3 die-hard boats trolling front of Niagara river

I would not agree with the last sentence. While trolling lake O east of Promenade I ve seen several times a blow boat going right at us full speed with nobody watching . Was a very close call twice.
I bought an air horn just for such occasions.

I want to know how these people get insurance to cover them out there this time of year..
mine has to be out of water dec 1st- march 1st

It depends on your coverage, I have no restrictions on use for my rig, I made sure to confirm this prior both on the phone and through policy documents.

I shopped around quite a bit for boat insurance. Some are just standard with a layup period from Dec-Mar when you are not covered on the water. Some require professional winterizing for frost damage to be covered during the layup period. Others offer both standard boat insurance as well as no layup period for 365 coverage.

You can get coverage for a rental boat to use if yours gets damaged, towing, and collision (lower unit is covered) so there's options.

I cannot recall the name of the best one I found, but I believe it was in Barrie. I opted not to go for insurance. Boating is so low risk compared to driving a vehicle on the road.
North Star marine insurance?

I would not agree with the last sentence. While trolling lake O east of Promenade I ve seen several times a blow boat going right at us full speed with nobody watching . Was a very close call twice.
I bought an air horn just for such occasions.
I am not the type of person who cares for insurance... if my old boat was stolen or destroyed I would hate it, but I wouldn't be stuck making payments on it. I am the type who skips comprehensive coverage and keeps a high deductible on my cars.

But having the liability coverage on the boat seems worthwhile, especially in Southern Ontario where spots get more busy. You could make a mistake, end up in court, and have a huge bill to pay (i.e. lose your house etc).

And getting back to the original topic- good for those guys still getting out!

i am with april marine and layup period is nov 30th- april, i get additonal coverage for musky season until dec 15th at no charge, just have to ask in writing ahead of time

Great information folks...Thank you! I never thought about the insurance company not covering my boat with winter fishing...now I'll do some checking ...and reading! Thanks again to all for the info!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks