next month and I am in no rush.

Last edited:
congrats spearfisher fishing the gulf of Mexico and hooking up with mahi mahi and landing them.. ya when some of those big dorados with doubles & triples hit the fibreglass deck its super loud and messy..rod goes flying gashed skin on legs and arms..i got 2 open wounds on my left wrist from screaming mono saturday..its like a burn, and festers up bad..i got the black tube polysporin and changing bandaids 3x daily to help stop prevent infection..

ya tyler whats goin on up there..my phone has been monitoring St. Thomas and surrounding area weather hourly & daily...i can`t believe the ongoing weather warnings with rain an freezing rain and hail and ice and with high winds..now i am reading a snowfall warning..and now the radar..yuck

more importantly is our local marine pacific weather trend leading up into saturday..

Last edited:
the theme in this post is fishing Mexico, so

I have in my possession onboard in my backpack a federal Mexico fishing licence. Valid for 1 year, I bought mine in person Nov. 21 2022 with my passport to an attendant that put my personal passport credentials into a computerized machine and out come my official licence and invoice statement..that was at the ground level Cabo Marina Mall Baja California Sur, Mexico

I paid in cash total cost $837 + $95 = $932 MX Pesos

my currency exchange calculation
$1 CA dollar = 14 MX pesos
$1 US dollar = 20 MX pesos

Last edited:
how much wet/dry snow today...sounds like under 4 inches 10 cms?

the temps here are nice and comfortable 27 to 29 day time highs with lows 16 to 19 just below the mountains..
were heading out offshore in a faster boat for mahi mahi saturday early..

thanks Tyler.. snow will be melted by the end of the weekend..

the only thing hot is going to be the Mahi Mahi bite tomorrow...ya we got alot going on into this trip..down here in ol mexico..

just a spectacular action packed fishin saturday jan 28th on board the Favo with Skipper Jose & mate Edwin & my bud Jonny..

heres a few photos, and videos..will see

red sky in the morning? forboding our hot dorado bite, the scramble on a massive school of spinner dolphins & seeing the yellowfin tuna..one boat run & gun on it with a double hook up..we managed 2 back to back dorados..lol..incredible action & experience with 8 boats surrounded the frenzy and even a couple kite rigs...we trolled out..after 30 minutes we got a marlin right beside the boat, within seconds out tosses a live bait and the marlin had sounded ...several minutes later a screaming double header big dorados..1 for 2 landed..and a couple more dorados in our spread for a sniff...and that was it..we chatted about tossing live bait off the point..Skipper says we got a cold front that is movin in.. can ya see it..it was my call and I said pack it in..an hour later were traveling the big trip back Bay of Banderas into tropical rains..I shared a photo large rain cloud to the southern mountains on the water. the bay is 26 miles across.
great am trip and 5 for 6 Mahi..

My 3X pacific fishin 70+ mile trips Out of PV is a wrap for January 2023..our Mahi Mahi landed count 18..

20230128_063118.jpg

20230128_071115.jpg
20230128_074017.jpg20230128_090707_01.jpg

20230128_101753.jpg 20230128_090640.jpg

20230128_083357.jpg20230128_123807.jpg

20230124_170133.jpg

tasty, juicy & delicious..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks