Off Topic Brrr? Depends on how you look at it lol.

Trevor M

So the weather people, you know, the same ones that almost NEVER get the forecast right in summer, but seem to always get it right in winter, are saying we're in for a pretty nasty winter storm starting late tomorrow and lasting through the weekend. Not sure yet if this approaching storm is going to impact our Christmas plans or not, depends on how bad it is/gets on Saturday as that's the only day this year we have to do any traveling, and that's only to St. Thomas. We'll see. For anyone who is traveling, be safe.

Could be worse tho, just to give myself a little reminder of Christmases past, I had a look at the weather where I used to live this morning, (Edmonton and Yellowknife) when I looked at what it was supposed to do here today so as to inform my wife before taking her to work this morning.

Here today at 5am, forecast said.........-5 C felt like -9. Hi today was to be -1. To me, that's beach weather, especially when you consider that, Edmonton this morning at 5am was saying -33 C felt like -43 and the hi temp there today was only gonna be -26 BEFORE the wind, and Yellowknife was -37 C felt like -48 hi temp for today was only gonna be -31 BEFORE the wind. At those temps, frostbite can happen immediately.

And people look at me funny when I say, "IT DOESN'T GET COLD HERE."

Conversely, if you had lived in Florida previously, you would find it extremely cold. We all acclimatize to our environment. However I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I'm going to be looking at it from behind a different window.

Really looking forward to it. 😁 😁😁😁 🌻

Something my past job and being an outdoorsman taught me was how to take all the weather data available and make plans accordingly and this one doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong but either way I stocked up on firewood in the house and lots of goodies to eat and drink , my gas tanks are topped off and everything else outside wrapped up and put away. Will test fire the generator tomorrow morning and after that sit back and watch the show. Hopefully Christmas Day will be nice but the morning may be "iffy"... again I may be wrong and hopefully so.

Point of interest ; Winter officially arrived at 1648hrs today December 21st, 2022. The longest night of the year.

As much as I'm not looking forward to it I know I'll be rolling into it with 22 wheels or more on the ground on Friday and then again on Saturday. Good times haha hopefully I don't have to go to far lol

As much as I'm not looking forward to it I know I'll be rolling into it with 22 wheels or more on the ground on Friday and then again on Saturday. Good times haha hopefully I don't have to go to far lol

Lots of past trips are flooding my mind @Fshrmn4life, some real dandys. LOL

22 wheels, sounds like you'll have weight for traction so there is an advantage.

I don't miss it to everyone's surprise, your day will come, stay safe. 🌻

Something my past job and being an outdoorsman taught me was how to take all the weather data available and make plans accordingly and this one doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong but either way I stocked up on firewood in the house and lots of goodies to eat and drink , my gas tanks are topped off and everything else outside wrapped up and put away. Will test fire the generator tomorrow morning and after that sit back and watch the show. Hopefully Christmas Day will be nice but the morning may be "iffy"... again I may be wrong and hopefully so.

Point of interest ; Winter officially arrived at 1648hrs today December 21st, 2022. The longest night of the year.
The days are only getting longer from here. Summer is just around the corner :)

Lots of past trips are flooding my mind @Fshrmn4life, some real dandys. LOL

22 wheels, sounds like you'll have weight for traction so there is an advantage.

I don't miss it to everyone's surprise, your day will come, stay safe. 🌻

I pull tri axle van's or 4 axle end dumps or 5 axle hoppers up until the new year when I switch jobs so traction definitely ain't an issue unless on ice. New job I'll be pulling a 10 axle combination pulling trains so traction won't be an issue there also.
In a sense I think a very small part of you does miss some of it a little but I may be wrong. Driving truck is like Pringles, once you start it's very hard to stop lol

Same company will just be a brand new truck and new or newer set of trains this time around

When automatics came in I became an unhappy rebel. I fought to keep my stick for years until leasing companies refused to put sticks in to fleet units and all there was were autos.

In the last months of my tenure I had a rad split and the only Ryder rental had a 13 in it.

Maintenance overlord sheepishly asks if I can drive a stick.

I tongue in cheek said, well that is the most insulting thing I've been asked as a driver.

His reply was over 75% of the current company drivers can't so it was a must question. 🤯 :oops:

It was time to go. 🌻

When automatics came in I became an unhappy rebel. I fought to keep my stick for years until leasing companies refused to put sticks in to fleet units and all there was were autos.

In the last months of my tenure I had a rad split and the only Ryder rental had a 13 in it.

Maintenance overlord sheepishly asks if I can drive a stick.

I tongue in cheek said, well that is the most insulting thing I've been asked as a driver.

His reply was over 75% of the current company drivers can't so it was a must question. 🤯 :oops:

It was time to go. 🌻
Can't blame you there, only place I didn't mind an auto was the 1 trip I drove one through the mountains running from Concord, ON to Surrey BC and in Calgary rush hour but still didn't feel right in a truck. I run 18 speeds all the time and love them, although shift them as a 13 95% of the time but when needed the reduction helps. Been running heavy for most of my 22 years driving

Won't be the same truck or trains but same set up, just brand new. Trains are my favorite not only for the challenge but maneuverability too. On end dumps you back them up hooked up often and the lift axles on both trailers are amazing to help once you figure them out

Attachments

• IMG00495-20120208-1627.jpg
    IMG00495-20120208-1627.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 18
I hear both of you lol, and I STILL miss it and it's been almost 9 years now., but then again I was forced out of the truck by injury not by choice so that probably has a lot to do with still missing it, that and knowing what I was making $ wise compared to now. Driven on some pretty dicey roads out west in winter conditions, including in the mountains and I was glad I had 10, 13, or 18 as opposed to the automatics I periodically drove once I moved back here. Much preferred the stick to the auto, felt like I had more control of the truck.

Come work out side with me and say that . Instead of Ya this one time when I was in my warm truck it looked real cold out.

I've worn a full skidoo suit including the boots mitts and balaclava while driving up north (Ontario for Trevor) in the past.

Still had to stop multiple times to allow the truck a break from the windchill.

Had a steering box on a cabover freeze solid in the S curves just before Latchford Ont.

Now that will get your attention in a hurry.

Interesting watching the mechanic remove the bottom plug and nothing come out until the torches are applied, and then what did come out was lumpy and mucky.

I make no judgement against anybody's working conditions, but suggesting it's all warm and fuzzy in the rocking chair isn't so. LOL

It's much better than the past, hell I just missed belt driven drivelines when I started. 🌻

Last edited:
Agreed 18s are the best, although a 13 double OD with the right rear ends can certainly get the blood rushing. LOL. 🌻

sometimes at work in the greenhouse the climate in some zones where the plants are getting big is set to 16c brrrrr 🥶 working in those areas on those days can be challenging... 🤷‍♂️

It can be tougher in the summer when its hot it is HOT 🥵🌶️

Well Trevor I to lived in Edmonton for almost 5 years not long ago. I found the cold out there very dry and not that bad. I would walk from our manufacturing plant to my service plant in a short sleeve shirt at -18 and did not find it too bad. I find the wet cold here in Southern Ontario much worse than out west. -30 in Edmonton is about the same as -8 here. Just my opinion.

Well Trevor I to lived in Edmonton for almost 5 years not long ago. I found the cold out there very dry and not that bad. I would walk from our manufacturing plant to my service plant in a short sleeve shirt at -18 and did not find it too bad. I find the wet cold here in Southern Ontario much worse than out west. -30 in Edmonton is about the same as -8 here. Just my opinion.
Short sleeve in -18
Lmao okay
Love these kind of stories

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks