Hunting Boot Recommendation

trky chsr

Any recommendations on a good quality hunting boot? I currently have a pair of Irish Setters (gore-tex 800gr. insulation) which have a lot of miles on them and which I've been very happy with but I'm always open to others. I've owned Rocky, which unless things have changed were great and are now crap, Gorilla and Wolverine. It doesn't look like Wolverine makes hunting boots anymore. I have Timberland hiking boots which are fantastic but it doesn't look like they making hunting versions either. TC

If you're not looking to spend alot I purchased the Huntshield neoprene tall boots this fall for deer hunting. I was honestly impressed at how comfortable they are and 100% waterproof so far.....I guess the true test will be over the next 2-3 hunting seasons using them. But I picked the up on sale for $100 so no complaints at all!!

Last edited:
I see Danner doesn't make the Pronghorns anymore, too bad. I should mention I'm looking for upland/deer hunting boots with gore-tex and 800gr thinsulate or equivalent. TC

just to add....I suggest when the Jan. sales start..you can also check out MEC (mountain equipment co)...good selection & value for quality outdoor footware...I personally like my wider fit Keens...I got mine on sale over 2 years ago at the London south store...take your huntin socks and try some on...if your not satisfyed they will take them back..
you can also window shop MEC online...

Last edited:
I've been an Irish Setter user for years, have three pairs, one 1200, one 1000 and a pair of 400 gr hiking boots.
All where purchased at Als Shoes in Simcoe.

I see Danner doesn't make the Pronghorns anymore, too bad. I should mention I'm looking for upland/deer hunting boots with gore-tex and 800gr thinsulate or equivalent. TC

i just looked at web site and Danner still does make Pronghorns.

Any recommendations on a good quality hunting boot? I currently have a pair of Irish Setters (gore-tex 800gr. insulation) which have a lot of miles on them and which I've been very happy with but I'm always open to others. I've owned Rocky, which unless things have changed were great and are now crap, Gorilla and Wolverine. It doesn't look like Wolverine makes hunting boots anymore. I have Timberland hiking boots which are fantastic but it doesn't look like they making hunting versions either. TC
When you find something you like , let me know also . In rubbers , I can't get ice Ice crushers anymore . The 800 gram Rockies I bought , kept my feet frozen the whole shot gun hunt, no matter how many or few or type of socks I wore , so I took those back . and because of my foot injury , I can't wear the boots that are tight fits like irish setter and danner . So I'm looking also . Oh and now I also need size 13's . Have some vipers from the shoe factory in Simcoe , that fit and keep my feet my feet warm . Just takes like 10 mins. to lace and cinch up snug ( worse than a kid with new hockey skates ) . Anyone tried those Redheads at Bass Pro ? Any good ? How many grams of thinsulate , do they recommend for winter hunting ?Really would prefer lace up s, that are waterproof and no "D" rings .

Hey Magnum I've tried a couple of pairs of Redheads (slow learner) in "waterproof" hikers and they were crap, not waterproof at all and wore out in a year. I doubt their hunting boots would be any better.

Hey Magnum I've tried a couple of pairs of Redheads (slow learner) in "waterproof" hikers and they were crap, not waterproof at all and wore out in a year. I doubt their hunting boots would be any better.
Thanks for the tip TC. Saves a 1.5 hr. trip ( one way ), plus more disappointments . Some time shortly , I'm going back to the shoe factory ( Simcoe ) . A guy in our party bought a pair of boots there for $60 and was satisfied with them for the hunt . Forget the name , but I'll see him in a couple days . His were lower cuts , so I want to see if they have 10"or so . Have to stop by the shop , for some last minute xmas stuff , so I'll be in touch .

I bought a pair of Cabelas Iron Ridge 10 years ago and they are still going strong. Never had cold feet yet.

anything they made 10yrs ago is either not made anymore or it junk now ..
i like my 800gram/gor-tex setters
Actually , I see Cabelas still carry 10" Iron ridge 800 gram . Have a life time guarantee . Just a little hesitant , seeing my feet froze in the 800 gram Rockies . Any more input from people who have purchased them . It's 3 hrs . away , but I'd make the trip , if it was a slam dunk . Waiting on a response from Als . Told them what I was looking for and they're only 15 minutes away.

Also see the Danner Pronghorns are still made , but they are closer to $300 for 1000/1200 grams , thru Amazon.ca . Not sure of the return policy on footwear , thru them .

Got them from cabelas not sure on the price around 160 bucks i think they dont make them anymore ..sorry no help here..i think im wrong on the boots got them at AL'S in brantford or simcoe

Last edited:
I have a pair of Rocky 800gr insulated rubber boots with the side zipper. Great warm waterproof boots...except...after about 4 years of very light use they cracked at the heel and along the sides. I called Rocky and they said the rubber can get dry and crack with age. There was no replacement of compensation offered other than a 20% coupon off my next pair. These were expensive so I repaired them but wouldn't get them from Rocky again.
I have a pair of Nokian rubber boots that are likely 30 years old and are like the day I bought them. Outstanding construction and materials and great walking boots but they only have the felt liner so aren't super warm in minus temps if you're sitting
My next pair will likely be the LaCrosse Alphaburly Pro 1600 gr boots. They use a premium rubber over neoprene. Ratings seem good also.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks